razor burn

Ladies, (or men) I have been noticing I get terrible razor burn between my thighs and my bikini area since I've been hitting the gym. Does anyone have any tips for preventing this? I shave with a clean razor and moisturize after.

Replies

• ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Razor burn.. or are you chaffing?? If you are sweating and your legs are rubbing together for an extended period of time (ie.Running, cycling) then this will happen. You could try applying some corn starch or baby powder to the areas before a workout to help keep it dry. Hope that helps!
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Thank you! It's razor burn =( my thighs touch when I jog, walk, use the elliptical... lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    Spandex. Works every time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Ladies, (or men) I have been noticing I get terrible razor burn between my thighs and my bikini area since I've been hitting the gym. Does anyone have any tips for preventing this? I shave with a clean razor and moisturize after.
    Have you thought about wearing mid thigh spandex underneath your shorts? I wear them whenever I run, and it prevents the chaffing.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    /\ agree... look for "compression shorts". There are tons of companies that make them, I have a pair from underarmour and a pair from nike... pretty much the same thing. I wear them under my workout shorts when I do distance running, biking, etc etc. Helps keep irritation (chafing or razor burn) from being aggravated.
  • I use body glide for my long runs helps prevent chaffing

I do notice sweat and cold wind irritates my face for a few hours after shaving (slight stinging sensation)
  • ashleyShades
    Thank you! I'll look for a pair of compression shorts!
  • ashleyShades
    Also, has anyone noticed if they like one brand of compression shorts over another?
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Careful with the compression shorts, they actually gave me really horrible heat rash! Of course I was in them for a 12 hour race in 100 degree heat so that didn't help....

Make sure you're not using cotton clothing, it hangs on to moisture. Body Glide works great if you put it on pre-workout. If it gets really bad, the doctor can give you a prescription-strength cream to prevent/heal everything. It was a life-saver for me!
  • ashleyShades
    Thanks for the tips
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    I personally don't really care for compression shorts, have friends who swear by them. I like loose shorts, that are about knee length made out of a material that will wick perspiration away from your body. Kept me from chafing in 7 triathlons.