Total Gym Calorie counter

Options
Hi All,

I found this website that gives calories burned for the total gym. You enter your weight and the amount of time spent working out. http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-total-gym-workout:happy:

Replies

• Adamover30
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!
  • mike5802
    mike5802 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am doubting the accuracy of that calculator. I put in my current weight, 197, and 1 hour duration and got 715 calories. That is double any other high estimate that I've found for the total gym. I do love this machine (I've got a cheaper one). I generally plug in 250 per hour calories for my weight.

By the way, the last time that I lost 25 lbs. This thing not only will help you lose weight, it will build muscle without killing yourself with weights. I used it extensively - so much that I wore the rubber off the glide wheels (common). I replaced the rubber-coated wheels with nylon ones available on the web, and it is silky smooth now and won't wear out.

- Mike
  • cheekymomma
    cheekymomma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mike - is it 250 cal/hr for dudes? And can you tell me where you came up with the number? I've searched all over the Total Gym site, LiveStrong, BuddySlim, etc. and I can't seem to find a consistent number for the amount of calories burned on the Total Gym and it's driving me crazy because I can't get a good feel for how much I'm burning. And since I want to lose weight, that makes it hard to know if I'm burning enough calories vs eating enough. I understand a lot of it is based on how much I weigh, but it seems like there should be a calculator out there somewhere that takes into account the height you set the machine and your weight.
  • mike5802
    mike5802 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My estimate for the TG is based on my subjective comparison to other exercise, like walking. For example, an hour of moderate walking according to my pedometer is about 300 calories, and I know that circuit training on the TG takes more effort than walking!

You see, a TG's resistence is relative to your weight (not gender). It's an inclined plane, so at 25% incline, a 200lb person is lifting 50lbs, whereas a 120 lb person is only lifting 30 lbs. It's hard to find hard numbers for any strength training. The upshot is that if you build more muscle, your metabolic rate will increase and burn more calories all the time.

livestrong.com does have a link indicating that a 205 lb person will burn 250 cal/hr on the TG:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/301916-how-many-calories-are-burned-using-a-total-gym/

- Mike
  • VASMA63
    VASMA63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link, Mike - I usually don't give myself caloric credit for my strength sessions, but need a little motivation on my wall, so am using your link as a guide, (and rounding down).
  • sara7088
    sara7088 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Link
  • KennBren07
    KennBren07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify... the livestrong link given by Mike5802 states 250 calories per HALF hour for a 205 person.