Greek Restaurant - What to Order!?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm going to a Greek restaurant for a birthday lunch for one of my coworkers. I wanted to "scout-out" the menu, do a little research, and then order something healthy, but I can't locate a menu online. I'm not very familiar with Greek food, and I'd rather go to the restaurant armed with a bit of knowledge!

For those of you familiar with Greek food, do you have any recommendations on what to order that will be healthy/low-cal?

Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    The last Greek restaurant I went to had steak so I ate steak and vegetables. With about 8 glasses of water
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Most have yummy salad options

chicken shawarma or chicken kabobs are pretty good choices
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i love hummus, that would be a healthy option. i dont eat meat but kabobs with veggies on would be a good pick it you do. i would opt for broiled fish. i'd be mindful of the carbs ie with the hummus see if you can get veggies instead of the pita. or if you want the pita, bc it is delicious-watch your portion size. if they have tabouli, that's an absolute MUST for me! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I like to get a gyro plate and only use a small amount of pita bread. I also like falafel. Shawarma and kabobs are good, too, and you can skip the pita and just dip in hummus! Yum.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    greek food is the best <3
    just enjoy yourself and go over your cals - one meal won't hurt
    honestly this kind of food is the ONLY kind of food i'd go over for
  • meldel49
    meldel49 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lot of Greek Restaurant have fresh fish shipped in. Their salads are delicious. Just have the dressing on the side so you can add your own olive oil and vinegar. Do not have the pastitsio since that is pasta, meat and bechamel sauce. Spinach pie has a lot of butter between the pastry leaves and by all means avoid the desserts, like baklava, yalatoboureko, etc. You can have any chicken dish especially the kabobs with tsatziki sauce. Yogurt and cucumber sauce. If you have any other questions re: Greek Food I will explain all you need. Go and enjoy as long as you have an idea as to what is on their menu. Avgolemono soup consists of eggs, lemon, chicken and rice. Dolmathes is grapevine leaves stuffed with white rice with avgolemon sauce. Some places have a mixture of meat and rice wrapped in grapevine leaves.
  • Misseena
    Misseena Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful tips!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Souvlaki is probably your best bet. But, the pita will be a lot more cals than the normal pita you get in a grocery store. If you like cucumbers and tomatoes, get a village salad too. Another favorite of mine is Avgolemono soup.

Enjoy!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The Greek restaurant I like has chicken souvlaki served on skewers, with veggies. Mmm.