Tylenol- GOOD OR BAD??

Options
On day's where you're muscles are so sore- Today was day 3 of P90X and I can hardly move. Is it bad to take a tylenol or advil?? I'm drinking tons of water.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have some inherent problem with them, either should be fine.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I don't get much relief from either for muscle soreness, but some people do. Either should be fine to take if you stick to the recommended dosage.

Hot bath with epsom salt, foam roller, stretching, light exercise all give me more relief from sore muscles.

The first month or so of P90X was constant soreness for me

79qngn.jpg
  • rhalpin86
    Options
    ^^^^ BAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink water by the ton
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Water (don't listen to Fire_Rock). Advil. And some heating/cooling pads should do the trick. Alternate heat and cold... it works for me. :)

But mostly I just experience the pain and chalk it up to growth. Feels like I'm DOING something when I hurt and I like that.
  • trishmce
    Options
    Hi,
    I got this information at a continuing ed seminar run by sports nutritionist Nancy Clark, she is not a quack and this is what I have always told my clients.
    There was a study done by Tylenol that they spent millions of dollars on to prove Tylenol would be better than Advil for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). It was never publicized because of the findings. Tylenol and Advil stop the body's inflammatory response thus preventing the nerves from reacting and decreasing the sensation of pain. Here lies the problem, The inflammation response is necessary for he muscle fibers to repair and become stronger. These medications both prevented the muscles from getting stronger. So, if you take it you actually are contradicting what you are trying to do. Flush your system of waste in the tissue by drinking lots of water and doing light cardio--jog or walk.
    This is truly a case of pain/gain
    Hope this helps
    Here is an excerpt:

In a fourth study, 24 males were randomly assigned to receive either three doses of acetaminophen (totaling 4000 mg), three doses of ibuprofen (totaling 1200 mg), or placebo capsules indistinguishable from the other pills. DOMS was induced with eccentric knee contractions. The drug doses were administered at the onset of the injury protocol, and then at six-hour intervals, with a fourth dose the following morning. A muscle biopsy was taken five hours later to assess repair indicators like inflammatory cell concentration and the presence of neutrophils.

Neutrophil concentrations were not significantly altered 24 hours after exercise, nor were inflammatory cell levels affected by either treatment. Furthermore, both acetaminophen and ibuprofen reduced protein synthesis, suggesting that these drugs may negatively regulate muscle growth after eccentric exercise.

The researchers conclude that maximal over-the-counter doses of ibuprofen or acetaminophen do not show signs of aiding the muscle repair process 24 hours after inducing soreness, and may even diminish muscle strength in the long run.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/DOMS+and+what+to+do+about+it.-a0191325794
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    For me they typically work this way. If I do a new exercise where I'm hitting new muscle groups that will be sore the next day, if I take Advil that night after the workout but before the soreness sets in, that usually minimizes or prevents it all together. Once the soreness has set in (as long as it's not an injury) I find that Tylenol does a better job of knocking out the pain.

Personally, I rarely take either however. I like the soreness from working muscles in new ways, it confirms for me that my workout is doing what I want it to.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    You may also experience a slightly faster recovery time (don't expect miracles) with these supplements

* Glutamine
    * BCAA
    * ZMA
    * Protein and carbs directly following workout

I use GI nutrition recovery (tastes like ****, but i do notice the difference)