Weightloss-Workplace, advice/help ... please! ;)

Options
Ok ? for ya'll ... I work pt at a daycare/preschool & we have snack in the afternoon. We are "forced" to eat snack & drink with the kids because it, "shows a good example" ... I've tried not taking snack & was pretty much scolded by the older lady who works with me. Snack is usually juice and/or milk with canned fruits, cinn rolls, white crackers, ceral or granola bars. This may not seem "bad" to some people BUT for someone fighting HARD to loose the last 20lbs by avoiding carbs and processed foods, this is very frusterating. What are some suggestions or feedback on this? I'm honestly, stressing out about this & this just seems so silly to me. HELP PLEASE ANYONE!? :)

Replies

• coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar situation with my job....and just said no. What I put in my body is MY choice. It's not like she can fire you over it. Or you could try to get them to do healthier snacks for the kids....or, if all else fails, develop a pretend allergy. :)
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    How much of it do you have to have? A few sips or bites won't hurt as long as you account for the calories in your overall food plan. Do you have to have some of everything? Why not have water as your beverage and then have some of the granola and/or canned fruit for a snack.

Also, why don't you suggest some healthier choices? Baby carrots are healthy and kids tend to like them. Raisons make a great snack and are generally pretty cheap and easy. Peanut butter and celery---loved it when I was a kid. Same with cream cheese and celery. Grapes or sliced apples are good in place of canned fruit, healthier, probably cheaper and kids like them too.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Could you bring your own snack like baby carrots and celery sticks? That way you can avoid what you're trying to avoid and demonstrate healthy snacking.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I'd tell that lady to get stuffed!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont eat fruit??
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Talk to your supervisor and get her/him to intervene with the other lady. By being your desired weight you will be happier, less likely to get ill, and still a good example. Yes, little kids don't always know the cues that say "I'm hungry" but you should also be able to model listening to your body and not eating when you are not hungry.

Worst comes to worst, can you get your doctor or a dietician to write a letter exempting you from eating snack? Seems silly that an adult has to do that, but it may be what you need.

Or, eat an alternative snack (if allowed) of something basically calorie free, like a small stalk of celery (with nothing on it,) and some water. (Get in those 8 glasses a day!) Also, you can explain to the kids that kids need more energy producing food because they are growing. Unless they are under 1 or 2, they should be able to understand that you don't need to eat the same way that you do.

It may be that the older woman is threatened by your weight loss and is using this as a way to get you off track.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    isnt it also important to teach children good eating habits? Like eating only when you are hungry, making healthy choices, etc?

Besides, I don't think that legally they can make you eat a snack.
  • jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat a snack, I agree with other posters. See if you can substitute a snack of your choice. However, it might be a good teaching opportunity to talk about not eating if you're not hungry. My husband and I have spent most of our lives being overweight. Part of my struggle includes emotional eating, not wanting to waste food, eating just because it is there, etc. We have a two year old who is VERY inconsistent with is eating habits. He will chow down like a maniac some days and then just want to graze the next. We try to be very aware of not telling him he has to eat just because it is meal time or finish his meal if he isn't hungry so that he doesn't develop the same habits we had.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Talk to your supervisor and get her/him to intervene with the other lady. By being your desired weight you will be happier, less likely to get ill, and still a good example. Yes, little kids don't always know the cues that say "I'm hungry" but you should also be able to model listening to your body and not eating when you are not hungry.

Worst comes to worst, can you get your doctor or a dietician to write a letter exempting you from eating snack? Seems silly that an adult has to do that, but it may be what you need.

Or, eat an alternative snack (if allowed) of something basically calorie free, like a small stalk of celery (with nothing on it,) and some water. (Get in those 8 glasses a day!) Also, you can explain to the kids that kids need more energy producing food because they are growing. Unless they are under 1 or 2, they should be able to understand that you don't need to eat the same way that you do.

It may be that the older woman is threatened by your weight loss and is using this as a way to get you off track.

I agree with Crazy Cat Lady :D
  • StephieGettingSkinny
    Options
    I am so sorry not to have replied until now - I just noticed your responses ... things actually worked out real and I avoided confronting the lady. A few months ago I was moved to a different area due to my college schedule of classes, now the kids eat Bfast and I'm not "forced" to eat with them! ;)

Before transfering I did mention (at my 90 day review) this issue of being pretty much "forced" into eating snack with the kids by my old manager ... the lady was shocked that she had made a "rule" like that and said she would put an end to that. Also, she went on to say their meals "are healthy" ... I don't agree with her 100% but I didn't argue since I was moved by that point in time.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice - it's appreciated ! ;)
  • Blessed4x
    Blessed4x Posts: 20
    Options
    Why in the world wouldn't the kids' snacks be something a little healthier with the other stuff an ocassional treat? Maybe you need to offer some healthy suggestions to changing the kids' snack program. Hit some parents up, see what they think. Maybe you can get them on your side. Hang in there kiddo.