Working out in the evening: What to eat after?

Options
I find myself going to the gym after work and not getting home until after 8pm. I hate eating so late especially since I try to be in bed at a decent time but don't want to skip out on a meal after a workout. Any ideas what I could eat that won't make me too full but will help me not feel ravenous after a workout?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    eat whatever fits into your macros and calorie limit. I am also a night time person and what I eat afterwards just depends on what I NEED to eat.
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of a fruit or veggie with some protein after a later workout. My personal go-to is some celery or an apple with peanut butter. Sometimes I drink some milk too. All depends on what else I've eaten throughout the day and how hungry I am afterwards.
  • Frazzlenz
    Frazzlenz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    a chocolate protein shake
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've just been eating fruit like strawberries. I don't feel hungry enough after to have a full meal right before bed.
  • Thrasherbabe
    Thrasherbabe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    After a long, hard workout (at night) I make sure to get a good amount of protein in my meal. If I'm too tired I'll whip up a protein shake with almond milk, protein powder, peanut butter and half a banana. SO yummy, and helps get rid of the late night sweet tooth!
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I work out late too and I usually have a cup of plain Greek yogurt with ground flax seed and fresh fruit. The protein from the yogurt and the fiber from the flax seed and fruit keep me satisfied without all the calories.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I work out after work as well so I try to make sure I get a lot of protein after my workout. That makes me feel fuller without having to eat a lot. Typically I'll do a protein shake and some kind of chili/beans, tuna, chicken, etc. Good luck!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am like you, I work out after work and normally get home about 8.30 pm. I have a protein shake immediately after my work out, but then will eat a propper meal and go to bed about 10 - 10.30 pm. Doesn't cause me any problems eating late.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I run after my kids are in bed, which means I'm not out the door until 8:30 at the earliest (don't worry, my wife and I alternate days, so I'm "stuck" with the kids on my non-running days). I'm getting back into the habit of my "normal" evening snack:

1 scoop protein powder (currently enjoying the Dymatize Elite Gourmet blend)
    2 servings frozen fruit medley (or 1 serving frozen fruit and 1 frozen banana)
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk

Blend the hell out of it with a hand blender. It's like fresh ice cream and it's delicious.

I've done this on both days I work out and days I don't. It's around 270 calories for the whole kit and kaboodle,
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    eat whatever fits into your macros and calorie limit. I am also a night time person and what I eat afterwards just depends on what I NEED to eat.

^This. I workout in the early evening after work and almost always eat a regular dinner after my workout.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after I get home from work. I cook then eat dinner when I get home - It's usually 9-9:30, sometimes 10pm when I eat dinner. It doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Oh forget that.

I eat almost all my calorie intake at night.

I HATE sleeping on an empty stomach.

Eat according to your macros and calories. If you don't like sleeping on a full stomach and aren't hungry after your workout then don't eat.

It's entirely up to you.
  • asenet78
    asenet78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! This was very helpful. Last night I worked out and had a tuna salad in a wrap and felt good, not too full but satisfied. The protein shakes are definitely a good idea also, any recommendations on which ones to get or is it all basically the same stuff?