Not enough protein...

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm a MyFitnessPal newbie and am super excited about the possibilities this website opens up for me in terms of being more mindful of the nutritional content of my food.

Doing so has brought it to my attention that I infatuated with carbohydrate laden foods and am pitifully low on my protein intake.

Do you have some suggestions for getting more protein and less carbohydrates in my diet?

I have two weeks left until I graduate with my masters so some quick, simple stuff would be helpful (Taxation of Conduit Entities needs a lot of attention right now...) But, some other ideas that require more preparation time would also be great...

Thanks

Replies

• lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi! Another MFP friend told me to change my protein and carb intake because MFP automatically sets carbs way too high and proteins too low. I followed her example and set my protein to 40%, my carbs to 35%, and my fat to 25% to equal 100%. It has definitely helped because it allows me to become more conscious of my food choices throughout the day. To switch your setting, go to Goals and then Change Goals.

Some great ways to get protein are:

- fish (tuna, haddock, cod, salmon)
    - lean meats, like boneless, skinless chicken breast
    - soybeans (I love Trader Joe's edamame)
    - peanut butter
    - milk
    - cheese
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    the easiest way to add more protein is to do the protein powder shakes.....i love the pure protein "frosty chocolate"---if you use a little less water it tastes like chocolate Silk, imo. also i use the vanilla flavor and add it to a glass of oj and give it a spin in my little magic bullet blender--yummy!
    i know there are lots of other ways---but if you are looking for easy, this will get the job done until you have time to focus on bigger menu changes.

congrats on getting your master's! way to go!!!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes these drinks with 40 g of soy protein in them......they are delicious....though high in calories (for the whole bottle of 32 oz.), if you drink only half you still get a great jump on proteing for the day.....they are a great breakfast for me, as I have to be at work by 6:45 am!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Meat in general will give you protein, nuts, tofu, cottage cheese, protein powder, egg whites, I prefer almond butter to peanut butter, but the protein count is the same in both. Asparagus, beans and lentils, quinoa, cheese, yogurt and milk, watch the cheese though, loaded with fat. Oatmeal, brown rice, Sardines, anchovies, mackerel, tuna, salmon, Clms, ricotta cheese, oysters, perch, ricotta cheese, sour cream, shrimp. and black walnuts...there's a ton more, but i'm brain farting right now.