Worried about the summer when I won't be able to use MPF...

Options
I work at a camp all summer. I might be able to log in to MPF once or twice a week but definitely not everyday like I have been doing.

I am just worried I will lose my progress. We have big breakfasts, lunches and suppers. But it is also a very active camp. Everyday we have worship (very active- jumping dancing type) 3 times, we play 2-3 running games a day, go on hikes with our stuff on our back that are a few miles long, and some weeks go on our canoe trip (canoeing for about 4 hours on a river). So I am not worried about being active, but with the bump up in my exercise I know I will need to eat more calories than I am now, but I just don't want to over do it.

We have wifi in the staff building, but I only have 3 hours breaks in one whole week (24-6) and most of the time I use that time to plan for the following day.

Just let me know any tips or anything at all to give me some advice? Thanks!

Replies

• cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Make good choices like chicken and veggies, salads with dressing on the side, eggs or egg whites or oatmeal at breakfast. Stay away from heavy cream sauce pastas or extras such as bread/rolls or desserts. It's willpower which most of us struggle with or we wouldn't be here! But remember that everyday is a chance to get it right. What we weigh and how we look is up to US! If you do splurge, get right back on it the next day!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Bring a small notebook and pen and just write it down the old fashioned way. You'll probably need to come armed with calorie counts for the items they cook there, but I would assume there isn't much of a variety, so it shouldn't be too much prep work.
  • jmosborn32
    Options
    Bring a small notebook and pen and just write it down the old fashioned way. You'll probably need to come armed with calorie counts for the items they cook there, but I would assume there isn't much of a variety, so it shouldn't be too much prep work.

This. Also, maybe the camp actually has nutrition information for the food they cook. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Make good choices like chicken and veggies, salads with dressing on the side, eggs or egg whites or oatmeal at breakfast. Stay away from heavy cream sauce pastas or extras such as bread/rolls or desserts. It's willpower which most of us struggle with or we wouldn't be here! But remember that everyday is a chance to get it right. What we weigh and how we look is up to US! If you do splurge, get right back on it the next day!

Thats the thing, I don't get to CHOOSE the meals, it is sort of like a school meal setup, everyone gets the same thing, only the food is better lol

--Also, I am vegetarian
  • purpleprose
    Options
    It sounds like you'll be nice and active, so just watch portion sizes and limit the indulgences. It's hard to lose the crutch that is MFP, though - I was in India for a few weeks a few years ago and had intermittent WIFI but that was it. PLUS I had no idea what was in the majority of the food I was eating. I watched portions, didn't have most desserts (or split with someone if something looked good) and came home a few pounds lighter (we had gyms in all the hotels).

It's do-able. Plus, if you have the app on your phone, you can just add the foods offline and it'll give you a general sense of how you're doing. You can make it work!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you'll have your phone on you or could have your phone....use the mobile app.
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you can chose not to eat it all, to only eat portions.
    you can also ask the kitchen to omit things from your meals. as a former incredibly picky eater i can tell you, no matter where you are you can get substitutions if you ***** enough.
  • Sholmes82
    Options
    What about pre prepping your meals for the day in storage containers and bring them with you to work??..also bring healthy snacks that you can have on hand to get you through: nuts,apple,healthy pop popcorn,etc..and then log your food when you get home if you can't during the day
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I loved camp.. sounds just like the place (except different activities).. sounds like you will be active so just try to eat the same portion sizes and don't over do it on dessert
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, right now, you're training yourself to be able to make healthy choices while you're there. You will be moving and doing things all day so you'll be burning calories, just not at the gym. It will be okay!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You have several months before you go. Learn healthy choices now, roughly how many cals your fave foods are or the cals of a general food they ahve there and keep a notebook. AFter awhile, making good choices should become a natural way of life.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    By summer time hopefully you'll learned enough to eat correctly by Camp.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I worked at camps for years too so I know exactly what you mean. Do you know how far in advance the kitchen staff will plan what they'll be serving? Maybe as the meal plans are developed you can get copies so you can get online, get the calorie counts and then track manually. Over the next little while, pay close attention to portion sizes you by the time you go, you'll have a good gut feeling for how much you can eat.

I think especially with all of the increased activity, you'll be okay!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You just have to pay attention but I can't imagine a camp that doesn't accomodate diet restrictions of it's customers. (I know your not a customer but an employee but .....)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I always lost weight at those camps because I hate cafeteria style food. One time I found a bug in the mac n cheese -_-
  • kelshel35
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have this option but you could bring a desert plate for lunch. It is smaller, you can fill it up and still feel like you are getting enough food. It all comes down to portion control. You can eat whatever you want, just in moderation. The foods that are worse for you tend to take up more of your calories and leave you hungry but you can still eat them. You will be very active and that burns more calories than you think.

I'm not sure if you have acess to a menu before hand but you could look at it and pre log it in the morning so you know how big of portions you are allowed along with the exercise already being logged. Just a thought! I hope that helps!!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've volunteered in the kitchen of the camp I went to as a kid. Even being on my feet all day, I don't think I lost weight and may have gained. But I wasn't keeping track of what/how much I was eating. Our camp cook was really awesome about special diets. We had a couple of staff who ate gluten free and at least one vegetarian on staff.

Hopefully, your camp cook will work with your eating plan. I would really focus on learning portion sizes now and then work with the cook regarding what you eat. I'd also write down everything just as if you were entering it in MFP and, maybe, enter it once a week online.

Enjoy camp!!!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was camp nurse at camp for several years. You will be super active. Food was only put out 3 times an day and snack at fireside, so no snacking. Don't worry about it. Watch your portions and select more healthier portions. Have a great time!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you'll have your phone on you or could have your phone....use the mobile app.

Won't have my phone, I'll be with the kids.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. any set back from routine is challenging.. I def feel like I have become reliant on MFP and if I wasnt able to log on, I would probably die! I would just take in account everything you have learned along the way and do what im certain you know what needs to be done. It sounds like you will def be plenty active while there, maybe try adding in some extra workouts if you have any down or free time and Since you dont choose what you eat, I would just make sure to stay mindful of how MUCH your eating of it, and try to limit your portions. I dont know if its doable but maybe you could bring up if they could add in a few healthier options in their menu..maybe they would listen and take that in consideration if you talked to them? But yeah I would def just remember what matters to you most, keep in mind everything you have learned, keep as active as much as possible & def just watch your portion sizes on the food but most of all just dont stress it :) good luck!