Any of you using Stevia?

Options
jogy
jogy Posts: 77 Member
I was wondering if any of you are using Stevia instead of sugar or sweeteners? I am thinking about it but I was wondering if it tastes good and is there any side effects to that product? Thanks:flowerforyou:

Replies

• heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just switched from years of Splenda to Truvia. It doesn't taste as sweet, and you use more of it, but I'm OK with it. I just read somewhere else on MFP though that it may not be all natural, not true stevia, so I have to go home and read my box. I'm curious what others have to say.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    We stevia for our kids water. They have the liquid form at our local health food store and you only need 2-3 drops of it. Also they make it in flavors so if yo don't like water you can flavor it with that and it's healthy!
  • kboigirl
    Options
    Stevia is fine and has been used in other countries for centuries. I tend to like green stevia (the dried and ground herb) better than white stevia (the extracted and processed sweet part) because it has a clean sweetness and a slightly herbal flavor. However, it is not as sweet and doesn't mix into beverages and stuff as easily. Truvia is nice because it has been processed into crystals which melt on the tongue in a similar way to sugar. Truvia also has the clean sweetness with less of the bitter aftertaste of normal white stevia. Of course it's processed--that's the only way to get the sweetener out of the herb. You cannot bake with stevia in the same way as sugar because it does not act chemically like sugar. It does make a good alternative as a sweetener in beverages, on cereal or oatmeal, and I like to sprinkle a packet over frozen fruit and pour skim milk on top for a frozen dessert like ice cream.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have tried 3 different kinds, and so far, have found all to make my coffee taste really bitter.
    I have yet to find one that does not do that, so I am still using splenda.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia all the time, have been for about 5 years now. No side effects for me. I get the liquid drops for iced tea in the summer. I use the packets for coffee/tea. I can't taste a difference, though I don't think it's as sweet as Splenda, which I actually like.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I have tried 3 different kinds, and so far, have found all to make my coffee taste really bitter.
    I find it bitter, too. Splenda is definitely better.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    in my non expert op i concur
  • cameyrio1
    Options
    I think it taste great...:smile:
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have used it, but much prefer the taste of xylitol, another all natural sweetener.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate the over-sweet taste of Splenda. I much prefer stevia (or truvia). I really like pop made with it.
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    FYI, I don't like Splenda and it's aftertaste. If Stevia is less sweet, I guess I should enjoy it! Thanks everyone. As for recipes, I found some on the Dashing Dishes website. I am not a member so I only collected the recipes that were free. :happy: