Belly Fat Problems!!

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wanting to know if anyone else on here is having trouble loosing their belly fat? The rest of me seems to be slimming down, a little at a time, but my belly still looks the same :(. I have only lost 11lbs. (after adding and subtracting a few lbs. a month) since September and I really need some help with getting this belly flab off. I workout atleast 4 times a week or more for approx 45mins-1 hour with a combination of strength training (weight lifting mostly) and walking/running on treadmil or doing the eliptical.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jenny

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I'ts just part of the deal. Genetics (and possibly hormones) control where you store / lose fat. There is really nothing you can do to control it.

Get your body fat numbers down low enough, and the belly fat will go away. A balance of calorie counting, attention to macros, cardio, and strength training will get your body fat down
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    agreed everytime i have lost weight it comes off in different areas. It will take time but keep at it and you will have that flat belly in no time.
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    Yes I do have belly fat problems also.... Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :smile:
  • julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'ts just part of the deal. Genetics (and possibly hormones) control where you store / lose fat. There is really nothing you can do to control it.

Get your body fat numbers down low enough, and the belly fat will go away. A balance of calorie counting, attention to macros, cardio, and strength training will get your body fat down

this. you can't spot reduce. chances are the first place you gained weight, is going to be the last place you lost it.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    you cant target fat loss , keep doing what you are doing and be patient it will come. try to reduce the stress in your life also helps since cortisol makes you store fat between your digestive organs ... go to the gym and lift heavy !
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    same with me. it is frustrating, but i have to look at the big picture....it is slowly coming off and i'm eating better and feel better than i did a few months ago. don't get discouraged :) you are not alone...
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    yes!! I was even at 105 lbs before, and i still didn't have a super flat, no fat, super awesome tummy... and i was eating right!!

I think i was cursed. :cry:
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Sad to say that I've lost 54 pounds and hit my goal weight and body fat % but there is still some belly fat hanging around.
    If you find the secret pass it on! Good luck with your journey.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my belly sticks out so far that i look pregnant. ive lost 32 pounds and inches off everywhere but my belly. you just have to keep losing weight and exercising it will eventually get smaller
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Sadly I'm starting to think with women this is probably the last to go. I've visibly lost weight everywhere else but here.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Mine is FINALLY starting to move. And it is taking strength training...though right now mostly all I am doing is body weight exercises and a bit with dumbbells.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was wanting to know if anyone else on here is having trouble loosing their belly fat? The rest of me seems to be slimming down, a little at a time, but my belly still looks the same :(. I have only lost 11lbs. (after adding and subtracting a few lbs. a month) since September and I really need some help with getting this belly flab off. I workout atleast 4 times a week or more for approx 45mins-1 hour with a combination of strength training (weight lifting mostly) and walking/running on treadmil or doing the eliptical.

Thanks,

Jenny

Although everybody is different, I have the same issue and what I learned is that my calorie intake was too low for how much I was working out. Basically, I was putting my body in a "starvation mode" which induced belly fat. This problem is what led me to MFP so I can truly catalog what my body was ingesting on a daily basis. So far, I've lost almost three inches of belly fat. Additionally, I learned that my sodium intake was way to high, which led to water storage. What did I do to fix? I try to get all of my carbs from fruits and vegetables (zero empty carbs). Finally, I work very hard to ensure I am eating enough calories throughout the day. The great thing is my MFP buddies keep me in check!
  • 2nicewitit
    2nicewitit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the hardest to loose...i know. It is the last fat to loose and the hardest. Once you have cut a significant amount of weight, you then have to pay even closer attention to your diet, calorie deficit and sugar intake.

On top of that I found High Intensity Work Outs to really help out. You have to tap into the fat reserves. So its as if you have to work out soo hard, that your body has no choice but to use its reserves.

Good Luck!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Jenny

Although everybody is different, I have the same issue and what I learned is that my calorie intake was too low for how much I was working out. Basically, I was putting my body in a "starvation mode" which induced belly fat. This problem is what led me to MFP so I can truly catalog what my body was ingesting on a daily basis. So far, I've lost almost three inches of belly fat. Additionally, I learned that my sodium intake was way to high, which led to water storage. What did I do to fix? I try to get all of my carbs from fruits and vegetables (zero empty carbs). Finally, I work very hard to ensure I am eating enough calories throughout the day. The great thing is my MFP buddies keep me in check!

Starvation mode is a myth. You should certainly eat enough calories to sustain yourself (Don't try to lose more than 2 lbs per week), and there is evidence of reduced metabolism at severly restricted calories. But no weight loss due to "starvation mode' is not real.

This is a good overview of the issue http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I still have issues with belly fat, and I lost 40 lbs a few years back (whilst gaining and losing the same 5-8, lol). I'm 5'7" and 117 lbs and the area above and below my bellybutton still jiggles and hangs when I do push ups or planks.

I have to say, I blame my diet. While I do eat clean most of the time, my fondness for quality beer is what holds me back, hahaha. For now, i'm working on holding the beers off til cheat meals, and making sure I get plenty of HIIT cardio in that day!

Keep fine tuning your eating, and pay attention to sugars and refined carbs (cut them out!!). Lots of HIIT cardio should help lower your overall body fat in combination with strength training (lift heavy!)
  • aulisse
    aulisse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, sadly. I think what works best for me is watching my carb and sugar intake. Even when I was thin, I still had a lil pooch. I think a lot of women are in the same boat. Also I found that running as my cardio helped my core.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    you cant target fat loss , keep doing what you are doing and be patient it will come. try to reduce the stress in your life also helps since cortisol makes you store fat between your digestive organs ... go to the gym and lift heavy !
    Liposuction can target fat loss
  • csheaves
    csheaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Belly fat seems the hardest to get rid of ...crunches help as well as twists, elbow to oppisite knee, toe touches left hand to right foot..
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Have you measured? If you were losing everywhere else and your belly was the same size, it probably would look bigger (in comparison). There's a good chance you've lost some inches but don't recognize it because everything else is slimming down too.

And most women, especially if they've had children, will never completely get rid of the "pooch" (without surgery). There's a lot of internal organs and diet/exercise won't make them smaller. A good, tight set of abs can tuck them in more, but still …
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing, I lost 2stone last year, and my body looked so thin, but I still had this fat belly ?? like a tyre ... i have put 2 stone back on through a cr*p year last year, but Im 2 weeks into the new me and aiming to lose it again, the only difference is I will be doing the gym too not just dieting.. I would say just keep persisting with it.. once there is no fat anywhere else, it will probably start burning the belly fat.. good luck !