Provera Pill and weight loss?

Options
Is anybody currently taking the PILL Provera? (not the depo provera shot) I was prescribed it for amenorrhea and my doctor said I can choose to either take it now, or I can lose 20% of my body weight and see if my periods will start coming back before I start taking these pills.

Amenorrhea is a condition where periods just stop and 9 times out of 10 doctors don't know why.

Has anybody else taken Provera? I'm on 10mg for 2 weeks, and then I dont take it for 2 weeks and then I start taking it again and the cycle goes on. If you have taken it has it hindered your weight loss?

Is it recommended to take while trying to lose weight? My doctor said it was my call on whether or not to start taking the provera or lose 20% of my weight and see if my periods start again naturally. But I am unsure if I should take the pill while trying to lose weight.

Replies

• pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    I've taken it on and off for a few years. I've had experiance in the past where I lost loads of weight and it came back... but then I put the weight back on and it stopped again. I'm on it now if I don't have a 30 day I start 10 day cycle of provera. Doctor wants me to have one each month as we are trying to have a baby. My cycle has been really messed up since my miscarriage in 2010.

Good luck to you... losing weight is always the best way to get your body back to normal. Most docs want you to atleast have a cycle every 3 months.
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    Without being on birth control or taking provera I have only had 2 periods in the last 6 years that a pill didnt tell me to have. I'm not currently trying to get pregnant, but I do want to be able to in the future so my doctor has me trying different stuff now. He also told me to take folic acid and a prenatal vitamin as it would help me get proper nutrients so I can lose weight more effectively. But I've heard taking those vitamins can increase your chances of a baby so I'm nervous about taking them
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My sister had the same problem. She would only have 1 or 2 periods a year. She has lost over 100lbs and her periods are now becoming normal. If you go on the pill it will help regulate them. Losing weight will regulate them (most likely) and you will be healthier without adding hormones into your body. Good luck with whatever you choose =)
  • findingfab
    Options
    I take it on an "as needed" basis....usually once a quarter if I don't have a cycle. I haven't seen that it has affected my weighloss either way. My suggestion....keep logging your meals...aim for your nutrition goals, exercise and you'll be fine. If you find that the scale isn't budging or even going in the wrong direction, try increasing your water consumption as sometimes Provera can cause water rentention.

Unforunately everyones body reacts to meds differently, but hopefully this helps some. Good luck!