What can I do with black beans?

Options
saltedcaramel86
saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
Never tried them before but picked some up in the week. At a loss, so please share suggestions/recipes (don't eat meat though, thanks):flowerforyou:

Replies

• megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Make vegetarian chili!

Delicious Vegetarian Chili
    Exploring new options in the realm of vegetarian friendly cooking!

If I have logged this recipe correctly under my recipes it comes in at about 273 calories (without using the optional ingredients) per sering and yields 6 portions.

INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups vegetable broth
    1 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 tbsp chili powder
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    1 medium white onion, chopped
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 (4oz) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
    2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    3 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed & drained
    1 red bell pepper
    OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups shredded cheddar
    ¼ cup fresh cilantro
    top with sour cream
    PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients (except the cheese & cilantro) in your 3-4 quart slow cooker
    Cover & cook on low for 8 hours
    Stir in cilantro (if you decide to use it) just before serving
    Top with cheese (or save a few calories & don’t)
  • meganbook
    Options
    Having this for lunch! Cheap and easy to make, and it makes quite a bit!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-vegetable-soup/
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Get some macaroni noodles and make yourself a lil art project?? Or you could just follow one of the recipes :)
  • graciemom828
    Options
    You can mix them in salads, mix them with quinoa, mix them with rice/southwestern style foods. You can make dips, vegetarian chili. They're wonderful!!:smile:
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Add them to salads and soups.
  • mcmainsk
    mcmainsk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After draining and rinsing a can of low-sodium black beans, I like to put them on a whole-wheat flour tortilla, with a small bit of low fat cheese, some tomatoes and onions (cooked), some spices (my favorite is green chile powder) and top with an egg (cooked over-medium with some non-stick spray)....DELICIOUS!
  • Princ3ssj
    Princ3ssj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Theyre a great source of fiber, which keeps you fuller longer, I would suggest the easiest way to work them into your life is tacos or burritos especially if you dont eat meat. Beans are a hearty way 'replace' meat.
    You can find simply recipes online as well for black bean dip for tortilla chips to snack on.
    I sometimes put them in scrambled eggs for a southwest spin with peppers, onions, sour cream.

Good luck, keep us posted!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    This is currently cooking at home:

Skinny Chicken Enchilada Soup

1lb skinless, boneless chicken tenders
    14.5 oz. can canned peeled tomatoes, mashed
    10 oz. can enchilada sauce
    1 onion, chopped
    14.5 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
    3-4 C. water
    1 T cumin
    1 T chili powder
    10oz. frozen corn,
    1 can black beans, rinsed

Put all ingredients in the crock pot on low 6-8 hours.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    mix in soups, salads

you can mash them, and mix blended veggies in them, turn them into a patty, and boom veggie burgers! they freeze well like this. once in a while i will make a whole stack of them
  • graciemom828
    Options
    This sounds absolutely wonderful - can hardly wait to try it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just found out you can make brownies with them!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    www.allrecipes.com has a recipe, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, for mock apple pie using black beans. I have not tried it yet, but if I can get 'apple pie' out of black beans, count me in! Got good reviews.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I like to mix them with rice + corn +cheese+ lettuce and throw em in a burrito
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do a black bean chili similar to the first post. I also like them by themselves as a side...rolled in a tortilla, etc. One of my favorites is coconut brown basmatti rice and black beans...I usually have that with jerk chicken and wilted kale.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I just made sweet potato black bean enchiladas this weekend and they were FAB! It's from the "no meat athlete" website, don't have the recipe handy
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    heat them up with a little Adobo seasoning. Pour of rice of any kind. BAM! Dinner. Add picadillo if you want.

We used do this about once a week at my house (Cuban wife, black beans and rice are a staple). Cut out the rice for the time being.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can mix them in salads, mix them with quinoa, mix them with rice/southwestern style foods. You can make dips, vegetarian chili. They're wonderful!!:smile:

this^ they are awesome in salads and salsas with rice in a veggie wrap on a sandwhich veggie burito ect u can go on and on
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can mash them with cooked long grain brown rice and sweet potatoes, form into patties and grill them to make awesome clean burgers :)
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I mix them in with avacado and a little lime juice and put them on top of some chicken. HEAVEN in your mouth.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just found out you can make brownies with them!

WHAT? I'm intrigued.... you have a recipe?