15 days of faithful tracking, NO results.

Options
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice... My goal is to lose 40 pounds. I've been tracking faithfully for 15 days now at 1500 calories, with NO weight change. I've been staying pretty close to the recommended fat/protein/carb ratio. I have been doing arm weights (I am really out of shape!) I'm very limited in the cardio I can do because of three hip surgeries. I feel so frustrated! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Is 1500 calories a day what MFP recommended or what you decided on? Make sure you follow the MFP goals for you... and I think calories are more important than the other stuff. Some walking might be good for you.... or swimming.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi dottiejune,

I am struggling too and I just got some advice that I know will help me - weigh and measure your food for a while and be very precise about what you eat. I have done this in the past and it really helped a lot.
    Please read the quote I have for my picture! It has helped me stay steady on this journey to better health!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It does not happen fast, it actually happens slow. I get so frustrated with these facebook posts that say I lost 15 lbs and 8 inches from my waist in 10 days, message me for details. Well, its poop, literally.

We do this to make a life style change. If you slowly make healthier changes in your life they weight will eventually come off and stay off.

This is also the time when 70% of people who make new years resolutions to get healthy stop because they do not see results fast enough.

Hang in there, change your habits and keep being healthy. It will happen. I took you way longer to gain that 40 lbs, you need to give yourself time to lose it.

I also suggest putting away the scale for 3 weeks. It is a demotivator.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary public we could see what the problem might be.

We need a bit more info (height, weight) to really have an idea of what you might be doing wrong.

Other than that, are you sure 1500 for you is at a deficit? Are you weighing and measuring what you eat?

Get your diet right first, then worry about exercise.
  • SHININGSTAR1979
    SHININGSTAR1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't check the scale for at least one month. That's what I've decided to do this time and I feel so much healthier already not being a slave to the numbers on that thing. (but it's not my first ride on this rodeo)
    However, you should be a slave to the food scale. Weigh and measure everything, because although you may think something is a cup, it may really be 1.5 or even two. Our eyes do decieve us when measuring food, esp. when we're hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The number 1 weight loss pitfall is thinking you're at a deficit when you're really not. This can happen in a variety of ways; 1.) the data input to come to your deficit and calorie goal is flawed (i.e. activity level, sometimes people click maintain when they really want to lose, etc); 2.) eyeballing portions, measurements, and weights rather than actually measuring. This is very important and a big piece of the puzzle that I was missing when I first started out. I'd look at something and say...yeah, that's about 1/2 cup I think...when it was really 3/4 cup or even a cup. Yeah...that feels like about 1 oz...when in reality it was 1.5 oz...a big deal when you consider the calories in 1 oz of nuts among other things. 3.) Using arbitrary items in the database for estimating a meal or whatever (i.e. Homemade Chicken Soup...xxx calories, etc...well, that was someone else's homemade chicken soup and you have no idea what they put in it). If you cook a lot, you should build recipes in the recipe builder using those ingredients that are included. Items that you add from the data base should be specific in serving size.

While exercise is important for overall fitness, it is not necessary to lose weight. Simply eating at a caloric deficit will lose the weight...it's science and it's math. My guess is that one of the above things are happening and you are actually eating a maintenance level of calories.
  • dottiejune2213
    dottiejune2213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. My calories are MFP recommended, and I am measuring everything. I don't know how I could change my eating so drastically and NOT be at a deficit. I was eating fast food burgers and fries several times a week before... I do appreciate the comments and encouragement! I think putting the scale away may be a good idea for me. I get so frustrated when the same number keeps coming up. I will keep you all posted. I'm not quite ready to give up... :)
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can take a look.
  • jwill353
    Options
    I sure we all know how you feel, I know I do! Cardio is the fastest way to burn calories, and has always been the must successful for me. Due to your hip problem I would really encourage you to talk to your doctor about it swimming is a good option for you. It is a great way to get a good cardio workout without adding unneeded stress on your joints!
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    When are you weighing yourself? And are you being consistent with it (like same time of the day, same clothing) If you are not, this could make a difference. Weighing in the morning is a better indication then the afternoon, as by the afternoon you have eaten already. Also, try only weighing once a week if you are doing daily at the moment. And lastly, if you are weighing yourself in the morning, make sure you visit the toilet first, because this will make a difference (at least for me it does!)
  • Pmcmur
    Pmcmur Posts: 3
    Options
    How much water are you consuming?
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you have just started lifting then that may be causing your muscles to retain water. Equally where you are in your monthly cycle will also have an effect on water retention. Don't give up just yet - keep going for another couple of weeks, if there's still no change then maybe try dropping your calories a little.