I need a good hummus recipe!

Options
rissadiane
rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
I love hummus, but I can't stand store bought hummus. What is your favorite go to hummus recipe?

Replies

• kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babybeijing
    Options
    hommos is very easy to make

u just have to boil ur cheakpea (500g) (or u can buy them already boiled) then u mix it and u add Tahina (sesame cream: 3 spoons) + crushed garlic (minimum 2) + lemon juice (2 lemon) and salt and its done.
    u can decorate ur plate with some cutted radish, sweet paprika and some parsley
    u add some virgin olive oil and u can start eating
  • marmalitajones
    Options
    Spicey Jalepeno/cilantro Hummus

2 Tbl Sp Olive Oil
    1 1/2 Tbl Sp Tahini Paste
    1/3 cup sliced jalepeno's and juice reserved (from can - nacho slice work well)
    1/2 tsp cummin
    1 tsp crushed garlic
    dash of salt
    handfull cilantro chopped
    1 16oz can garbanzo beans - I use Goya brand, drained. I do reserve some of the juice in case the hummus is too thick
    1 Lemon juiced

Blend all together until smooth. Add Jalepeno juice to increase spicey flavor. Fantastic with baked pita chips or just with raw vegetables.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Both of those sounds great! My favorite restaurant does a hummus with sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, and a few other things - so delicious!
  • goodhuh
    goodhuh Posts: 20
    Options
    blend 2 cans garbonzo beans 6 tbs tahinni paste,add spices you like , cumin, caynne pepper, tumeric, garlic
    until smooth pretty much it, add a splash of extra virgin olive oil on top

sometimes I like it chuncky, so I dont blend so much

I bought the garbonzo beans raw, (havent made it this way yet) must soak them overnight, rinse, boil them, then, put in fry pan and fry them, then blend.

wonderful stuff, use it as your dip for all your veggies
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you use canned chick peas/garbanzo beans make sure you drain and rinse them first (well, at least drain) other wise you will end up with runny hummus.

All you have to have to make hummus is the chick peas but I have never seen a recipe that doesn't call for the Tahini paste. It is a little expensive but a little goes a long way and I can tell the difference between when I use it and when I don't (i.e. when I am out)

I usually use 1 can of chick peas, 2-3 Tbsp Tahini and about 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil to start out then add whatever I feel like that day as far as herbs/spices go the sky really is the limit.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    All you have to have to make hummus is the chick peas but I have never seen a recipe that doesn't call for the Tahini paste. It is a little expensive but a little goes a long way and I can tell the difference between when I use it and when I don't (i.e. when I am out)

You can google hummus without Tahini ... I did and found a couple recipies.

I also googled Black Bean hummus and found some good ones to try! :bigsmile:
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make a hummus without the tahini -

2 cans low sodium chickpeas
    1 lemon, juice and zest
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    a couple of tablespoons flat leaf parsley

Just blend everything in a food processor.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    hommos is very easy to make

u just have to boil ur cheakpea (500g) (or u can buy them already boiled) then u mix it and u add Tahina (sesame cream: 3 spoons) + crushed garlic (minimum 2) + lemon juice (2 lemon) and salt and its done.
    u can decorate ur plate with some cutted radish, sweet paprika and some parsley
    u add some virgin olive oil and u can start eating

Mine is very similar but I add a little cumin and cayenne to kick up the flavor. No oils is necessary.
  • LotusInTheSky
    LotusInTheSky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do hommus without the tahini - and with some light yogurt instead (less fat- and still delicious).
    - A can of chickpeas - drained and rinsed (can also do the same with butter beans - its more runny but delicious as well)
    -2 tbs of olive oil
    -Juice of 1 lemon (or to taste)
    -1 tbs of light greek yogurt (more if needed depending on the texture)
    -1 clove of garlic
    -paprika
    -salt
    -cumin
    -herbs to taste - (coriander, spring onion, parsley)...

blend it. And eat. DELICIOUS.