Suggestions on snacking food?

Options
Hi everybody!

I'm starting tomorrow on tracking my calories. Just curious on what I could snack on throughout the day, that's low in calories as I eat like a horse. As a women who's 456.4 lbs, I want to loose a good amount of weight and at a reasonable pace. I honestly just need suggestions on what to snack on, as I tend to much on crisp (potato chips) and chocolate. I'm going to cut out the chocolate BUT I crave for something that's crunchy.

Thanks to people who reply and much love!

Sarah

Replies

• Lugi2
    Lugi2 Posts: 15
    Options
    air popped popcorn <3
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    nuts! I love snacking on almonds, although they're not too low in cals.

Broccoli with hummus

string cheese

a salad is my afternoon snack
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sarah!

I too have a problem (ahem, addiction! boo!) to all things crunch, salty, etc. I love chips! I have them still with a sandwich sometimes at lucnh, but I'll pack a small handful in a baggie and that will be it. Or I'll buy baked chips in individual bags and allow myself one a day for a treat.

Sometimes at night if I want something to snack on I'll pop air-popped popcorn. (I got a machine for Christmas.) If I'm feeling too lazy though, here they sell individual 100 calorie mini snack bags of popcorn which are yummy and easy.

Best of luck!
  • jenniferryanne
    jenniferryanne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find munching on rice cakes gives you that crunch you are looking for and they are faily low in calories. The only issue is they aren't very filling. If you have the extra calories maybe add some all natural peanut butter. Also, raw veggies can give you that crunch as well!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Skip snacks and eat larger meals. My opinion on the matter.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    @ MAG
    I was afraid you were going to tell her to Grab a Pumpkin Pie Pop Tart :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    @ MAG
    I was afraid you were going to tell her to Grab a Pumpkin Pie Pop Tart :laugh:

OR, grab a Pumpkin Pie Pop Tart, they're absolutely awesome
  • makenasmama
    makenasmama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    baby bell light, trail mix, celery with peanut butter, pop corn (a lot for little calories) Good luck!:heart::tongue:
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    celery/baby carrots aaaaaannnd:
    hummus
    tzatziki
    better n' peanut butter (http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php)

and always, always ALWAYS drink a glass or 2 of water and chew some gum before deciding if you're truly hungry! :-)
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    for chocolate, I am getting my fix with "diet version" hot chocolate mix...25 calories each!! for the crunchies some big dry cereal (Honeycombs, cookie crisp, etc...)
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Pop Secret 100 calorie Butter Popcorn. I love it and dont feel guilty for eating it. Also, carrots are yummy and crunchy with a tiny bit of light ranch. I love apples too. I eat one every day. Also, try wheat crackers. Wheatables lets you have 17 for 140 calories. :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I like almonds, I dehydrate fruit and eat that, fiber one bars, tomatoe and fresh motzerella on a basil leaf with some balsamic vinagarette on it, hard boiled egg, strawberries and bananna cut up with fresh honey sprinkled on them, I wouldnt skip snacks. In the morning I have a mean green, a hard boiled egg, a coffee, then i have some almonds a couple hours later for a snack, then i have lunch, then i have another snack, and then a couple hours i have a healthy and light dinner. It is good to snack throughout the day. Good luck with this all! You can do it!!!
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Special K crack chips are decent for the crunch of a chip. Almonds are also a good snack. try Dark chocolate when you must have chocolate.
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I second the rice cake suggestion....the caramel corn or cheese are great. One of my go-to's is a small banana that i spread a tsp of pnut butter on, a drizzle of honey and pinch of salt because it hits both sweet and salty at the same time. Good luck!
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love carrots with hummus... or just carrots in general for a good crunch.
    Like other have said popcorn...
    I also do cereal (I don't really like cereal with milk so that works out well for me) I try to stick to Cheerios or other cereals that aren't too bad.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    also, consider not abandoning chocolate completely... you'll be more likely to crave & binge on it!
    sugar free hot chocolate or 10 chocolate chips are great craving satisfiers. just take your time and enjoy it!
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Skip snacks and eat larger meals. My opinion on the matter.

or maybe even 6+ small meals a day. Grazing throughout the day can devestate your calorie intake for the day. Maybe you can plan several small meals (high protein too keep you full, low fat/low carb), eating every 2-3 hours, tons of water in between each to help if you get hungry in between. Think of each time you eat as a nutritionally dense meal instead of a snack. When I'm on track with this, I'm literally full all day and don't even think about snacks (except for my chocolate/sweet cravings). I have always been a big time snacker (anything crunch, salty, etc), feeling like I needed to eat something every hour of the day, so I know the feeling!

Suggestions:
    Plain greek yogurt with a sugar free type sweetener; pieces of tilapia, chicken breats, bacon (as if you were eating beef jerkey), sugar free jello/pudding with rice cakes, a couple saltines with PB2 peanut butter, etc...

Dont give up on chocolate! I love it! i mad some peanut butter chocolate protein balls the other day...75 calories in 1 ball, and it will satisfy you! I have a recipe if anyone wants it!
  • 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    I really love strawberries and peanut butter together! Right now, I'm nomming on some blueberries.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds help me a lot. It takes a long time to get them down!!
  • LindseyLinea
    LindseyLinea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K bars. They are only 90 calories and you can have chocolate. My favorite is the chocolately pretezel.