Dr Pepper Anonymous

Options
Been here for a week now ~ i haven't done great at tracking yet, need to work on that.
I can easily drink 12 glasses of water a day, and sometimes as many as 15. Most of those are drank in the morning and early afternoon, and then I just NEED a dr pepper, and then its all over. Drink soda the rest of the day. It's an addiction if I ever seen one. I need Dr. Pepper Anonymous meetings!
Anyway, I'm Daisy, live in Oklahoma. SAHM of two great kids when they don't make me pull my hair out. I was here on MFP once before and lost 35 pounds, got married and gained it back, but not more than I lost, so that's good I guess.... Trying to get my motivation pumping as of last Monday.... I have the want, just not the action yet.
Need to lose about 60 pounds... 212 now, at 5'5" I think 145 is a good goal.
If you find any of that interesting or relateable, feel free to shoot me a request and let's walk into a healthier future.

Replies

• pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's me, too! I'm a Dr. Pepper fan. I haven't had one since New Year's day when I had one at a party. I haven't sworn off it completely but I am trying to avoid it as much as possible. Even when I was drinking it regularly, I'd have no more than 2 cans per day. My mom limited my sister and I to that much while I was growing up and I agree there's no need to drink more than that.

Dr. Pepper needs to develop a sparkling water version of their drink that is healthier than the soft drink. Or maybe a Dr. Pepper breath spray for when you're in the mood for one and don't want all the calories. lol
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We totally need a Dr Pepper Anonymous group... I used to drink... gosh... maybe 10 cans a day?? ?Seriously... wow... Now... I drink water all stinking day... EXCEPT... at lunch, I get one can of DIET Dr. Pepper, and when I get home from work, I have a diet coke... and on my cheat day (Saturdays) I have a REAL Dr. Pepper. But... the NEED for it has lessoned considerably... I had one 20 oz in the fridge for over a week before I drank it... so that's a big deal.

You can do it! Have you Googled how bad carbonation is for your bones??? I had no idea.
  • RYFBAR
    RYFBAR Posts: 45
    Options
    That's a great idea, might have to make a group and see if we can get sponsors and everything. I really do think it is worse (addition wise) than other sodas. My husband loves Coke, but will drink just about anything they got at the restraunt or store. If they don't have Dr Pepper, then I don't want any soda ya know. Weird.
    I just got full upper dentures at 36... Dentist said alot of the problem is the years I've spent drinking DP through a straw, and the tongue ring I had for 6 years. He said his kids have done science projects with healthy teeth soaked in different types of soda, coffee, tap water, and filtered water with crazy results.
    Yet, here I am still craving a DP right now. You both deserve Big congrats on your levels of self-control!
    I think once I am off my cycle, I'll brave the migraines that come with withdrawals. Don't think I could handle both causes at once lol~
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I struggled and Struggled with Dr. Pepper and reading this makes me WANT ONE! But, I will not. (luckily there is none handy)
    Wow on the teeth and what the dentist said. Thats an extra deterent! It did take me knowing I "should" stop it to slowing down and stopping off and on and back again. Its been a bit since I had one. I'm past the major part of the cravings, until someone mentiones it! LOL

I"m a Pepper, you're a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper tooooo
  • tamaralaine1970
    Options
    OH WOW I thought I was alone in my only true addiction. I can forgo any soda but Dr.Pepper, I can do a 2l all by myself. I have not had any at all for almost one week, well expect the sip I stole from my husband. :devil: I know bad me :ohwell: I was trying to limit myself too maybe one a week but my husband keeps drinking soda by the 2L so this was harder too do, and now I just pretend that the bottle is actually Pepsi or coke or some generic version, and as I only drink DP and no other soda this usually helps me to avoid it all together.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    10 2 and 4!

seriously, switch up to diet dp. it is the best of all diet sodas as far as taste goes.

(and kudos for leaving out the period after Dr in the thread topic!)
  • asigaim
    asigaim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also a Dr Pepper fan!! If I drink one, I just want more!! I had to cut back on all cokes (I'm from the south, everything is a coke :happy: ) due to various issues, but I still allow myself one every now and then. The key for me was not to buy any to have at home... If it's not available, I can't have it. Period. I won't leave my house just to go buy a Dr Pepper.

Try not keeping any at the house, and weening yourself off them. Sooner or later, you'll be able to stop at one, or not even drink the whole thing - but you'll still get your fix. You could also buy the smaller cans (I think they're 8 ounces or so) and limit yourself to one.

Best of luck!!!
  • RYFBAR
    RYFBAR Posts: 45
    Options
    yep, a cup of DP is like pringles, once you pop ya just cant stop. And yea, my kids ate a whole can of pringles yesterday lol
    Today is my day, cycle has past, my latest 2 liter is empty, and i feel motivated to drop it. You guys have some great ideas to help out, and I really appreciate it! thank you all for sharing :flowerforyou:
    There was a time that I was just not able to get a Dr Pepper for about 10 months...wont go into why. But when able, I bought a liter bottle and it tasted like Crap! Of course, by the end of the first bottle it was yummy again and I wanted more. Goes to show that addiction. I am going to try to think about those first couple drinks today when I get a craving.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was a major Dr Pepper addict and could easily drink 4 or 5 cans in a day. I have been without any soda since last January.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Now I really want a DP.
  • IESHA12
    IESHA12 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I LOVVVEEE DR PEPPER BUT I DONT DRINK IT ALL THE TIME THATS GOOD I GUESS...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Now I really want a DP.

I bet you do....
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    10 2 and 4!

seriously, switch up to diet dp. it is the best of all diet sodas as far as taste goes.

(and kudos for leaving out the period after Dr in the thread topic!)

Agreed re diet Dr Pepper. It is the least diet soda tasting of all diet sodas.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I LOVED my Dr Peppers and drank several every day. I stopped drinking soda entirely a year ago. I don't even miss them anymore. Try it out! Once you get passed the cravings you will feel so much better! If I take a drink of my kids soda (they are only allowed to have them if the restaurant serves it with their meal) I want to gag and my face feels greasy.

If you switch to diet and it works, good for you! I tried switching to diet and it made me crave more sweets, and I've heard several others on here say the same thing.

Good luck!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Have already had 3 cans of Diet Dr Pepper this morning (had to wake up somehow!...and hate coffee).....

I haven't seen anyone yet mention the recipes out there on the interwebs - that use Dr Pepper with beef, and all sorts of other recipes. Has anyone tried these..?! They sound SO good.
  • trishgrace
    Options
    I am a diet dr pepper addict. I try to only drink 1 a day, but some days its impossible to stick to.
  • davessweets
    Options
    I was addicted to Dr.Pepper. I used to drink at least 4 1 liter bottles of it a day. I was drinking over my daily calorie limit a day and not even thinking about it. Now a year and a half later I have swapped to Diet Pepsi and only drink a 1 liter in about 24 hours..sometimes a little more then that. It wasn't easy but i cannot drink it anymore without it making me sick. It is not easy but worth it
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    diet dr pepper is my fave and i'm an addict! I switched to diet dew recently and I think i'm switching back! The diet is awesome and tastes like reg to me so give it a try the one with Splenda is best.......
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Dr Pepper 10 is really good.:drinker:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Now I really want a DP.

lol