1 Week Down, a lifetime to go... and loving it!

Options
Hi All,
So am new to this whole thing but i have had a successful first week... down 2.6 pounds! I have been creeping around the forums and everyone seems so nice and supportive.

My question is....

What is the one tip you would give someone starting out?

Replies

• Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump... tips anyone?
  • Lindylooj
    Lindylooj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only started on here 5 days ago and my tip is to make sure you log in daily, otherwise all those good intentions can slip.
  • momslastdiet
    momslastdiet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My best tip also is to log in each time you eat if possible, or keep a list until you can do so.
    Also, remember each day is a new day to conquer. If you slip up, just try to get back on track asap :)
  • julitrowbridge
    Options
    I'm also new, started a week ago...yes, log in daily, track everything and give it your all because you are worth it!
  • vonna_d
    Options
    Make exercise mandatory , like going to work :)
  • JessicaLynn82
    Options
    Login every single day, it becomes your accountability partner, I have even started pre-entering my food before the day while I am packing my snacks and lunch for work. If I don't log it right away I start feeling guilty and then I have to. Its amazing, congrats on your weight loss thus far! I am in about 40 days now, and will always stick to it. After the first week it becomes just a habit.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1. Be honest! Don't underestimate what you eat and don't overestimate what you burn...
    2. Log everything. If you measure it you can make measureable changes.
    3. Keep logging everyday.
    4. Enjoy the weight loss! You will lose it!
    Anyone is welcome to add me... Been at this just over six months and have lost 122 pounds.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Don't let one bad day ruin it all! Just get back on track the next day!

I think having friends on here to help motivate you and keep you accountable is very helpful as well!

Last, have something to work towards! I like to sign up for races (5K, 10K's etc), and then you know you have to get into shape before race day!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Today's top tip,get a good food scale,you would be surprised what you think a serving is by looking at it and what it actually is by weight
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips!
    I have been logging everything, and surprisingly what I normally eat falls into the recommended range! (minus a few snacks here and there)
    My big challenge is getting more active, but i have done 5 workouts in the past 8 days! They are nothing to crazy, but i have been adding new little things every time!

I feel like i can really do it this time around!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you can do it, one pound at a time.
  • stopbeingFatPiggy
    Options
    GREAT response!!!
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight overnight or a month so it isn't going to fall off in a night!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Hard to narrow it down to one!
    1 - water, water and more water. Drink as much as you can
    2 - eating what you like but smaller portions, it is ok to sill have the "bad food" but in moderation and not nearly as often as before
    3 - Get moving, even small walks make a big difference
    4 - Log everything you eat and drink and be honest, the only one you hurt if you don't is you!
    Good luck.
  • vsbkitchens
    Options
    Hi there - this is my first week down too! I've lost 5 pounds and I am focused to stay on track this time. I would agree that you do need to make daily posts, keep track of everything you eat, and have a plan. I've done WW and a lot of other diets before and they all work - if you stick to the plan. Good luck!
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Welcome and my tip would be as stated repeatedly ... LOG IN... keep up with friends. Celebrate victories with others as they will celebrate yours. Here we go!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    Agree with other posters!
    1. Log in every day
    2. Don't give up if you stumble... because, you're going to stumble!
    3. Exercise too!!
  • stopbeingFatPiggy
    Options
    1. Be honest! Don't underestimate what you eat and don't overestimate what you burn...
    2. Log everything. If you measure it you can make measureable changes.
    3. Keep logging everyday.
    4. Enjoy the weight loss! You will lose it!
    Anyone is welcome to add me... Been at this just over six months and have lost 122 pounds.

woooooooo 122 THATS SO AWESOME!!!! GREAT GREAT JOB!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just that its not a race. Take your time and it will be permanent. :)
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My tip is know that this is a journey you will be on for the rest of your life. You will have good days and bad days. You will only be a failure if you quit or decide to stop. The scale will never be your friend, frequently it will lie to you. Find other ways to measure your successes (clothes fit better, you can climb stairs and not be short of breath, etc). Forgive yourself if you make a bad or wrong choice, move on and make a better one next time. You have made a great choice already by joining MFP.