adding friends?? Please put me in "the know..."

Options
llpaq
llpaq Posts: 263 Member
Why do I go to a lot of profiles and people have written "if you don't leave a message- don't ask to be my friend?" "if you don't tell me where you know me from- move along"........ I honestly am either looking at the profile pics and they are awesome or loving a comment someone put- isn't that what most of us are doing? Am I wrong for that? Do you think I should investigate more and why? I just want to know if I should be more aware of whats going on and why it's so important to screen people because I'm just adding any ol body who asks :indifferent: .... I'm still a little new so I'm not saying it's wrong I'm just wondering what is the deal with that. I don't see how a comment of " I like your pic" is going to screen much of anything out. If I get a creeper or a salesperson I'll delete him/her but for the most part I think we're all here for the same reasons, I think some of them comments may hinder someone from trying to be your "pal" and you may be a great help for that person.- Plus we all can deny requests right? TOTALLY JUST CURIOUS...... Let me know your reasonings if you have this please- just so I can KNOW :smile: I just seen an AWESOME PIC and went to the page to add them and it said "get to stepping if you don't write a message......don't think about adding me." Jeesh! :huh:

Replies

• losing101in2013
    Options
    Just rude people I think.....add me if you like.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people just gather friends with no real intentions on communicating, becoming friends with or motivating anyone, just wants 1000 friends on their list. Also, Trolls are everywhere on here, so I think those people who want a message to go with a friend request, have been a victim here so they are just trying to avoid it. Also some people are very serious and only want certain weight loss/fitness program friends.
    I will give anyone a chance, as long as they can handle my sense of humor and such then I am cool with it. :D
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you accept everyone your friend's list can get too big and difficult to manage after a while, so you end up going back and deleting people that aren't active.

People that try to add you without a message are the people that tend to be less active. It's easier to cut out the middle man and reject the request.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you accept everyone your friend's list can get too big and difficult to manage after a while, so you end up going back and deleting people that aren't active.

This too.
  • cjordan7496
    Options
    I don't know either...interested to know...
  • losing101in2013
    Options
    Makes sense. ^^ Fire_Rock
  • llpaq
    Options
    Gotcha!!! :smile: Now it makes a little sense but I still think people who are REALLY fit and serious should add newbies who aren't because I want to be like them one day!!! :happy: Seriously though- that's my goal.
    Anywhoot- I have just been seeing it all over and the too many friends to keep up with makes sense- I just :heart: all my friends now and the ones who haven't logged in often may need an extra boost from friends like me :flowerforyou:
    Thanks though- I'm glad none of you took it wrong- I'm just tryin to get the hang of things :smile:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I have 47 friends. I have trouble keeping up with all of them and don't have a lot of time in the day between work, school and parenthood. There is nothing I could meaningfully contribute to a new friend without some measure of detriment to my existing friends.
  • EddieG43
    Options
    Request sent!! I love to motivate people and on here quite a lot. Feel free to add me....I love to get and give support. We are all here for a reason. Best of luck to you all in your journey!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, you can write whatever you want on your page. I have mine locked down anyway....been here too long, seen too much. I don't even read peoples' profile pages anymore unless they are sending a friend request.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'll usually send a little note like "Hi, I read where you said XXXXXX and it was funny/made sense/inspiring! Let's be friends!" Its not a huge deal to start a conversation with someone you'd like to get to know...
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    because I don't want to be friends with people that are super sensitive and go around being offended by every little thing they disagree with. So if someone tells me that they appreciate my fondness of Hookers and Blow I know there is a pretty good chance we will get along. Also, there are creepy people on here...hard to believe I know....but it is true. If I get a message saying "I want to lick your elbow", then again, I know that they aren't for me.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Personally I "politely request a brief message saying how you came across my profile as I like to know how you found me and who I'm becoming friends with!"... for exactly that reason lol. I add most people that send me a request but will delete those who haven't been active in 2/3months.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just like to know a little about people. Even if you think a comment I made was "good" for whatever reason, tell me what you read and maybe where you saw it. If you like my pic, maybe let me know why you like it. Blindly adding people for me is like walking up to some random and chatting about your grandmother in the produce section of the grocery store; at least start it off with "MMm, I love orange peppers too! "
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    If you don't write a message then I probably will accept you anyway, but I might not, just keep that in mind :)
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    because I don't want to be friends with people that are super sensitive and go around being offended by every little thing they disagree with. So if someone tells me that they appreciate my fondness of Hookers and Blow I know there is a pretty good chance we will get along. Also, there are creepy people on here...hard to believe I know....but it is true. If I get a message saying "I want to lick your elbow", then again, I know that they aren't for me.

^^^ love you ^^^ Sorry about the licking your elbows request. It won't happen again
  • llpaq
    Options

LOL!:laugh: Well I'm not sure that my opening statement would be that I like hookers' or 'I want to lick your elbow" LOL! But I get it now - totally! :wink:
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

^^^ love you ^^^ Sorry about the licking your elbows request. It won't happen again

you were my friend before I had my high standards...and I like when YOU lick my elbow.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I am a picky person when it comes to my friends. I like knowing where you found me and WHY you think we would make good friends. I like to connect with the people I am adding, and by adding a little message (the funnier the fast I will add people) I can make an informed decision on who I am adding.

Just my personal preference, has nothing to do with being rude ...
  • llpaq
    Options
    Am I the only one who just see's a HOT picture and wants to add someone because of that?? (please don't tell me I AM the creeper! :embarassed: lol) I think pictures speak volumes, especially for this site... We're all trying to getting fit and live healthy or help people for that reason. At the same time Im no dumby I know there are weirdos everywhere but if there are I don't think that will be their opening statement to me- so whats the point.....if someone said "I like your pic- you're hot" in 4 months when I am :wink: :wink: :wink: I would add them. If they asked to lick my elbow I would delete them.
    But I honestly I get it now and understand! Thanks everyone :flowerforyou: