Protein Powder

Options
Well there's so many to choose from. For starters I just want to give out that I'm on a ketogenic diet *newbie* (Goal: fat loss) and I need to get my protein in with very little sugar and carbs and preferably sodium as possible. Also I need something that has potassium in it. So far what I've looked up, I've ended up running into crap that has artificial sweeteners in it. :/ I really don't want to be cheap. I mean if I have to pay good deal to get the real deal then so be it.

So is there anyone out there that can help me out to anything excellent and actually knows their stuff when it comes to this. Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Take a look at optimum nutrition - pro complex. Its a blend of fast, med, slow release protein. Optimum has a natural option which if I remember correctly does not include artificial sweeteners.
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    bump:indifferent:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I was still "feeling my way" around protein powders, the guy at the health food shoppe said that he only gets Vanilla because you can make it taste like anything you want to. I guess that's true.

I put the peanut butter in my granola instead of the powdered peanut butter. And I keep both chocolate and vanilla at home, to make shakes with. The vanilla is blended with OJ and a vanilla yougrt for a creamsicle (or with cinnamon for a gingerbread shake) and the chocolate is blended with a coffee yogurt and OJ for a shake.

If you really like protein powder, people make cookies and pancakes and all kinds of things with it. I don't really like the taste so I don't.

I have tried the soy PP from Whole Foods but I prefer either the dairy whey or lately the spirulina.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Take a look at optimum nutrition - pro complex. Its a blend of fast, med, slow release protein. Optimum has a natural option which if I remember correctly does not include artificial sweeteners.
    Agreed. Can't go wrong with optimum nutrition stuff. Gold standard whey, pro complex, gold standard casein...
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    Sounds good. :drinker:
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of EAS Whey by Abbott. It is reasonable and taste really good. I mix mine with Almond milk.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like Gold Standard, Dymatize Elite, and Dymatize Elite Gourmet.
  • Live_To_Kayak
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition casein for hunger control if I can't eat a regular meal. I like Optimum Nutrition Whey for working out. ON has very few carbs or fat, something you have to watch for when buying protein.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition casein for hunger control if I can't eat a regular meal. I like Optimum Nutrition Whey for working out. ON has very few carbs or fat, something you have to watch for when buying protein.

It's not ON... it's the specific product. ON has several products that have a lot of carbs in them, just not the ones you use. A protein powder should be just that... protein, with little of anything else regardless of brand. Meal replacements, gainers, etc will often be loaded with protein as well as carbs and/or fat.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Dymatize Elite whey right now. Low carb, and they do avoid the artificial sweeteners. Check out their line and read the ingredients. There are more and more powders out there for people with specials needs/desires.
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    bump:glasses: