Kite Flying

Options
Does anyone know how many calories would be burned during an hour and 15 minutes of kite flying in 24-30 mph winds?

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    this may sound like a stupid question but isn't that mostly done standing still?? just a thought.
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    You can get quite a workout flying kites. Here we regularly have sustained winds of 20mph or more. We have a triple-stacked kite with 20-foot tails called a "trilby". It takes a lot of work to fly it as it swoops, spins, and dives. Plus all the running back and forth to help launch it when it dives too far and hits the ground. Whether you're the flyer or the launcher, you get your heartrate up and keep it up, usually for the duration.
  • Whyndancer
    Options
    I didn't wind up doing so much running around with the launching, though I was flying alone so when they did fall (and i have this one little kite that likes to take nosedives) i had t go run get them. And when I was flying my sled kite, i had to constantly reposition myself as the wind changed. Honestly, I''d say though that the biggest workout was trying to reel the sled back in. The line that went out and up with the kite in a couple minutes took over 20 minutes to reel back in. Of course, this is in part to some interference with trees and the negotiations that followed while kite was still air born. Still, I'm tempted to put this under strength training, as my arms will be sore tomorrow from reeling in against the wind.
  • haleysman
    haleysman Posts: 48
    Options
    i wish i would have read this post b4 i went out today...lol...i would have worn my hrm. i too thought kite flying(at least from what i remember as a kid) was done mostly standing still, but after being the dad now for my 6 yr old i found out there is actually very much running around. especially today, it wasn't as windy as i thought and basically ended up doing 40 yd wind sprints for about 30 mins straight. next time i'm definately going to wear the hrm and count it as a workout session...