What can I do with black beans?

Options

Replies

• kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make black bean taco salad. I use lower salt baked corn chips as the base. I heat some black beans with a tablespoon or two of salsa, some spices (garlic, coriander and cumin) and then layer chips, beans, reduced fat cheese, lettuce tomatoes and a few onions and voila! a quick and filling dinner.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Make vegetarian chili!

Delicious Vegetarian Chili
    Exploring new options in the realm of vegetarian friendly cooking!

If I have logged this recipe correctly under my recipes it comes in at about 273 calories (without using the optional ingredients) per sering and yields 6 portions.

INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups vegetable broth
    1 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 tbsp chili powder
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    1 medium white onion, chopped
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 (4oz) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
    2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    3 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed & drained
    1 red bell pepper
    OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups shredded cheddar
    ¼ cup fresh cilantro
    top with sour cream
    PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients (except the cheese & cilantro) in your 3-4 quart slow cooker
    Cover & cook on low for 8 hours
    Stir in cilantro (if you decide to use it) just before serving
    Top with cheese (or save a few calories & don’t)

this sounds delicious!!!
  • limabean00
    limabean00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to put a can of black beans in the crock pot with diced tomatoes, onions, red & yellow peppers, and some mexican cheese. If you have no time to chop the veggies, you can buy a can of diced tomatoes, and the onions & peppers already chopped & frozen. Super easy and super healthy.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    use them as part of a burrito bowl similar to chipotle, toss in guac, sour cream, brown rice, salsa, corn....and you're good to go \m/
  • Sizez10
    Options
    Put them in the blender and add onions and olive oil purée for a minute or two heat and eat as a soup with celery sticks. ( warning may cause bloating from gas)
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've tried this vegan black bean soup recipe before, and it's pretty good (and I eat meat) :)

1 TBSP olive oil
    1 large onion
    1 stalk celery
    2 chopped carrots
    4 cloves minced garlic (2 tsp)
    2 TBSP chili powder
    1 TBSP ground cumin
    1 pinch black pepper
    4 cups vegetable broth
    4 cans black beans
    1 can whole corn (though I usually go with 1.5 cup frozen corn, less sodium)
    1 can crushed or diced tomatoes

Heat oil in saucepan and saute onion, celery, carrots and garlic for about 5 minutes. Season with chili powder, cumin, and black pepper, cook for 1 minute. Stir in veggie broth, beans, tomatoes and corn. Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.

You can also use a food processor to blend 2 of the cans of black beans and tomatoes together if you want a "creamier" soup. But I haven't replaced my food processor that broke, so usually just dump in all in the crock pot together after the saute step.

This recipe makes about 6 servings at around 150 cal per serving. I usually store it in my fridge and eat it for lunch a few times per week with a side salad.
  • owski17
    owski17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love this chicken recipe

1 can black beans-drained and rinsed
    1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilis
    1 bag sweet corn
    1/2 cup salsa
    1 lb chicken
    1/2 block cream cheese( not added until end)

Throw it all in the slow cooker. When chicken is done shred it and add 1/2 block of cream cheese let cook another 15/20 min stir together and there you go!! you can eat it on a tortilla or over brown rice or just by itself!
  • owski17
    owski17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lol so sorry didnt notice the (dont eat meat) part!!! lol but it would be good without chicken, over rice :)
  • kaitybugg33
    kaitybugg33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mix black beans with corn, purple onions, cilantro and lime juice. You can eat it with tortilla chips or I just eat it as a salad. It's good with mango added in too.
  • EchelonTC
    Options
    weight watchers has a recipe to use them in brownies! SUPER YUMMY shocking but great taste i don't remember the recipe exactly but google it from weight watchers!
  • selandia
    Options
    bump
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Soups and chilis, definitely. I add into macaroni and cheese with ro-tel tomatoes and chilis to dress up an easy staple. Just had them today in an omelet with feta cheese and topped with salsa verde. So versatile!
  • dayquil
    Options
    I haven't done this in a while and don't know the nutrition profile, but black bean burgers are epic. There are a lot of recipes online; I do the following:

Drain 1 can of black beans; mash.
    Mix in 1 cup of panko bread crumbs (Japanese style)
    I would typically also chop some onion and add sauteed mushrooms or any other vegetable I needed to use up
    (ex: carrot or spinach pulp from my juicer)
    Season to taste (I like chipotle hot sauce and a bit of barbeque sauce). Literally taste it at this point.
    Add 1 beaten egg (helps to hold it together)
    Make patties and fry

I'm typing this from memory, but I don't think I've missed anything.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Black beans + lean ground turkey + corn + taco seasoning
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    From allrecipes.com, Quinoa and Black Beans:

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1.Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2.Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    3.Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Makes 10 servings, 148 calories per serving, good for meatless meals - 7 grams protein per serving.
    I usually add a bit more cayenne pepper because I like spicy foods, and I serve it on a corn tortilla with low fat sour cream. Great on its own too, though. Very yummy!
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    U can make Mississippi Cavier
    Dont have exact measurements, so add as much as u like

Black bean rinsed and drained
    Can of corn rinsed and drained
    Chopped red onions.
    Chopped roma tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Salt
    Juice from a lime
    Light Italian dressing
    Diced jalepenos
    Pinch of crushed red peppers

Mix and enjoy w tortilla chips
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Poached Huevos Rancheros! My favourite. :)

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=56
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump...great recipes I want to try.
  • shawnerseliz
    shawnerseliz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    not my recipe, but delicious!
    ngredients

1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
    3 large eggs
    1/3 cup melted Promise tub spread
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
    How to make it

Preheat oven to 350F
    spray cooking spray on an 8-inch baking pan. Place black beans, eggs, melted Promise spread, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sugar in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30-35 minutes or until just set in the center. COOL before cutting into squares.