HELP!!! 3 Weeks and I haven't lost more than 2 pounds

Options
Hi, can anyone help me please. I just started 19 days ago following my 1200 cal per day plus exercise and I've only lost 2 pounds. Can someone please help me understand why and what else I should do??

Replies

• gg3gg3
    gg3gg3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ok how much do you weigh and how does your workout look? have you tried doing your workout the last thing you do before going to bed? naturally dont eat anything after.
  • bellie
    bellie Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'4" and normally, I weigh 105lbs. Right now I'm at 115-117lbs. More often than not, my work out is during the evening after work and yes I don't eat anything. Any idea what's going on??
  • patwil73
    patwil73 Posts: 28
    Options
    Most likely it is because you are at a very healthy weight for your height. According to your BMI 105 is just slightly under your healthy goal which is why your probably having such a difficult time losing the weight. Essentially since you don't have that much to lose it takes longer than someone like me who is way over his healthy weight.

You might try more strength conditioning if you are primarily doing cardio - might not lose more weight but will make you more toned looking which often will look even better.

Also since your BMR is 1266 you might not be eating enough with only 1200 calories to support your exercise. Depending on how many calories you are burning you might try bumping that up to 1450 or so - especially adding protein. If you make your diary public others can look at it and see if something in your diet is holding you back also.

Hope this all helps
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Your current weight is perfect for your height. That is my goal weight and I am only 5'2" so you are already technically smaller than my ultimate goal!
    If you are working out hard and gaining muscle then you may NEVER achieve 105, because muscle weighs more than fat, and 105 would mean you have to get weaker and lose muscle...

Use the BMI tool and make sure you stay in the Healthy Range, you are in danger of falling into the "underweight" category.

I say you should UP your calories a bit to compensate for your workouts. Your body needs FUEL to exercise and it may be hanging on to every last calorie because it knows it not getting ENOUGH!

Try setting your goals to 1/2 pound a week and see how many calories it tells you to eat a day, you can always change it back without affecting anything. But while you work out hard, you will probably just tighten up more and the scale will stay the same, which is PERFECT for your height and weight.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    That's how it goes when you're close to your goal. When I couldn't lose the last 5 pounds, I adjusted my goal to lose 1/2 a pound a week and it gave me more calories. I actually did lose at a rate of 1 pound a week and got the last 5 pounds off.
  • bellie
    bellie Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

Thank you so much for your insights! :) Am a newbie at this so all your comments make me feel at ease!

Wishing you all the best! :)
  • Pieater
    Pieater Posts: 40
    Options
    It looks to me like the above comments are right on track. I also want to add that your weight may plateau sometimes. For example, I lost 17lb during my first month, then I was stuck at the same weight for 41 days before I began losing again. I could see and measure differences in my shape during that time, but the scale didn't show the changes. Don't get discouraged by a period of slow progress, especially as you approach your goal weight.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with Robin. Also, since you say you want to be 105 and are about 117, you don't have much to lose so the process will be slower.

Do make sure to at least eat some protein to help build your muscles up AFTER you work out - THEN don't eat anything else. I work out at night, then have my dinner of usually baked chicken or tilapia and a veggie, then go to bed a few hours later and I've had no problems losing.