TEA??

Options
hi everyone! :) i have around 3 to 4 cup of teas a day with 3 sugars and green top milk (only a little bit of milk ) is that bad for my diet , ?? x

Replies

• steve_adediran
    steve_adediran Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If it is 3 sugars per tea cup, that's a lot but if it is 3 sugars in total for the 3 - 4 tea cups then I think it's okay though you may want to attempt reducing this to say half a teaspoon per cup; this will help in reducing your daily refined sugar intake. I think 4 cups of tea a day should not do any damage to your diet. They say tea also contains caffeine but the amounts are minimal in contrast to coffee.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid the bit 'with three sugars' is bad. Sorry hun :o(
    Can't you cut down to 1? Or use splenda sweetener?
    It takes a while but you'll get used to it and like the taste after a while.
    I used to drink tea and coffee with 2-3 sugars. Each cup is around 60 cals!!!! that's 180 -240 cals just in tea!!!!
    I don't have that for the whole of my breakfast!!!

If you used splenda it'd be around 80 cals a day for 4 cups or one sugar you'd save around 120 cals a day. And you wouldn't be getting a sugar kick that's going to make you crave chocolate and biscuits and more sugar. :o(

Hope this helps xxx
  • Mjroxane
    Mjroxane Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If it is 3 sugars per tea cup, that's a lot but if it is 3 sugars in total for the 3 - 4 tea cups then I think it's okay though you may want to attempt reducing this to say half a teaspoon per cup; this will help in reducing your daily refined sugar intake. I think 4 cups of tea a day should not do any damage to your diet. They say tea also contains caffeine but the amounts are minimal in contrast to coffee.

hi , its 3 sugars per cup , so its around 12 sugars a day :/ tryd to cut down but i have a reali sweet tooth , is there anythin sweet i could put in insaid of sweet :/
  • lulu64uk
    lulu64uk Posts: 62
    Options
    Honey ?
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I personally would say that if you can cut the sugar down it would be a good step - if you figure a teaspoon of sugar has around 15 calories that means you're getting 45 per cup, times 3 cups in a day is 135 calories which is quite a lot and not healthy calories either! You could also try substituting Xylitol which is a natural sweetener with a low glycemic load. They carry it at Waitrose.

You'd also save yourself a small bit of fat and calories by switching to red top milk - I switched about 6 months ago and now even green tastes too thick to me!
  • Mjroxane
    Options
    I'm afraid the bit 'with three sugars' is bad. Sorry hun :o(
    Can't you cut down to 1? Or use splenda sweetener?
    It takes a while but you'll get used to it and like the taste after a while.
    I used to drink tea and coffee with 2-3 sugars. Each cup is around 60 cals!!!! that's 180 -240 cals just in tea!!!!
    I don't have that for the whole of my breakfast!!!

If you used splenda it'd be around 80 cals a day for 4 cups or one sugar you'd save around 120 cals a day. And you wouldn't be getting a sugar kick that's going to make you crave chocolate and biscuits and more sugar. :o(

Hope this helps xxx

thats helpd loads , im always craving chocolate and sweet but never know why , just thought its a female thing lol ( as i live with my dad and he dnt reali knw that much when it comes to diet but he never craves choclate and sweet dosent reali eat them :/)
  • Mjroxane
    Options
    I personally would say that if you can cut the sugar down it would be a good step - if you figure a teaspoon of sugar has around 15 calories that means you're getting 45 per cup, times 3 cups in a day is 135 calories which is quite a lot and not healthy calories either! You could also try substituting Xylitol which is a natural sweetener with a low glycemic load. They carry it at Waitrose.

You'd also save yourself a small bit of fat and calories by switching to red top milk - I switched about 6 months ago and now even green tastes too thick to me!

going to get some red top milk , give that ago so its not as bad , also going to try honey at 1st insaid of sugar , so many thanks , very useful and quite bad how many calories i have just in tea! any ideas on a hot drink i could get in the day as i go to college , so it will have be one i could get from town :/
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options
    another suggestion could be to try drinking a different type of tea like earl gray or something. Don't put any sort of sweetener in it at all so you get used to the new taste without it being tainted.

I used to have 3 sugars in tea and cut down to 2 easily. Then I changed to splenda. I found after that if I had normal sugar, I only wanted 1. Then when I got with my husband back when we started dating, he has tea with no sugar and kept forgetting to put it in mine. I used to drink it anyway even though I didn't like it. Then before I knew it I had one with sugar and it tasted vile!! You do get used to no sugar very very quickly. I think it only took me a couple of weeks.

Be brave and try it :-)
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    i love green tea and you can get it infused with lots of flavours, my fav is pineapple and grapefruit. about 1 cal a cup. and you dont use milk or any type of sugar or sweetener!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Sweeten it with stevia, but gradually cut it down to little to no sweetener. You'll find that once your tastebuds adjust, many teas are delicious with no sugar added. The only exception to this is chai. Chai is still best served a bit sweet with cream.
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    i drink at least 10 cups a day lol