One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options
LMT2012
LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
LOTS of conflicting views on whether one should receive a flu shot at the beginning of each season. Consider this an informal poll for MFPers to weigh in all in one place.
Did you get one and feel it was a bad move (ie felt ill afterward, or didn't need it) or the opposite - Not get one and get hit with a bad case?
Do you think it's just for babies and very old people? Do you think it's a hoax? Another common thing I've heard is that it's important to catch and fight off illnesses for future antibodies.
I am in a healthcare industry and would love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Didn't get one. I had a bad reaction to the flu shot 10 years ago. Mild fever, malaise, soreness.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Follow up. You consider that a "bad" reaction? And have you had an actual bout with seasonal flu in the 10 years since you had the shot?
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had the flu. I have never had a flu shot and never will. I do believe they may be of some help in some instances though.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You need to get the shot every year, though. The virus changes all teh time.

My husband got it - he had a heart op last year and is on various meds which would be affected if he got the flu. I didn't - I reckon I'm strong enough to be able to battle against a dose of it.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    The last time I got one was winter 2003, I got the flu the next day (probably coincidental timing). No shots or the flu for a few years. Then I got the flu again this winter. On the plus side for the week I was existing on a liquid and medicine diet, I lost five pounds.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Get one every year. Helps that they do them free at work, but cost is not the issue. The one year I did not get one (late 90's) I was laid low for a week and wanted to die. Mild reactions are normal, and haven't stopped me.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu. I think it's a crock.
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I've never had the shot (unless it was mandatory in elem school, I can't remember?) and I've never had the flu. Though I think it would really kick start my weightloss and I could catch up on Dr. Phil, Law and Order SVU, and Maury.... Hmmmm :laugh:
  • purpleheart416
    purpleheart416 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I got the flu in '98 and have made sure to get a flu shot every year since.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Not shot for me. I have not had one since grade 5 when the school made it mandatory if you wanted your child in school. I do get sick sometimes mostly just a cold or once I got bronchitis and I've only had the 24 your flu a few times I puke go on with my day till about 30 min till I have to puke again then repeat for 24 hours (don't worry I stay home)
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    At my last job we were given the flu shot each year. For 5 years I got the shot, and each year I got sick. I stopped getting the flu shot and haven't been sick with the flu in 6 years.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have never had one. Most of the people I know that get them, get the flu.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think the flu shot is a crock, honestly.
    My g-aunt got the flu shot and then got sick as a dog with flu-like symptoms, and I've heard other people having that reaction as well. I've never had a flu shot, and unless something changes I don't plan on it in the future. I think overvaccination is a real issue; I don't like that it only covers 3 strains of flu and probably won't cover the strain you get; and I find it suspicious that the government it trying to push flu shots for people. Radio ads, the IL Dept of Health is saying how bad the flu is this year but husband and I both (knock on wood) do not know anyone who's had it.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and have never gotten the flu vaccine and I've only come down with the flu once in the last 20 years. My doc doesn't even recommend them unless one has an underlying condition. It's always a crap shoot anyways because it's a guessing game as to which strains to include in there. His recommendation if you want to get vaccinated though is to do it sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas so you're protected for the height of flu season in March.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Last one I had was in 1995!,....only got the flu ONCE since then,..just last month was down for 3wks,..was bad,...but I dont like shots!
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I get the shot every year and have not gotten the flu. However, took my 86 year old father to the hospital a couple of weeks ago. He was diagnosed/admitted for it and he had gotten the vaccine. Hospital staff told us that the strain that was going around was completely different from the shot. Who knows?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    We don't do flu shots, and we've never gotten the flu.

I'll spare the needle prick and just wash my hands and teach my kids to cover their mouths when they sneeze/cough, etc.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare and don't really have a choice, well I can wear a mask for 10 hours a day sitting at a computer not anywhere near anyone else (I'm an accountant) or get the shot. I make sure to get the one with out all of the added preservatives etc that they give pregnant people but my personal opinion is it isn't necessary if you are a healthy person (which I am) and are not around those who are high risk (which I am not)
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've never had a reaction and got them every year till I was about 15 and then *stopped..... No better, or worse for it haha.