WORKOUT AT HOME OR GYM?

Options
Hi. I'm just curious to see what workouts everyone is doing and how they're helping. How often, intensity, goals, etc. If you're a gym-goer, which gym and how often/routine?

I have the Beach Body Power 90 DVDs but never do them at home. I have a dog that needs walking, but I leave that to my husband. I recently joined IN-SHAPE gym in Northern California. I do the Aqua Tone water aerobics Saturday mornings and most days do the treadmill and LifeCycle, about 30 minutes each. I have a trainer for strength training but have only had one session so far. Can't wait to see what he has for me!

I am 39 years old with a husband and little one at home, working full-time outside of the home. I want to lose 130 pounds and fit nicely into a size 7. Trying to be more healthy for a longer quality life and to stomp out my Type 2 Diabetes. I am following a 1300/day "diet"

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I do both. I use to only like a gym, or some form of class for accountability and set time. "I will be here at this time, this day period" it helped with the husband and kids too to know what was up.
    Then school started this fall and having a kindergartner 30 minutes from work, and a toddler in daycare near work and our work times, it got hard. we have to split pick-up and out the window went my one to two day week night availability.

SO..... I get to the gym when I can, and as a family we like the pool (but I'm not getting exercise).
    I'm doing workouts at home more often. Its best when in the AM before kids get up (TOUGH for me) I also do Beachbody programs.

What is it about Power 90 that keeps you from doing it? Have you reviewed different discs? it could be the wrong 'fit' for you, or a scheduling thing (most really do best when you start the week saying I will do X, Y and Z and this day and time). True with kids it can change, but at least have a plan.

You're here for accountability, so that is great!

you've purchased a Beachbody product so you should have a coach there. If you can't find that person, I'd be willing to help if you need more accountability. Being in on-line groups and 'having to check in' can help keep you in check. It Seriously keeps me in check!!

Good luck finding the right fit for YOU! its different for everyone.

Nancy
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love my gym! They provide a lot of support and info, my trainer is excellent, and there are lots of classes offered (yoga, Zumba, kickboxing, cycle, step aerobics, etc.). I use the treadmill, but I like to mix it up and use a bike, elliptical, rowing machine or stair stepper. I lift using both machines and free weights. There's a pool and sauna, and a hot tub. (I haven't even used them yet.) my gym is 5 min. from my house. So for me it's a great deal.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am doing youtube videos. Usually do the Leslie Sansome 2 mile walk and then 2 or 3 Tiffany Roth. Every other day I lift weights (pretty light) and do about 300 different ab things. I have been sedentary for the last 6 years or so, exercise is not easy for me but I am doing it and a friend is challenging me to do a 5k race this summer. OMG, I weigh over 200 lbs but I want to do it! So am off to walk w/boring Leslie.

Just make a commitment to move. It does get easier. Still waiting for my balance to improve. I do fall over on some of the yoga stuff I try :)
  • keren22
    keren22 Posts: 18
    Options
    I work out at home. I work a LOT and "going to the gym" is just one more thing in my day to take up time. I am a coach with Beachbody. I see you have Power 90 - what about it keeps you from doing it? I know that if it isn't a workout you ENJOY, it's simply not going to get done!

I'd be happy to work with you! I have a small, fun support group on Facebook. It really helps with motivation and support! You and I are the same age - so I know your goal is attainable! Here is where to find me http://www.facebook.com/keren.stanton :smile:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I don't really workout a lot, I guess.
    I do Bodyweight exercises 3 times a week. Usually 3-4 sets of 3 or 4 different exercises at 10-20 reps per set. Some with 10-20 lb dumbbells.. Like maybe one day will be a total of 40 seated dips, 30 squats with shoulder press (8 pound dumbbells=16#), 30-each leg side lunges with weights.

Once a week I will go for a brisk walk. In nice weather it is almost daily.

Then the general running up and down stairs all day never remembering what I was going there for, so making 5 trips I stead of 1 each time.
    Forgetfulness is my workout!

I don't record my exercise, instead I determined my TDEE using the activity level "gets exercise 3-5 times a week".
  • keren22
    keren22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow! Looks like you are making a big change for your health, and that is FANTASTIC! If you ever want support and accountability, or help toward your goals, I'm your girl! I offer free nutrition and fitness coaching!

Are you on Facebook? Come find me! http://www.facebook.com/keren.stanton :smile:
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    At home for now,can't afford a gym membership until the youngest hits kindergarten next year. I work out with my Wii, Just Dance, and the 30DS. I take thendog for a walk a few times a week. Just have to get up and move!
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What is it about Power 90 that keeps you from doing it? Have you reviewed different discs? it could be the wrong 'fit' for you, or a scheduling thing (most really do best when you start the week saying I will do X, Y and Z and this day and time). True with kids it can change, but at least have a plan.

Nancy, I am too lazy at home. I go straight from work to the gym and I have a workout buddy there. Doing it at home with the husband and baby...I just don't seem to MAKE the time. I can't really pinpoint what it is. I am enjoying the gym right now and looking forward to results my trainer can help me.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I used to love working out at a gym, but since I moved I find it really hard to get to one. I live about 30 minutes from most gyms and I find that after a 10-12 hours work day in addition to a 3 hours round trip commute...I really just don't have time to go to a gym.

I've been setting up a small home gym. I have an elliptical, kettlebells, dumbells a stability ball, a bosu and my husband's weight bench and weights...also some work out DVD's. I'm finding it much easier to fit in workouts when all I have to do is go downstairs into my basement.
  • boopbabs
    Options
    I love my gym! They provide a lot of support and info, my trainer is excellent, and there are lots of classes offered (yoga, Zumba, kickboxing, cycle, step aerobics, etc.). I use the treadmill, but I like to mix it up and use a bike, elliptical, rowing machine or stair stepper. I lift using both machines and free weights. There's a pool and sauna, and a hot tub. (I haven't even used them yet.) my gym is 5 min. from my house. So for me it's a great deal.

azwen, I agree! My gym also has a pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Lots of different things offered --- and the gym is 15 minutes from work, on my way to pick-up my daughter from daycare...and 5 mins from my house! VERY CONVENIENT!
  • rshields9093
    rshields9093 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that you have gotten a strength trainer (let's just hope he knows what he is doing because there are a lot of bad ones out there that don't know any more than what they read in last month's muscle magazine). But assuming you have a good strength trainer, I think that is an excellent start. I eventually was able to build a nice home gym with all the weights and everything I need to go it alone. But at the start, being at a gym for the (hopefully) expert advice and the atmosphere will probably be very beneficial for you. Lifting weights doesn't just improve your strength. It causes system wide improvements to your endocrine system, bones, joints, ligaments, etc. And it can burn a lot of calories b/c it raises your metabolism for many hours after working out (some other forms of exercise, like interval training, can also do that). I highly recommend that you make it a part of your overall fitness program.

BTW, as a diabetic myself, I can tell you that losing weight and exercising absolutely helps bring it under control. In fact, my HbA1c levels are now totally in the normal range. My doctor told me that if I just lost 10% of my weight I would see big improvements and he was exactly right. Not only regarding diabetes, my lipid panels were better, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. all improved dramatically.

So good luck and you know where to come to find help and encouragement. We're all rooting for you.
  • boopbabs
    Options
    Wow! Looks like you are making a big change for your health, and that is FANTASTIC! If you ever want support and accountability, or help toward your goals, I'm your girl! I offer free nutrition and fitness coaching!

Are you on Facebook? Come find me! http://www.facebook.com/keren.stanton :smile:

Keren, I couldn't find you on FB