Walking the Camino de Santiago

Options
So I have decided that once I am down to my goal weight in a few years (2020) I am going to make the 800 km trek along the Camino to Santiago de Compostela. Is there anyone out there that would be interested in something like this?

Replies

• mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the trek from "The Way"? Just watched that movie and would LOVE to do it! Someday.....
  • BecsBennett
    BecsBennett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the camino 3 years ago and it was amazing! I absolutley loved it and I hope one day I get to do it again! :)
  • NoExcusesJenn
    NoExcusesJenn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the trek from "The Way"? Just watched that movie and would LOVE to do it! Someday.....

Yup it certainly is, I have watched that movie like 5 times in the last 2 weeks lol, I am sooo determined to do this Trek.
  • NoExcusesJenn
    Options
    I did the camino 3 years ago and it was amazing! I absolutley loved it and I hope one day I get to do it again! :)

Which camino did you do? Where did you start, how many days, total cost of trip????
  • Agatharr
    Agatharr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Omg, I'd love to do it one day!
    I'm thinking about doing to after I graduate
  • lcolpo
    lcolpo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That movie was so inspiring and I hope one day to walk it. And that's coming from an atheist!
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just watched the movie the other night, so inspiring, I would love to do that walk but $ and time will most likely prohibit me :(
    good luck!
  • NoExcusesJenn
    Options
    I just watched the movie the other night, so inspiring, I would love to do that walk but $ and time will most likely prohibit me :(
    good luck!

If you want it bad enough you make it happen, I am aiming to do it in 2020. That gives me 7 years to lose the weight and save the money... From what I have read on fourms about the Camino it shouldnt cost more then 1000 euros for a month. plus the cost of the flight to get thier...
    Me and my fiance are saving 100 month untill the day we go. so we have figured a buget of 7500 canadian for the 2 of us to go will be plenty
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I read A Pilgrims Journey/David-MacDougall.
    We holidayed in sw France last year and planned to drive some of the route ending our trip in Santiago, however the weather wasn't great so we stopped at San Sebastian for a couple of days and followed the sun back into France.

I'd still like to do it one day.
  • BecsBennett
    Options
    I started the walk in a small quaint town called St Jean Pied de Port, France and then I walked over the Pyreneese into Roncesvalles, Spain all the way to Santiago de Compestella. The walk took me approximately 5-6 weeks to do and I was walking between 20kms - 30kms per day. The year I did the walk was 2010 - it was a holy year or jubilee year and I think that happens every 11 years, so prices were a bit higher. In saying that it is relatively cheap. Maybe 3-10 euros for a overnight stay in a refugio/alburgue (hostel), 7 euros for a pilgrims meal (but you'll soon get stick of pasta and you'll be heading to the local supermarket to cook your own meals) Also depends where you are staying...In Basque region things were a bit cheaper. In Rioja the accom was more expensive, but the red wine was amazing! Nothing can prepare you for the mental and physical pain...but you'd be suprised that some of the fittest people didn't last, and the overweight and older ones made it to the end! Doing it with your partner/spouse is good, but you also see the ugliest side of each other...so if you can handle that go for it! Also, something to remember is that although it is traditionally a religious pilgrimmage, a lot of people do the walk for other reasons. I did it because I wanted to prove something to myself and I accomplished that :) Buy yourself a good pair of shoes, carry a small backpack and just do it. You are living frugally, you are carrying all your worldy possessions on your back and you soon realise what is and isn't important. I loved doing the camino, but it is tough...there were many times where I was sat on the side of the road crying because I didn't believe in myself or crying because I was in so much pain. And then when you get to Santiago, you realise the camino doesn't stop there. Your life is the camino! Buon Camino (Have a good journey) my friend!
  • NoExcusesJenn
    Options
    I think I might push my camino to 3 years from now rather than 7 years... Maybe for my honeymoon
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing the last 100 km the fall-- just for a taste of it. Hope to do the whole thing sometime too!
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have had this on my list of things to do since I can remember. We had a family friend do it when I was younger and I thought the idea of a mammoth journey/achievement sounded extraordinary. I still do but now I have little kids and have to plan for a 6 week absence in their lives. Seems to me that one of the most important changes you have to go through when you try and lose a lot of weight is to gain the feeling of being in control and being able to handle anything that comes your way (at least, that is my experience). Walking the Camino sounds like it fits into that perfectly.

I'd love to hear how you go with it.
  • cariluvzu
    Options
    @BecsB

This was so beautifully written! I have had my sights on doing the Camino for about a year now...I can't seem to shake how much desire I have to attempt it. I'm starting to save to leave from Texas and I want to do the whole thing...not just a piece of it. I want to get the whole experience while I'm there, why not right?? :)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. This has made me want to go even more and experience the joy of proving to myself that I can. I am a little nervous though about being a girl...I don't have many friends that make a whole lot of money that would probably be able to go so I might be going alone. Is the Camino a safe place for a single female American traveler or should I desperately attempt to find a friend to go with me?

Thanks so much!! (=
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I think I might push my camino to 3 years from now rather than 7 years... Maybe for my honeymoon

I am glad I kept reading - there is no reason to wait so long. There isn't even a reason to wait until you lose all the weight.
  • BecsBennett
    Options
    @BecsB

This was so beautifully written! I have had my sights on doing the Camino for about a year now...I can't seem to shake how much desire I have to attempt it. I'm starting to save to leave from Texas and I want to do the whole thing...not just a piece of it. I want to get the whole experience while I'm there, why not right?? :)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. This has made me want to go even more and experience the joy of proving to myself that I can. I am a little nervous though about being a girl...I don't have many friends that make a whole lot of money that would probably be able to go so I might be going alone. Is the Camino a safe place for a single female American traveler or should I desperately attempt to find a friend to go with me?

Thanks so much!! (=

I'm not au fait with posting responses, i'm still quite new here...sorry if it's not right! It's very, very safe on the camino. I met lots of women walking solo. People who start the walk alone don't usually continue solo...it's incredibly easy to meet people along the way and walk with them. The people you meet with come and go as you walk (just like real life!), so it's a joyful occasion when you bump into an old walking companion weeks later. As a solo female walker you may get a lot of male attention...especially from European men, who love the ladies. I was walking with my boyfriend and it didn't stop the Spanish men from hitting on me, even when I explained to them that the man walking beside me was my boyfriend! They will try it on, probably because they've had success with female pilgrims before! A sad fact is that sometimes possessions will be stolen at the hostels you stay at...it never happened to me, but I heard about from others. If I can give a recommendation don't do the camino during the height of summer...it will be too hot, and accom is scarce, it's on a first come first served basis. Pilgrims who walk will always be given first priority, then it's cyclists, then horse riders and then final priority are the auto-pilgrims who get on tour buses and walk parts of the camino. Walking pilgrims and refugio proprieters always turn up their noses at auto-pilgrims...there's a bit of a hierachy. Start Planning :D
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    It sounds great but read this first

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks

And the heat, omg, that would really be awful. OTOH, it doesn't seem that hard to do as far as walks go because you are never far from food. OTOH you are walking on pavement almost the entire way according to the link.

The Japanese ancient trail the Nakasendo which takes 12 days sounds great to me although I don't eat fish too often.

http://www.oxalis-adventures.com/walking-tours/nakasendo-trail/index.php
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Definitely on my bucket list!! And I loved the movie "The Way"
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I walked the Portugeuse route by myself a few years back. Much more manageable in terms of time - 220km from Porto to Santiago. It was a fantastic experience. There's just something special about being a pilgrim on a route hundreds of thousands of others have walked over hundreds of years.

By the way apart from airfares it was pretty cheap. Pilgrim hostels for 5 euros a night, cheap meals and not much else.

It wasn't the most beautiful walk (and I've hiked a lot of places so I know there's much better) but it was definitely special.

Bon Camino!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just realised, the photo on my ticker is my feet on the Camino! It must be admitted there was a certain amount of pain involved, especially as I was carrying 20kg of extra body weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!