How bad is not eating until late in the day?

Options
I already know the awnser to this but what are the thoughts on not eating until later? I ended up missing breakfast and lunch today so went 13 hours on coffee and a couple of sweets, by the time i got home was STARVING, ended up in the takeaway shop, plugging it in to the calorie counter im still under my total but do you think my body will be doing the staving so save it thing by the time I eat my dinner???

Replies

• adrenaline682
    adrenaline682 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I already know the awnser to this but what are the thoughts on not eating until later? I ended up missing breakfast and lunch today so went 13 hours on coffee and a couple of sweets, by the time i got home was STARVING, ended up in the takeaway shop, plugging it in to the calorie counter im still under my total but do you think my body will be doing the staving so save it thing by the time I eat my dinner???

You're fine. Total caloric intake matters most. How you divide those calories into your individual meals will effect preferential things like mood, possibly gym performance, etc, etc, but how it effects your metabolism/fat loss is negligible.

You could literally eat all your calories between dinner and bedtime in one or two big meals and if you behave fine on that method you will still make great progress.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter

nice hat
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You're fine. Total caloric intake matters most. How you divide those calories into your individual meals will effect preferential things like mood, possibly gym performance, etc, etc, but how it effects your metabolism/fat loss is negligible.

You could literally eat all your calories between dinner and bedtime in one or two big meals and if you behave fine on that method you will still make great progress.

^^yep
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Eat most of mine at night!:-)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Not to worry you'll be OK. I work 3rd shift and most days my 1st meal is at 3 PM. :smile:
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks, going to have a jaffa cake to celebrate!!
  • neiljbrady
    neiljbrady Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Worst is psychological, thinking you're going to "starve" to death. Usually the problem is that you end up "gorging". If you didn't do that " no worries".
  • yogafan63
    yogafan63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started taking a nutrition class, and the teacher (with a masters in nutrition) states that your body is more insulin sensitive later in the day. That is why you should eat the most in the morning, and least at night. It's hard to do with a job, but he says that yes, it does hurt you to eat most of your food late in the day. Some people obviously have success even if they do that. And even the teacher says that no one can do everything 100% of the time. But I would imagine if this is your norm, it will hurt your weight loss goals or at least be not as healthy.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    personally, I'd be tired, crabby, and dizzy, but if it works for you, go for it. I skip dinner, so I'm the opposite. My theory is, eat the calories while I'm up and using them, instead of pile on the food and then sleep.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I do this deliberately, every day! I'm in intermittent faster and my eating window is from 3-9, it works absolutely fabulously for me :-)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    No you are fine! Actually you're having a better day than I. It's only 1:30 in the afternoon and I've already surpassed my fat goal.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I just started taking a nutrition class, and the teacher (with a masters in nutrition) states that your body is more insulin sensitive later in the day. That is why you should eat the most in the morning, and least at night. It's hard to do with a job, but he says that yes, it does hurt you to eat most of your food late in the day. Some people obviously have success even if they do that. And even the teacher says that no one can do everything 100% of the time. But I would imagine if this is your norm, it will hurt your weight loss goals or at least be not as healthy.

Calories in vs calories out is what causes someone to lose or gain weight.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Check out the intermittent fasting threads.. Everyone has a different take, some people prefer to do it and it works great for them, others prefer 3 solid meals or smaller meals throughout the day. I don't really think there's a right or wrong way, just as long as you're getting the calories you need.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Get a refund. It's the other way around. It's slightly better to eat later on as opposed to frontloading the calories. As far as weight loss goes, it's absolutely better not to eat most of your calories in the morning for several reasons.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's only bad if not eating causes you to binge later or make bad food choices. Controlled IF is awesome though.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question! i was wondering the same thing because with the kids, I normally survive on my coffee until later!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm in intermittent faster and my eating window is from 3-9

wow, I didn't know this was called intermittend fasting but my brother and I both ate like this as kids (totally nothing until we got home from school) - we were not overweight kids!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You'll live. When I go too long without eating, I got grumpy and I tend to over-eat - even if I'm under my calorie goals. Not good for me.

Tomorrow's another day. If you sleep late, grab an apple.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One method that is lie what you are taking about. Check it out-- http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Free eBook- http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Cal calculator- http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/