Starving after workout!

Options
After I workout I'm always so hungry! What is a good snack or meal after workouts!

Replies

• kelfer80
    kelfer80 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS hungry after I workout so I try to plan ahead what I'm going to eat. This keeps me from raiding the kitchen the sec I get home!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Really, unless you have specific dietary needs ANYTHING is good to eat after a workout.

If you are more concerned with 'optimal' things to eat, it's been theorized that a whey protein shake and a carbohydrate source (fruit, rice cakes, corn tortillas, yams, sugary cereal, etc.) with very little fat is your best bet. Again, I say 'theorized' because some will argue that meal timing isn't at all important, nutrient timing isn't important, and food 'quality' isn't important... for some it isnt', but for some it is. If you are leaning out for a bikini competition for example, those things DO matter.

Personally I have the aforementioned combination of protein + fast digesting carbs with minimal fats for my post-workout meal. For the next meal I have a more balanced proportion to my meal and include fats into it.

What you choose to eat really is up to you! I suppose if you are looking for suggestions we'd need to know more about your chosen way of eating and goals...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    me too,,, i chug loads of water, no food.
  • StephyJarn
    StephyJarn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly just trying to stay within my calories, I'm not on a specific diet! I really have no leadership on what to do!!!
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I have a sandwich prepared when I come back after exercising. I exercise mostly in the evening; I prepare dinner so that when I get back, I have a nice shower and then dinner but that's just me. Everybody has different post workout snacks/meals. I hope I did give you some ideas to look into if you wanted.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Really, unless you have specific dietary needs ANYTHING is good to eat after a workout.

If you are more concerned with 'optimal' things to eat, it's been theorized that a whey protein shake and a carbohydrate source (fruit, rice cakes, corn tortillas, yams, sugary cereal, etc.) with very little fat is your best bet. Again, I say 'theorized' because some will argue that meal timing isn't at all important, nutrient timing isn't important, and food 'quality' isn't important... for some it isnt', but for some it is. If you are leaning out for a bikini competition for example, those things DO matter.

Personally I have the aforementioned combination of protein + fast digesting carbs with minimal fats for my post-workout meal. For the next meal I have a more balanced proportion to my meal and include fats into it.

What you choose to eat really is up to you! I suppose if you are looking for suggestions we'd need to know more about your chosen way of eating and goals...

^^^^ This. Perfectly said. That is all you need to no. Don't over think it. :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What time of day are you working out? My workouts are typically mid-morning so by the time I'm done, it's pretty much lunch time. I also plan for a few snacks in the afternoon since the 7 hours between lunch and dinner is a bit too long.

I've always heard something with a good balance of protein and carbs is good to have after a workout. A lot of people do protein shakes or chocolate milk. If I work out in the afternoon, I like having a greek yogurt and/or a protein bar and/or banana.

And yes, plenty of water. Unless you're drinking water while working out, you're likely in need of some hydration.
  • edwinamac
    edwinamac Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I normally workout out around 6am...and I am ALSO starving afterwards, however, by the time I shower and get myself together, its time for breakfast, so I eat breakfast...If I go to the gym in the afternoon, I always make sure that I've got a piece of fruit, or a granola bar, or something of that sort, to eat on my way home, to keep from going all overboard when I make it home.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the morning, I have a banana afterwards. I try to do my higher carb fruits early in the day. Any other time of day I have natural almonds and string cheese or the occasional ham sandwich. I try to go for protein.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I workout right after work so I eat dinner. Usually a protein of some form and veggies. I've also been adding a protein shake in the evening, too.
  • BritneyGross
    Options
    Oatmeal!!!! With a banana! So satisfying :P
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS starving after a workout. I turn into a complete B word if I do not eat. So I drink a protein shake afterwards or I will completely binge or end up in jail for assault. Neither one is good.
  • jenjenn76
    Options
    After I workout I'm always so hungry! What is a good snack or meal after workouts!

I'm always starving after too! So, I started carrying a protein bar with me. I like Pure Protein bars. The small ones. Right around 200 calories, low in sugar, high in protein. Good tasting.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I'm a 'shaker' - protein powder, soy milk and blueberries after a workout. I usually need a meatsicle snack a few hours later on lifting days.

Meatsicle = last night's grilled meat source, cold out of the fridge, stuck on a fork - a convenience food, but I also hear that cold protein is good for some reason. If that's just a tale told by this old wife, somebody enlighten me!
  • StephyJarn
    StephyJarn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this Is a big help!
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with this as well and they all have made excellent suggestions. Almond, protien bars are all good go with what they said now you can switch things up. They say after a work out you are suppose to have protien within 20 mins... not sure if this is 100% acurate but maybe something to keep in mind. Good luck!
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist a few months ago and one of the best takeaways from that was she stated that you should have at least 7 g of protein no later than 30 minutes after completing a work out.

I have portioned out the energy mix from Sams Club and it's about 140 calories for 1/4 cup. What I am doing now is the light muscle milk 100 calorie and it helps with the after workout hunger.
  • Today's snack will be banana ice cream. It's just a frozen banana blended with some greek yoghurt, with or without a scoop of protein powder (haven't decided yet)
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have been participating in Nike Training Club for about 2 weeks. Last night, I did it and ate a normal dinner. 3 hours later, I was starving when heading home from a late night meeting! I stopped and purchased some food that I didn't really want to eat because I couldn't go to bed that hungry. I had to research hunger after workout because I felt that incident was counter productive. I found this helpful.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I go home and cook dinner.. lol..

But it usually takes me an hour or so afterwards to be hungry. I'm too hyped up afterwards to eat I think.. I work my butt off lol