Shin Splints -- Jogging/Running

Options
OWWIE!

I've been walking for the last two weeks incorporating some short spurts of jogging and it hit me last night and hard!
I had to read up on why my shins were hurting so bad...almost like they were bruised.

Was wondering if this happened to anyone when they first started out?

Replies

• Jnet4
    Jnet4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you walking in good shoes? I only say this because I was like that then I went and spent the $$$ on running shoes. They are more expensive but definitely took care of the problem. I'm no expert but I would also make sure you are easing yourself into it, if you go to fast/hard too soon you will have more pain. Also be sure you are using rest ice and elevation!

Good luck to you!

-J
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It did and 2 things saved me... good shoes and a shorter stride.

actually, the way I can tell that my shoes are going bad now is when my shins start hurting
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Its your shoes! It really is. Get new running shoes. If you can, go to a running store and get fitted by a professional.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have tried running multiple times in the past and I have always had shin splints. Even ever since middle school! This past fall I started running again but this time with Vibram Fivefinger shoes (a.k.a. toe shoes). It is the first time ever I have not had shin splints!! Read up on the Fivefingers. If you decide to try them, go slow with them and give them a chance. Also read up on "forefoot" running. I use this technique when I wear my Fivefingers. I do not think the shoes or this technique are for everyone but they have worked for me!
  • AleshaRae82
    AleshaRae82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! The consensus on good runnign shoes really is making sense. I got a pair of Nikes a while back for work and have been using those when I get home to walk.

I've been super eager with getting in shape that I foget to let my body catch up. I can't just go full blast into this.
    Thank you all very much - I will definitely be heading to the store this weekend to pick up some good kicks.

I'll have to do some reasearch on those 'toe shoes'. I've heard they exist but I dont know very much about them. That's great that they seem to be working for you - I'll have to look into that!