Circuit Training - Does it really work??

Options
Hi!

I am 5'7.5 and 255 lbs. I joined a ladies gym that offers curcuit training similiar to Curves perhaps. I had weight loss surgery in July and am down 55 lbs. I've finally committed to exercise. I am still quite large, I wanted something to get me started and chose circuit training. Does this really work and what are the benefits? How can I get the max benefit from it? I would eventually like to get into lifting like I did 12 years ago.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is awesome! It combines strength training and cardio so you get a much higher calorie burn in a shorter amount of time.
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    I just started working out again and started doing the circuit training. I find it enjoyable because it breaks the time up. I have a 1 year old and haven't really worked out since before I was pregnant. I'm 27 but I started noticed some knee pain after a couple weeks of the workouts along with walking/jogging on my treadmill. I'm taking a couple days off and going to start slow again. So I guess I was just going to warn you that if you're new to working out you should maybe take it easy at first to avoid injury. A lot of the workouts have some high impact moves. Also, they do have low impact dvd's that you can buy and also a lot on youtube that you can watch for free if you wanted to try it to see if you like it. Good luck!!
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    On youtube if you look up the Fitness Blender low impact cardio it should come up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i did circuits when I first started working out and still do on ocassion..I actually prefer straight up strength training - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, weighted chins/pulls, etc....Just becuase you are a girl does not mean you can train big...

Maybe start with some circuit training and then go to something different as the weight comes off? Don't let anyone tell you not to squat are deadlift ...I think those are things that we should all do ..just my two cents :)
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I only paid for a 3 month membership for I figured that I would need to move on to straight weights eventually. And so it goes...I'm so excited!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Circuit training trades strength gains for cardio gains.

Now if you are looking for maximum benefit in minimal time, its a good idea.

But it is neither ideal for getting stronger or getting more aerobically fit. Circuit training gains will max out eventually (at a farily low level for both strength and cardio endurance).

But circuit training is a fun way to exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sustain a healthy calorie deficit to lose weight.

Lift to change how you look (machines, free weights, cinder blocks, body weight, whatever)

Do cardio for higher calorie burns and/or cardiovascular health.

Based on that, circuit training can work depending on your goals and your diet.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hey! I started circuit training 2ish weeks ago taking a class at the gym twice a week. I think it's an awesome work out mostly cuz of what said above. it combines both cardio and strenght.. you're not gonna notice biig changes on your body muscles as if you were just lifting but I'm def noticing that i'm getting more in shape overall and can keep up better each time..

Take it easy the first classes though.. I went all out on the first one that i was so sore when i sat at the office i pretty much couldn't get up of how much my legs/butt hurted lol

Good luck and enjoy! :)
  • Jdkrupnick
    Options
    I just started doing them last week just to change up my routine and noticed a bump in my weekly weight loss compared to the previous month. I'll keep them going until the weather breaks here in the Northeast and I can get back out on the bike but then I'll go back to seperate strength and aerobic routines.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine got me a free membership (2 weeks) trial to her circuit training gym I found it boring ,changing every few seconds didn't feel i was getting anything out of the work out or machines. Equipment was sweating & wet from previous user which turned me off. People were unfriendly & not helpful sure pushed the sale of their gym. My friend has been going 2 years sorry but I'm not seeing the results. I ran to the community rec center & have taken several classes. I have lost inches & pounds. I started at 0 this year to keep track of the 35 pounds I have left to lose. Find what works for you. Perhaps it was just the wrong gym. 30 min running from machine to machine every few seconds your asking to hurt yourself, twist ankle, blow out a knee to name a few problems that can happen.Good luck in your weight loss