not loosing

Options
I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and im really frustrated, i've only lost 2 pounds i dont know what im doing wrong because im only eating the alotted calories im exercising and then eating those calories, i have the weight to loose i just dont know why its not coming off. is there something wrong with me or am i just expecting to much within the 1st couple of weeks.

Replies

• Kimbers
    Kimbers Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and im really frustrated, i've only lost 2 pounds i dont know what im doing wrong because im only eating the alotted calories im exercising and then eating those calories, i have the weight to loose i just dont know why its not coming off. is there something wrong with me or am i just expecting to much within the 1st couple of weeks.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    How much is your daily deficit vs. your BMR (basal metabolic rate)?

Also, give it time. Everyone is different. Some lose a lot to begin with then slow down; some lost a little to begin with and then speed up; and some lose steady but at a lower rate.

You don't have too much to lose, so it will be a slower process for you, I'm sorry to say! You probably didn't want to hear that, right?
  • adore217
    adore217 Posts: 33
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? Are you drinking enough water? Usually the first couple of week you lose water weight, so it's pretty common to see weight loss being easier in the beginning. Are you tracking anything other than calories?
    :flowerforyou:
  • Kimbers
    Options
    i think im eating healthy i eat things like chicken and egg whites, wraps, salads. Should i be eating more of something else?
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    same here too, ever since i started early may, i've only lost 3 pounds. i've lost 5 pounds before i started counting calories. at times i feel like i want to give up because i've been exercising since late march 08. however, i been noticing that my clothes are getting bigger on me. i don't have a muffin top anymore, and it makes me want to continue. of course i want to see those three red digits go down, so i'm gonna continue what i'm doing and hope for the better. just hang on. :wink:
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    by the way i was looking at your avatar pix and you look "GREAT"!
  • sheristeele
    Options
    Remember that working out builds up muscle tone, and muscle weight is more than fat. My sister has been working out for 12 weeks and has only lost 1 pound. BUT: the good news: she has lost 4 inches around her waist and is healthy and looks good. Pounds aren't everything.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I would mirror Shorerider's comments, I also would like to hear your numbers. also would be helpful if you threw in your height, weight, and activity level (from your goals section).

It may help.

Things to remember: from your profile, it doesn't look like you have a ton of weight to lose, so you probably won't see the dramatic numbers that someone who is obese might see when you start. Since your body isn't making such a huge change (like someone who was, say 100 lbs overweight) you won't see the large weight loss right at the start that some may see. Remember, not everyone starts with a bang, some bodies need to take a month or two to adjust to the new habits, once that adjustment is made, then the weight and inches start to slowly drain away.

What you can't do is get discouraged, remember, this WILL work, it isn't a question of that, the only question for us is, do we have the will power to stick it out for the long haul. It may take 3 months to see noticable results (oh yes, it really can!) but it WILL happen for you. My only caveat to that is if you have a medical condition, if you do, that changes the game completely.

Best luck,

Banks
  • adore217
    adore217 Posts: 33
    Options
    It may be that with your activity level you may no see progress on the scale but in inches off your body. Try taking your messurements and track those. Some people won't even hop the scale until the end of the month. You look to be in pretty good shape so with every pound of fat you loss your may be gaining muscle.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    i think im eating healthy i eat things like chicken and egg whites, wraps, salads. Should i be eating more of something else?

Sounds like you're doing everything right, maybe you need to look at other numbers like how many inches you are around the waist compared to what you were. Is your bra able to clasp a little further? Are you noticing that it's easier to button your jeans and you can go up stairs without feeling winded? When the numbers on the scale aren't going down, and you're doing everything right, you have to look at the larger picture!

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    Remember that working out builds up muscle tone, and muscle weight is more than fat. My sister has been working out for 12 weeks and has only lost 1 pound. BUT: the good news: she has lost 4 inches around her waist and is healthy and looks good. Pounds aren't everything.
    I second this!!! I have only lost 9 lbs. since the middle of March, but I can see muscles and I have dropped one size! Is it frustrating not to see the lower numbers on the scale? Heck yes! Just keep plugging away. The worst thing you can do is to give up. I just started taking spin classes because I can see and feel the musle, but most of it is still under a layer of fat. So, I thought if I upped my cardio the weight loss might speed up a bit. Just keep up the good work!!!:bigsmile:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Well, how many calories a day are you eating? deficit Vs. you BMR?
  • Kimbers
    Options
    My bmr is around 1600 a day i eat the 1200 plus exercise calories, i exercise at least 30 min a day that could be more right now i weigh 173 and im 5ft9in. I know i dont have alot to loose but my weight about a year ago was around 155 so i know i can get back down to that.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be a slow process....remember how long it took you to put that weight on? It will take awhile for your body to get rid of the extra pounds, just like it took it awhile to put them on. Be patient...it will come:smile:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok, so your deficit is 400 calories a day. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. That means that with a 400 a day deficit (and you can't go over that because of your low BMR and never should go under 1200 a day intake) then in a week, you'll have a 2000 calorie deficit.

In two week, you'll have a 4000 calorie deficit.

That means it's going to take you almost 2 weeks to lose 1 pound--or about 1/2 pound a week.

So really, you're right on schedule for what you should be losing!

In fact, you're about 1/2 pound a head of what you should be losing based on your daily deficit.

does that sound right to all else?

You're at a great rate of loss--a healthy rate--a rate that will enable you to lose and keep it off!

Congrats! :drinker:

Oopps--sorry, editing this for my math.

In a week, you'll have a 2800 calorie deficit--in two weeks, you'll have a 5600 deficit.

You're still at a great rate.
  • banks1850
    Options
    My bmr is around 1600 a day i eat the 1200 plus exercise calories, i exercise at least 30 min a day that could be more right now i weigh 173 and im 5ft9in. I know i dont have alot to loose but my weight about a year ago was around 155 so i know i can get back down to that.

well, I think I know why you arent' losing.

assuming an active lifestyle

at your weight/height/age

your Maintenance calories are 2350 (or there abouts)

that means if you eat 1200 calories you are 1150 calories a day below maintenance. That, In my humble opinion, is MUCH too aggressive. I believe your body is probably already in a panic and storing fat at a high rate. This is just my opinion, but If I were you I would move up your daily calories to something at or above your BMR (I would suggest a 500 calories deficit which would put you at aroun d1850 a day before any exercise). Even if you are at a lightly active lifestyle, that would still put you at 1650 calories after a 500 calorie deficit (although I doubt that is you since your BMR is at 1600 already)
    take this for what you will, I hope it works out for you.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I bumped my post on 1000 calorie deficit for you, take a peek if you like, I think it pertains to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel- I have been at a constant plateau since Feb- and lose and gain the same 3lbs-- I know it is really discouraging-Just start measuring yourself too- Cause you could be losing inches I know you want to see the scale go down too because I do too and it doesn't seem to want to do that right now either- but just stick with it- the weight didn't come on over night and its not going to come off over night either-- If it is really concerning you go speak with a nutritionist and or you doctor- I know I did and he was even stumpped I actually have an appointment with a nutritionist
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Hi Kimbers,

I'm 5'10", and my 'feel good' weight is 175. That puts me in a size 14, which, like it or not, is realistic! I know we all want to be a 2, but c'mon. You look absolutely stunning, my friend, I would almost think 155 might be a little small for you? But it's all about where you feel good. :happy:

Good luck, and hang in there. Those blasted numbers go up and down, and they mean nothing to what we are as people. (Still trying to get that concept myself!) :flowerforyou:

Ange
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hey Kim, just wanted you to know you are not alone. I'm also 5'9'' and didn't have much to lose. I'm only a couple pounds away from my goal weight of 135, but it's taken me AGES to get here, and now that I'm so close and I can see what my body looks like at this weight, I've realized that I will be changing my goal to about 128-130. And that will take even longer! It's alllll a process, a slow and sometimes painful process, but that's how we learn.

Good luck, and if you want to talk to someone who's the same-ish build as you, let me know. :flowerforyou: