What should I follow, MFP or TDEE?

Options
MFP allots me, at 5'8, 27 years old and 338.8lbs 1910 calories (actually it should be a little lower since it was calculated at my previous weight of 340.6) calories a day to lose 2 pounds per week. I don't exercise. So far just by following MFP I've lost 6lbs.

Using Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
x 1.2 for sedentary activity level I get a TDEE of 2785. With a 25% reduction of 696 calories, that gives me 2088. What would eating the 2088 do for me?

I'm new to this, obviously, so be please explain your answer. Also, if I were to exercise, could I eat back the calories no matter if I was using MFP or TDEE if I so chose?

Edited to add, thank you! Oops, also put in wrong TDEE

Replies

• kerrbear20
    kerrbear20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do you feel hungry at the MFP level of calories? If not, I wouldn't go up. You ARE losing. :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    BMR is the lowest you should consume while your TDEE - X% is what you should regularly consume with your current activity level to lose weight at around 2lbs a week I believe... but I am absolutely no expert.
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    at 345.4 and 5.7 im given 2150 a day to eat i would follow MFP
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You did your math wrong.

Your BMR is 2320... your TDEE is 2785 roughly.

Doing TDEE - 25% is about 2000 calories. VERY close to the 1910 MFP gave you.

When you exercise, eat back only half the calories. This helps offset issues with accuracy.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Use the TDEE and eat back your exercise. Reason: Why eat less than you need to when you can lose weight in a healthy happy manner eating more? I am closing in on my goal eating TDEE-20% and eating back as much of my exercise calories as I can/need to.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

Also, these things +1!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I agree, your math is wrong. Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

My understanding is if you follow TDEE you do not eat back your exercise calories.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I use the calculations on scoobys calculator (google it) and it's worked for me - it has the same numbers as the road map, but it's easier to enter numbers in to
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I agree, your math is wrong. Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

My understanding is if you follow TDEE you do not eat back your exercise calories.

Can eat them back if you do TDEE at sedentary and then log your exercise. DO NOT count exercise in TDEE AND log the exercise... that is double dipping!
  • Bunnycub
    Options
    I personally feel as though MFP doesn't allot enough calories...when I use the 1200 that MFP suggests I lose about 5lbs and then get stuck. In the past when I've stopped losing I've gotten frustrated and quit...this time around, however, I am using my TDEE which suggests I eat 1750 (after the 15-20% reduction) and I've passed my usual 5lb loss and am still losing. Granted I just started back on the website, but I think the TDEE is a better estimate. It makes more sense too if you look at the research behind the TDEE, I think when you calorie restrict too much like MFP suggests your body tends to store more and doesn't have the building blocks to build muscle.

In regards to eating back exercise calories, I say it's a must with MFP allotments. I think they suggest too few calories as it is so without eating back your exercise calories you are really cutting your intake. The TDEE on the other hand is calculated using your typical daily exercise so it's already included in the estimated number of calories they suggest you consume, so I am not eating those back and so far so good!

Hope this helps. This is just my experience though...everyone's body reacts differently. You really just have to experiment and see what works for you. If you're losing weight don't change anything...if you start to get stuck, switch things up!

Good luck!
  • smurfaggie07
    Options
    You did your math wrong.

Your BMR is 2320... your TDEE is 2785 roughly.

Doing TDEE - 25% is about 2000 calories. VERY close to the 1910 MFP gave you.

When you exercise, eat back only half the calories. This helps offset issues with accuracy.

Thanks, I knew I was going to screw something up with that post.

And thank you all for your input!