Type 1 Diabetes?

Options
My 3-year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in September of 2012. Anyone here either have T1D or are the parents or guardians of a diabetic? Or maybe diabetes is your specialty? We have a wonderful medical support team, but it's encouraging to meet others who understand. It's ironic that I actually stumbled upon MFP by accident. I kept Googling particular foods my son would eat throughout the day so I could calculate the carbs for each insulin dose, and time and time again the answer would be found in the MFP site! Now, as a result I use this tool for my own calorie counting for weight-loss, and also for carb counting for my son's insulin. Please add me if you can relate... or feel free to add me even if you can't :-)

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My husband is T1 - he often asks me check the carb count of meals on here. We also have a very active T1 at the school where I work- he has a snazzy insulin pump that continuously measures his blood sugars and injects tiny amounts of insulin every couple of minutes. Very expensive but much more like non-diabetics work, and great for active kids, so might be something to ask about. I feel for you having to inject your baby:(
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Shelly
    I am a Type1 diabetic (adult onset in my case) Feel free to add me if you think I can help. It is great that you are working with your medical team, there is so much to learn and it takes time to find out what will work best for your son. I would suggest you join the following MFP group.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/512-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance
    I do know we have another mother who is helping her son through this disease and we have a variety of helpful supportive members there.
    Take care and be well
    Panda_1999
  • shellywillmann
    shellywillmann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do want to get him on the pump as soon as he qualifies for it. I think it would be so much better for him. They tell me he has to have been diabetic for 6 months before he can get on the pump. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My son was dx'd when he was 4 and pumping since 5. He just turned 10.

I have a good support network of people that are local to me, and quite bunch on Facebook. Don't go it alone... get help. Someone out there is be willing to sit up with you all night as you stave off a bad low, even if they're just online.

You also might want to checkout the forums at http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do want to get him on the pump as soon as he qualifies for it. I think it would be so much better for him. They tell me he has to have been diabetic for 6 months before he can get on the pump. Thanks for the encouragement!

Hi Shelly!! :) I am type 1 Diabetic myself so I can definitely relate! I wasn't very young when i was diagnosed, but at the time I was still in highschool. That's been over 10 nows... I belong to a group on here >> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/249-type-1-juvenile-diabetics It's full of Type 1's and also a few people I've seen that are the parents of T1's. This past fall I went from taking shots to using the omni pod pump. Friend request sent by the way :)
  • torybobory1989
    torybobory1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been a type 1 diabetic for about 14 years now (since I was 8 years old). Things can be tough, especially in the teenage years, but I am happy to say I'm free of complications, and now that I'm out of college, I'm working hard to bring my hA1c down to a 6.5. I have a minimed pump, and I am about to get their latest sensor technology from them.

The pump was a great way to try to bring things to a normal place for me. I highly recommend it at the very least as a way to keep things a bit more convenient and manageable.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm dad to a 12yo daughter with Type1 since she was 8 and she also uses the Omnipod so any other T1 or T1 parents feel free to add me.
  • unotlazy
    unotlazy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My son was 17 months when he was diagnosed. He is 3.5 y.o. now. He was on the pump in less than two months since diagnosis. Our doctor very much encouraged it.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is a T1. I keep track of what he eats and his insulin amounts as much as I can. I also try to get him to log food/watch it on here. :)
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am Type 1, diagnosed at 4 1/2 so I've had it almost 30 years. I've only been on the pump about 3 years but it makes life sooooo much easier!!! Technology is amazing and has come a LONG way and I can't wait to see what is in store for us.

I will tell you my teen years were the hardest! I just wanted to be a "NORMAL" kid. I really started to take care of myself once I turned 28 or so. Good luck and please feel free to ask me any questions if you need :)
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm dad to a 12yo daughter with Type1 since she was 8 and she also uses the Omnipod so any other T1 or T1 parents feel free to add me.

How does she like the omnipod?? I've thought about switching from Minimed but I'm afraid it would be bulky under clothes. will be good to get an opinion from another "lady".
  • shellywillmann
    Options
    Hellraisedfire, I can imagine that your boyfriend's mother is very thankful for you!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a type one diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was nine. I just hit my 18 year anniversary this last November. I also use a pump. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

-Jillian
  • shellywillmann
    Options
    I am Type 1, diagnosed at 4 1/2 so I've had it almost 30 years. I've only been on the pump about 3 years but it makes life sooooo much easier!!! Technology is amazing and has come a LONG way and I can't wait to see what is in store for us.

I will tell you my teen years were the hardest! I just wanted to be a "NORMAL" kid. I really started to take care of myself once I turned 28 or so. Good luck and please feel free to ask me any questions if you need :)

ok this is first time I'm replying in a quote. Hope I'm doing this right! Laurenell, it's very encouraging to meet you having had diabetes your whole life. Other mom's of T1D kids tell me it's sort of a blessing that my son was diagnosed so young. They say he won't remember any other way. Of course, I see you have had diabetes since you were very young and your teen years were still challenging. Hopefully, he will not feel so different. We were fortunate enough to have been introduced to another family in our community who has a boy my son's age with T1D. I'm hoping that they can grow up as buddies, and I hope that will help them both in their teen years. Thanks again!
  • shellywillmann
    Options
    My son was 17 months when he was diagnosed. He is 3.5 y.o. now. He was on the pump in less than two months since diagnosis. Our doctor very much encouraged it.
    I have been asking his doctor for him to be on the pump since he was diagnosed, but they keep telling me that he has to wait a few months. Frustrating a little, but at least 6 months is coming upon us fast.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know a few of kids who were on a pump at diagnosis. If you insist, and you are motivated to learn, there is NO reason why you can't. You can always find another endocrinologist.

However, I find pumping is more difficult than straight-up shots, and mixing it in with the difficulty of diagnosis isn't for everyone. The pump doesn't making diabetes easier or more controllable, it allows you more *flexibility* if you are willing to put in the extra work.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

How does she like the omnipod?? I've thought about switching from Minimed but I'm afraid it would be bulky under clothes. will be good to get an opinion from another "lady".

My daughter loves the Omnipod. She is in dance and sports and it's nice with a little planning you can place the pods on the arm or the belly or the hip depending on what she will be doing and/or wearing. I also heard the next generation of Pods was finally FDA approved (or almost approved) which is possibly smaller and maybe has a built in CGM? Not 100% sure on that one but I know it's been in the works for a while.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My husband is type 1... he wasn't diagnosed until after we were married.. in fact, he was diagnosed the same week we had our first born (12 years ago)! I joke that he was the one that ended up with the diabetes, not me. Sigh.

In any case, he doesn't take very good care of himself. I do my best by offering him heathier options. I'm actually hoping that I can get him to finally register for an appt with a nutritionist so that I can come too. I just want to be sure that I'm offering him the right combinations of foods when we do eat together. :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a type 1 diabetic, I use an insulin pump and praise God I'm complication free 34 years after diagnosis.
  • shellywillmann
    Options
    My husband is type 1... he wasn't diagnosed until after we were married.. in fact, he was diagnosed the same week we had our first born (12 years ago)! I joke that he was the one that ended up with the diabetes, not me. Sigh.

In any case, he doesn't take very good care of himself. I do my best by offering him heathier options. I'm actually hoping that I can get him to finally register for an appt with a nutritionist so that I can come too. I just want to be sure that I'm offering him the right combinations of foods when we do eat together. :)
    You and I have more in common than you know. My husband was diagnosed with type 2 the same week that my son was diagnosed with type 1. He tested his blood sugar with my son's meter for fun and that's how we found out - while we were in the hospital for my son's diagnosis. I know that type 2 is different, but still.. I am always watching what they both eat now. My husband has poor eating habits (in my opinion) but, I think he's getting better.