Totally lost in regards to TDEE and calories.

Options
Hi all,

I joined last year and lost my motivation, but I'm getting back into it. I've always just gone by whatever MFP tells me in regards to calories and I'm wondering if that's the best thing to do.

But I honestly have no clue how to figure out what I actually should be eating.

If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

I'm 5'8, 268lbs and 29 years old.
My BMR is 1991.
My TDEE is 2749.

How many calories should I be eating in a day and how do I figure this out for myself?

Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Rounding.

BMR = 2000 (Don't eat under)
    TDEE = 2800 (Don't eat over)

0.5 pounds a week weight loss is 2800 - 250 = 2550 calories a day
    1.0 pounds a week weight loss is 2800 - 500 = 2300 calories a day
    1.5 pounds a week weight loss is 2800 - 750 = 2050 calories a day

Pick one that suits your weight loss goal. For your weight, I'd suggest somewhere between 1.0 and 1.5 pounds a week loss.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    you can also google "scooby fitness" and there is a calculator there that does it for you.
  • bailuna
    bailuna Posts: 56
    Options
    Rounding.

Pick one that suits your weight loss goal. For your weight, I'd suggest somewhere between 1.0 and 1.5 pounds a week loss.

Thanks very much for this.

For my exercise calories, should I be eating those back or not? Or is that up to personal preference?
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This subject always leaves me cross eyed too.... I know I don't eat quite enough but hey it's working =)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Check out this link. It will break it down in a way you can grasp.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Rounding.

For my exercise calories, should I be eating those back or not? Or is that up to personal preference?

With TDEE you do not eat back your exercise calories. It is already built in.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Rounding.

Eat to around about your BMR and eat back your exercise calories. It you don't lose weight after two weeks then only eat back some of your exercise calories until you find a balance that fits (I eat back about 50% of mine). It will be slow and steady weight loss that is achievable, won't make you feel like you are starving and won't mess your body up.

Couple of tips:

* Every time you lose 10lbs recalculate your BMR - you will need less calories as you lose weight
    * Don't trust the exercise calories calculated by MyFitnessPal - they generally really overestimate. If you can, buy an HRM and use that instead. If not, assume MFP is calculating your calories as double what they actually are
    * Buy a cheap set of kitchen scales and weigh your food and drink so you can be certain of the calorie count
    * Come back on MFP if you have any queries - lots of people happy to offer support!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

You figured your exercise into your TDEE, so no. Do not eat your exercise calories back.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    OMGOODNESS! I am in the same boat I'm so confused, all the really fit tone people are saying don't do 1200 ever! Alot of people who lost a lot of weight are saying do only 1200 until you get to your goal weight - including this MFP site.
    I'm so confused :sad:
    I don't even know what TDEE is or how to figure it out exactly- and people have tried to show me but in my fashion, I'm lost.
    Never giving up the struggle but very lost. :frown:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I found some useful information here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you

I came across earlier when trying to figure it out as well...
  • llpaq
    Options
    I found some useful information here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you

I came across earlier when trying to figure it out as well...

thank you if I read this a couple times I'll figure it out!! Thank ya thank ya :happy:
  • llpaq
    Options
    Rounding.

THANK YOU AGAIN! YOU'RE AWESOME! :happy: