3 meals or snacking throughout day?

Options
Anyone have an opinion on what is better for you?

3 hearty meals or snacking throughout the day? (of course staying in your calories in both scenarios)

Replies

• tsdaughe
    Options
    Honestly. I do a little of both. Some days I fast and skip breakfast then eat a bigger lunch and dinner. Other days I eat a big breakfast and fast then don't eat until dinner. Usually, when I have to work I try to spread out small meals/snacks throughout the day cause of my schedule. On my days off I usually do 2 meals a day. I say play around and find what works with you. Right now, I am in a kick of eating egg whites with tomatos, spinach and a little bit of cheese and a multi grain english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. Then don't eat again til 2:30 which is something small. Today it was a chicken patty and an orange.
  • maevestewart
    Options
    I strongly believe that its far more beneficial to have 6 smaller meals throughout the day rather than 3 larger meals. This helps to increase your metabolisim and stabolises your blood sugar levels throughout the day. I also believe that it keeps you much fuller and prevents the need to overindulge or snack on unhealthy food. While not yet fully qualified, I am studying Nutritional Science and Personal Training, this coupled with my personal experience leads me to believe this. :) Feel free to ask me anything else!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Whatever makes you happy I think. 5-6 meals makes me happy...the first 3 and last 1 are close in calorie totals and the 4th one I eat like a queen. I am a midnight snacker and later evening exerciser keeping a good chunk of my calories later helps me to not go over calories during the time that I am actually home near the fridge. At work I can keep all kinds of composure. Find what works best for you and use it.

P.s...totally agree about the blood sugar levels (they create carb binges for me so I have to be careful with balancing of carbs throughout the day)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you and helps you meet your goal is best. I snack constantly, and I know that about myself so I allot calories accordingly. Others prefer to eat less often and that's fine too.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    im a big fan of 3 meals with small snacks in between. It seems to keep me full though out the day (and also helps pass time while at work)
  • mlouise62
    mlouise62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Snacking helps me not feel hungry. I usually have 1 regular (around 500 calories) meal a day.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that its far more beneficial to have 6 smaller meals throughout the day rather than 3 larger meals. This helps to increase your metabolisim and stabolises your blood sugar levels throughout the day. I also believe that it keeps you much fuller and prevents the need to overindulge or snack on unhealthy food. While not yet fully qualified, I am studying Nutritional Science and Personal Training, this coupled with my personal experience leads me to believe this. :) Feel free to ask me anything else!

Nope.....your metabolism is not affected either way. Eat in a way that makes you consistent, feels less hungry and assures you can meet your goals. Period.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    whatever helps keep you feeling full.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter - whichever way works best for you in terms of hunger/adherence to diet. Meal timing is irrelevant and does NOT have any effect upon your metabolism. Here's some great discussion of it, along with links to articles from respected trainers and peer-reviewed scientific studies:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat.

I get higher satiation from bigger meals that leave me full, so that works better for me.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I prefer 2-3 meals and a snack if needed. I tried the 6 times a day thing and felt like I was obsessing about food ALL day long! It was miserable for me. Recent studies have proven that eating several times a day does not affect metabolism at all, in fact, in one of the studies I read, eating all of your calories in one setting had a bigger positive impact on metabolism than several small meals but even the increase wasn't enough to really make much of a difference in the long run. (I wish I had saved the links) So do what works for you and the key is just to make you put out more cals then you take in!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Both-why choose? Do whatever works for you-meaning do what works best to keep you full and have enough energy when you need it-that's what will help you stay on track. If that means grazing all day-do that. If it means eating one ginormous meal a day-do that. The "best" method is the one you can stick to-which means it fits your preferences, lifestyle and so forth.
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Small meals works for me. I have a small child who eats snacks throughout the day, so it works for her, too.

We wake up, have breakfast 1, something small like yogurt or fruit and a piece of toast. Breakfast 2 is more substatial, usually eggs, quinoa, spinach and cheese scramble, or something similar. Lunch is typically previous nights dinner. Afternoon snack of fruits, cheese, nut spreads, vegetables, etc. Dinner, some protein, carbs and veg. Evening snack of fruit, yogurt, dark chocolate, this is like dessert for me. :) It sounds like tons of food, but it's really not because we eat so regularly that we aren't starving when we eat, which allows me to eat "normal" amounts.

This works for us because I don't do well if my blood sugar dips, I get moody and will binge eat, so small meals on a regular basis keep me happy. :laugh:
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I'm hungry. Om nom nom.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    False. You have it backwards.

"Dietary restriction has been shown to have several health benefits including increased insulin sensitivity, stress resistance, reduced morbidity, and increased life span. The mechanism remains unknown, but the need for a long-term reduction in caloric intake to achieve these benefits has been assumed. We report that when C57BL/6 mice are maintained on an intermittent fasting (alternate-day fasting) dietary-restriction regimen their overall food intake is not decreased and their body weight is maintained. Nevertheless, intermittent fasting resulted in beneficial effects that met or exceeded those of caloric restriction including reduced serum glucose and insulin levels and increased resistance of neurons in the brain to excitotoxic stress. Intermittent fasting therefore has beneficial effects on glucose regulation and neuronal resistance to injury in these mice that are independent of caloric intake."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc156352/
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Does not matter, as long as you hit your macros. Whether that is with 2 meals or 8.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have a mean green, hard boiled egg, coffee for breakfast at 7:30. At 10:30 I have some almonds. 1:00 I have my lunch 3:30 I have a snack, and at 6:00 I have a light/healthy dinner. You can do both.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm like clockwork.

Breakfast - 8:20
    Snack - 10:10
    Lunch - 12;05
    Snack - 3:10
    Dinner - Ok, that varies. Usually about 5:30.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both depending on how I feel