non-whey protein powders

Options
I was hoping some of you may be able to help me... I would like to up my protein intake in the form of shakes, I am lactose intollerant and the experiment on myself using conventional whey based protein mixes did not go well!

I am intending in getting a blender so i can make my own shakes and smoothies and the like, if any of you have any suggestions for a dairy free alternative then i would love to hear them.

Do some taste better than others?

any suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated

many thanks
Chrissy :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like Vega.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant too. Whey protein isolate has the lactose removed, so if you can find that you're golden.

I just bought my first whey protein powder today, and it doesn't seem to be whey protein isolate. I will test it tonight and will report back to you.

As you know, I am assuming an enormous risk by performing this experiment. :ohwell:
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I will look into that, thank you
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Spirutein, but I'm not sure if it has lactose. Chocolate and Cherries Jubilee are both really good.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using GNC Pro Performance 100% soy protein isolate. It has 130 cal and 25 g protein per scoop.
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant too. Whey protein isolate has the lactose removed, so if you can find that you're golden.

I just bought my first whey protein powder today, and it doesn't seem to be whey protein isolate. I will test it tonight and will report back to you.

As you know, I am assuming an enormous risk by performing this experiment. :ohwell:

I hope you fare better than i did and wish you lots of luck. Please let us know how you get on with it all,
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    Spirutein, but I'm not sure if it has lactose. Chocolate and Cherries Jubilee are both really good.

I will also investigate this, thanks for the suggestion.
  • kristanb05
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant too and have been ok with Muscle Milk. I just ordered some Isopure Zero Carb today and that has Whey Protein Isolate. It won't be delivered to me for a couple of weeks, but I found it was cheaper on Amazon so I'll wait it out. I'll update you when I try it out!
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    I'm currently using GNC Pro Performance 100% soy protein isolate. It has 130 cal and 25 g protein per scoop.

Thankyou, that's really helpful
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    Please do keep us updated, I am very interested to hear your results.
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant too and have been ok with Muscle Milk. I just ordered some Isopure Zero Carb today and that has Whey Protein Isolate. It won't be delivered to me for a couple of weeks, but I found it was cheaper on Amazon so I'll wait it out. I'll update you when I try it out!

Please do keep us updated, I am very interested to hear your results!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein, pea protein, or any other vegan protein. They taste find if mixed with tasty fruits and veggies.
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    thank you for the suggestions, there seems to be a mountain of varieties to look into :smile:
  • avakathryn
    Options
    I am incredibly lactose intolerant, and I find the whey protein isolate to be fine for me as well. Normal whey will give me a belly ache like no tomorrow, but the isolate works really well for me. I use the Kazein brand Whey protein isolate. Comes in three flavours (vanilla ice cream, decadent chocolate, strawberry banana) 150 cals and 35g protein per scoop and they are YUMMY. :-)
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    There are a number of non dairy protein powders... soy, egg, beef and more. I still get gas from whey isolate, so even though it supposedly has the lactose removed, I think there is some remaining.

The only issue is that it cost a bundle to eventually find the one you like.
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    avakathryn: may look into those options thankyou

fletchero: I know it's probably going to cost me a bomb until i fond the right one, will be happy with one that does not make me ill really.

thanks everyone for all the input, you've given me loads of options that i will consider.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    that mean no casein either? if so there is rice, hemp, pea. I would not use soy myself...

There are probably cheaper places to get it, but you can google Dales Raw Foods
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    full of win: to be honest, i don't really know whether i could manage that or not... the whey made me ill after 2 days and the intollerance is a fariy new thing that i am still figuring out my limits. bit of a pain as i am also egg and wheat intollerant so i still eat some of all of the stuff i am not really meant to but a lot less
  • polly11olson
    Options
    Go to BiproUSA.com

Tons of recipes -easy to add to your foods like yogurt or oatmeal
    Stir in to your fav beverage
    Unflavored

Best lactose-free all removed
    Whey protein isolate

No carbs
    No sugar
    No fillers
    No flavors
    No sweeteners
    No artificial colors

Send me an email with address and I will send you free samples!
    I bought a bulk box of 300 packets and I will share them.
    Olsonpolly@gmail.com

I buy on amazon!
  • ChrissyC1985
    Options
    thanks for that, that's very generous of you. I am based in the UK though.