Too much water?

Options
So today I am on Liter 2 of water I drank 7 liters yesterday. It seems like the more I drink the thirstier I feel and now its like a competition with my self to see how many I can drink. How much do you drink daily? Is it a bad thing to drink this much water, a good thing? I just quit soda cold turkey Sunday so it must be better than drinking soda

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I usually drink like 6 or more liters of water a day and haven't experienced any problems other than needing to pee way too fekkin much.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    as long as your water consumption is spread out over the day, you're fine! the hazard happens when you chug large amounts of water, faster than your body can process it. I drink a ton of water too - and haven't experienced any problems.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 liters a day... 7 is beyond me. I hit about a gallon a day not including tea and such...
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't drinking more than like 1 litre in 10 minutes you are fine.

You can actually die from too much water... too much water can have a negative effect on your body. I believe it is if you drink more than 1 litre in 10-20 minutes.

Lots of water is great but you don't need that much unless you live in a very hot area and sweat a lot.
  • roberthickis
    roberthickis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As long as your pee is clear you should be hydrated sufficiently. Almost 2 gallons of water is a nice haul in a day.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm not sure how much is to much, but years ago my doctor told me you can drink to much water. If I remember correctly, she said you can wash out your electrolytes. You might want to check with your doctor.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    the only thing i hear about drinking too much water is your electrolytes get depleted and water intoxication.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    You can drink too much water -- it takes a *lot* to get it done, but you can wash out the sodium your body needs to live. I have actually seen someone do just that (luckily it was caught in time)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001431/
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Gee I thought my 2 liters ws great.

Wow 7 a day hmmmmm
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You can drink too much water -- it takes a *lot* to get it done, but you can wash out the sodium your body needs to live. I have actually seen someone do just that (luckily it was caught in time)

someone died a few months ago after winning a "water drinking contest." I think they won an iPad or something for winning the contest.

but they died.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of water. I drink about 2 liters a day, I can't imagine 7.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ...but they won.

so there's that.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

someone died a few months ago after winning a "water drinking contest." I think they won an iPad or something for winning the contest.

but they died.

You know, now that you say this, I remember that story. That was so sad!

The person I knew was someone who'd been through a screening for one of my studies. His levels came back really low and the MD hospitalized him to make sure the levels were coming back up and only due to drinking too much water (and not other causes). Luckily, my patient recovered.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I feel that I use the bathroom like every 20 minutes haha
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    ...but they won.

so there's that.

^^ lol

I drink 5-7 litres a day...... Still kickin!
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I am in Las Vegas which is probably why I am always so thirsty!!! But I would say I average about a Liter every 2-3 hours not a gallon thats to much. I usually dont hit 7 until I go to the gym and after that I try to draw back a bit so I am not in the bathroom all night long
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I will make sure to try and keep it at 7 or less liters but I think because of the Vegas heat that is why I am so thirsty, or maybe its because I am 4 days into my diet and exercise so my body is trying to replace the food void with water
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Quick google search shows that "the kidneys of a healthy adult can process up to 15 liters of water a day", but it also notes that a lot of the water comes from your food and that's if it's spread evenly throughout the day. DON'T TRY AND CHUG THAT MUCH! lol

Anyway, for those of you who drink 7L a day, you should be good. I'm in awe, I struggle (A LOT) to get my 8 glasses!
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    Mizzie1980- I struggled to get in a glass never mind 8 you know what made it easier. I bought a 1 liter bottle of disani water for $1 and I have just been refilling it over and over again. When I feel like I cant drink another bottle I put some ice tea or green tea flavoring in it and it suddenly is alot easier!
    Quick google search shows that "the kidneys of a healthy adult can process up to 15 liters of water a day", but it also notes that a lot of the water comes from your food and that's if it's spread evenly throughout the day. DON'T TRY AND CHUG THAT MUCH! lol

Anyway, for those of you who drink 7L a day, you should be good. I'm in awe, I struggle (A LOT) to get my 8 glasses!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I will make sure to try and keep it at 7 or less liters but I think because of the Vegas heat that is why I am so thirsty, or maybe its because I am 4 days into my diet and exercise so my body is trying to replace the food void with water

Living in Vegas explains needing to drink more... lol... Ensure you check with a Doctor if you find drinking that much water doesn't quench your thirst as that can be a sign of medical problems.