What do you track?

Options
ka_42
ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
Fats, Saturated fat, Trans fat, Cholesterol, Sugar, Sodium... ?!

What kinds of fats are the most important to monitor?

Thanks for your input! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ka_42
    Options
    Sorry guys- bumping my own topic! I'm really curious for some answers. :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, Trans fat is bad - it's man-made and your body cannot process it properly. Mono fat is the best, poly the next. Sat fat I believe is also not good. I just track combined fat, but I do look at lables when buying food to make sure I don't get trans and more mono than poly fats. I also track carbs, iron (I've been told I couldn't give blood before because I didn't have enough), sodium (huge factor in water retention i.e. "weight" gain), and protein.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I mainly track fats...
    Starting this week, I'm tracking sodium

I try & track my kids, but they're a little too fast for me......!
  • MonicaD
    MonicaD Posts: 5
    Options
    I track fat, sat fat, carbs, sodium, and cholesterol. Trans fat is the worst but I don't usually eat foods with it so I don't bother tracking it. Sat fat is another bad fat. Sodium is also important to track because it's everywhere - especially in pre-packaged stuff - and high sodium is linked to high blood pressure. The American guideline sets the limit at 2500 mg/day and Canadian limit is 1500 mg/day so I try to stay within the Canadian limit. I'm obsessive about seeing all my numbers stay in the green so if my calories & carbs are too high, I exercise to bring them back to green. I can't imagine living without this website - I'm addicted now! Good luck with your weight loss.

Monica :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I track the macronutrients (carb, fat, protein), sodium and fiber. I eat about 30% of my calories from fat, but it is typically just the oil I put on my salad (olive or sesame) or nuts/nut butter, so my saturated fat intake is quite low as is my trans fat intake. I'm not too worried about it. I like to make sure I am getting over 25 grams of fiber (motivation to eat veggies) and keeping the sodium lower than 2500 mg.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I won't eat anything (knowingly) that has trans fat in it so I don't bother tracking it. On my diary, I keep track of calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, and sodium.
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    I track Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein, Fiber, Cholesterol and Sodium.
  • ka_42
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just the answers I was hoping for!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I won't eat anything (knowingly) that has trans fat in it so I don't bother tracking it. On my diary, I keep track of calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, and sodium.

Same for me :)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses but i ONLY track cals and have no trouble loosing weight
    Of course I try to make healthy choices but treat myself now and then to come low-fat/cak ice-cream or sugar free puddings etc

kim
  • kdm9295
    kdm9295 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just added Calcium. Osteoporosis runs in my family, and I know I don't get enough calcium. This is a good way for me to see just how far off I am.
  • corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    I track calories, carbs, fiber, and protein. I just started tracking sugar as well. Diabetes runs in my family.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Sodium and Fiber.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Fats, Saturated fat, Trans fat, Cholesterol, Sugar, Sodium... ?!

What kinds of fats are the most important to monitor?

Thanks for your input! :flowerforyou:

Calories (of Course) Then I try to watch my carbs, protein, and fiber.

P.S. Can you educate me on the bumping thing??? I don't know what it means or does?
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    when someone posts to a topic, it "bumps" it to the top of the most recent forum posts, and sometimes can make a stale topic get some more information. Also lets people know the original question hasn't been answered. All you gotta do is post! (in fact, your post made the topic come up to the home page when I logged in, so I jumped in).
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't use the counter's on this site, Cuz I find it time consuming, as I cook or prepare food, I yell out the following to my man and he jots it down

Fat (In G's)
    Calories
    Sugar

That's it ... Sugar is KILLER, we honestly use that as our #1 lable hunting thing when we grocery shop.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I should also Ad, since we started reading lables april 1st ... And stopped eating crazy sugar (mostly found in condiments etc) I've lost 3 lbs, and he's lost 9 ! (how the heck do men lose weight so fast?!)

Just that small change
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    I track calories, of course, along with sodium and fibre.
    I was getting too much sodium and too little fibre in my diet, so wanted to keep an eye on them.

Not bothered about the other things.