Treadmill

Options
I am looking to buy a treadmill for my home. I have limited funds, and I need some advice on whether I should get a brand new treadmill that retails in the $250 range, or should I buy a used, better brand, in the same price range, but was originally much more expensive? Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    from my experience if you are on the larger side and are planning on using the treadmill a lot it is worth finding one that has the shock absorber frame, (much easier on knees and joints) which typically goes with the higher dollar range for new. so a higher quality used one may be good. if you are just going to be using it for walking speed then you may not need the shock absorbers, but if you plan on running it is the way to go.

Craigs list has lots of treadmills for sale all the time, may be one option to check.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Whichever one works and has the features you want...

If you decide on a used one, make sure to test it to see it works properly first.
  • jamimiller5
    jamimiller5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was looking at Craigslist and had a few that I was looking at. I appreciate the advice on the shock absorbers...I do want to run on it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I owned a treadmill before, and one of the features I wanted was a wider belt so I didn't feel cramped on it.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you buy, research the hell out of it. many have weight restrictions, some are narrow, some are short, some have very few functions... decide what you are looking for then find one that fits your expectations. I did that and found an older treadmill on craigslist that has served me well :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    When I was looking to buy a treadmill last year I looked at the cheaper ones but then decided that if I was going to get one, I wanted quality. If you are just starting working out, if you can't find a high end one for your price range, I say skip the treadmill for now and invest in some other workout tools. Maybe try the walk away the pounds DVDs or if you have a Wii, some of the workout stuff for that or any number of DVDs. I only say this because I remember walking on a very crappy old treadmill and it was very discouraging - I felt like I was going to break it, and I wasn't even as heavy as I am now. I had no confidence on it and I had no want to use it. You can also get a decent bike for the $250 price range if you can't find a good used treadmill.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can get a bit more money to buy your treadmill?

Treadmills that are that cheap new are going to be crap ones. I looked at some within my budget a while back and there was none that fit that weren't very cheaply made. You get what you pay for. You can buy a used one but make sure it's reputable and you can check it out first. For that price you may get a bit better of one than getting new but you want to ensure you check it out and test it before handing over the money to some random person selling one online. For electronics I would rather pay more money and buy one from a store where you get a return policy from the store as well as the warrenty.

Treadmills have weight limits on them. When I was looking I found one that fit my budget but upon researching it I discovered it was mainly made of plastic which got terrible reviews if you wanted to run.

What about either taking that money to get a diferent piece of equipment or using the money to go to a gym? The gym would be the best option as they have a variety of things there and you can use cario and weights for the one price. Or buy a few workout DVDs to last you for the time being and save some more money for a good treadmill? You want to invest in a good piece of equipment that will last you a long time.

A good quality machine will last a very long time.
  • bids55
    bids55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did a lot or reasearch before purchasing mine.Go with good motor(based on weight and what you are going to use this for ...running versus walking), multiple inclines and speeds and check what you are going to buy on internet under customer reviews.Skip the bells and whistles (fan, speakers for music etc) and if buying used don't be afraid to barter. These people aren't using and just want to get rid of them for the most part. There is always a bunch of these available. Buy the best one you can for the money. I use mine 7 days a week , paid for a good machine and I don't regret it. A lot o cheap crap out there.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Get the treadmill with the best shock absorbers you can possible afford. Your knees will thank you later. Also, make sure that you can try it our before buying. I thought I knew what I was going to but when I went into the store but once I walked on it I changed my mind very quickly.
  • COantfarm
    COantfarm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just join a gym. They have $5000+ treadmills that will kick anything you can possibly hope to find/buy. There's lots of gyms where $250 is a good nine months of membership fees. Plus, its where they keep the man-meat to ogle.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just bought a treadmill off of Craig's list. It was a Sole 63. I got lucky, it was a $1000.00 treadmill I got for $270.00. I love it.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Another place to look at would be 'Play It Again Sports' if you have one in your area. You can search on their website for the closest one to you.

They buy and sell used sports equipment of all kinds. They do sell new things too, but by in large it's used I think. If you have a couple in your area it's worth checking the different stores since a lot of their stock is what people bring to that specific store. If the one your at has an ok deal, the one down the road might have a better one.