Meals / Snack to eat on the go

Options
So I go to school ,and I don't get home until like 3 in the afternoon , and for the past 2 year's I haven't been eating until I get home . This is not done for any reason besides the fact that I don't have time . But since I'm trying to be healthier I want to start eating more in the morning and less in the afternoon .
So what are some meals that I can eat on the go or able to take on the go since I have a bit of time between classes I can eat , because the campus does not have a cafeteria just vending machines filled with junk food.

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you have a crock pot get it out and start using it for evening meals. Try a website called Skinny Taste and you will find some amazing recipes. As for lunch, I work weird hours so I have started fixing myself sandwiches when I know I wont be home. I love the Sandwich Thins along with some of the thin sliced lean meats and some Kraft 2% cheese. Take along some fresh fruit.

As for breakfast, you can try the bagel thins and some light cream cheese or microwavable oatmeal. You could also take some time in the evening to fix yourself a breakfast that you can just pop in the microwave in the morning.

Hope some of this helps
  • freeofweight
    Options
    I like yogurt and granola bars. packs of crackers are also good. if you can get a container veggie trays are cool. I also like to pack lunches like sandwiches.
  • Cocooma
    Cocooma Posts: 13
    Options
    I just looked in my purse - I never leave home without a Quaker Oats Chewy Granola Bar and a bag of trail mix.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    More recently I have been making smoothies. It's not something everybody likes though; definitely a quick and portable meal though. This morning I made this smoothie. http://primalsmoothies.com/almond-avocado/
    I found it to be a bit bitter though because my avocado wasn't sweet so I added a little splenda. It really depends on your ideal eating habits.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Take soup with you in a thermos, it's yummy and comforting in winter.
  • sioannone
    sioannone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try GoBites. Delivered organic snacks in a variety of mixes and nutritional count - GoBites.com
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My husband never used to eat in the morning because he didn't have time, or whatever. :) So I started making big batches of breakfast burritos, whatever fillings you like, whatever tortillas you like, roll them up, wrap in saran wrap, freeze and stick in a big freezer zip lock bag. It's so quick to microwave in the morning while you are getting ready and if you don't have time to eat it, well.. it's portable. Plus, if you are like us and fill them with protein, you will stay satiated for quite a while.
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like the Quaker Popped rice snacks that are carmel corn. i put the serving size in a baggy and keep it with me when I'm out and about. I alson do teh same thing with apple slices and baby carrots. For meals I'll make a salad in a bigger tupperware container then put the dressing in one of the little containers in the with the salad so I can still have it on the side when I go to eat.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Healthy protein bars
    Homemade trail mix
    Raisins
    Baby carrots
    Protein shakes (you can get water anywhere, all you need is a shaker bottle)
    Apples
    Oranges
    Hazelnuts
    Brown rice and black beans
    Turkey slices

I make anything a snack though. It's all about the portion and the nutrition factor.

Brittany
  • connie45bu
    connie45bu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One thing I've recently been LOVING for breakfast (or lunch even!) is a chocolate, peanut butter, banana smoothie! It's actually good for you and tastes soooooo good!

I use 1 cup of Silk PureAlmond Dark Chocolate milk, 1 (or 1/2) banana, and 1 tsp of melted peanut butter. I just blend it until it's really smooth and it doesn't take longer than 5 minutes to make!
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work three days a week from 8am-5pm (or later) with a looong commute (1.5 hours each way), and then I hit the gym when I get home, so in order to eat healthily, I rely on bringing enough good food to keep me full all day. Here are some of my strategies and go-to's:

-simple but nutritious breakfast that I can prepare and eat quickly or eat without mess in the car. I tend to eat whole-wheat waffles + peanut butter and fruit, simple fried egg and cheese on an english muffin with fruit, or oatmeal with almonds and dried cranberries that I microwave with milk...1.5 minutes and you are good to go! I also make a batch of muffins once every couple of months and freeze them individually wrapped...then if I am really pressed for time I throw one in the microwave for 30 seconds, grab a string cheese and a piece of fruit and I am out the door.

-I always pack a lunch of simple stuff that keeps well. Pack it the night before and just throw it in a bag in the morning. I almost always eat a sandwich or a salad with chicken or tuna, cut-up raw veggies, fruit and yogurt. If you cook healthy dinners at night and have access to a microwave during the day, make extra and bring as leftovers...I especially like to do this with soups.

-always pack snacks! I keep something in my office, bag and car at all times. I like plain nuts, low-sugar high-protein granola bars, fruit (fresh and dried), raw veggies, string cheese, peanut butter crackers, a little something sweet for the afternoon when I need a little sugar jolt with my coffee ;)

Hope some of these ideas work for you!
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Try GoBites. Delivered organic snacks in a variety of mixes and nutritional count - GoBites.com

I just saw this ad banner and ordered. I like that they don't add sugar to the dried fruit snacks, as so many do.