School Lunches the cause for Childhood obesity...

Options
Great Article! I hope changes are made!
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1506/military-leaders-want-revamp-school-lunch-improve-recruits-health.html

Military Wants To Revamp of School Lunch
Submitted by Denise Reynolds RD on 2010, April 20 - 12:50
All about:

* Obesity Cause and Help

A group of retired military officers have asked for the reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act to improve school lunches and other food offerings to schoolchildren in an effort to reverse the trend of childhood obesity which, they say, will ultimately affect national security.

The group, called Mission: Readiness, Military Leaders for Kids, have issued a new report called “Too Fat to Fight”, in which they state that more than 9 million young adults, or 17% of all Americans ages 17 to 24, are too overweight to join the military. They emphasizes that today, obesity is one of several factors that keeps about 75% of young men and women from qualifying to enter the armed services.

Retired Navy Rear Adm James Barnett Jr notes that national security in the year 2030 is “absolutely dependent” on reversing child obesity rates.

Generals John M. Shalikashvili and Henry H. Shelton say on their website, "As Former Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, it’s clear to us that our military readiness could be put in jeopardy given the fact that nearly 75 percent of young Americans are unable to serve in uniform. We joined Mission: Readiness because we believe that investing in our children through early education is not a Republican issue or Democratic issue. It’s a plain common sense issue critical to our National Security".

Weight problems have worsened over the past 15 years, and are now the leading medical reason that recruits are rejected. Since 1995, the group says, the proportion of recruits who fail their physical exams because they were overweight has risen by nearly 70%. Once admitted to service, the problem doesn’t end. Each year, the military discharges over 1,200 first-term enlistees before their contracts are up because of weight problem, causing the government to spend tens of millions of dollars to train replacements.

Because 31 million children eat lunch at school each day, and 11 million eat breakfast, kids consume about 30 to 50% of their daily calories in a school setting. The group says that one of the first steps toward fighting childhood obesity is to push through the reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act, currently awaiting Senate vote, in an effort to establish healthier options for schools in all foods. The legislation would spend an additional $4.5 billion over the course of the next 10 years for school nutrition programs.

The group also calls on Congress to take “immediate steps to remove junk food, vending machines, and any remaining high-calorie beverages from the schools, (as) these products are major contributors to childhood obesity.” They also encourage school-based programs that enlist parents in helping their children adopt life-long changes in eating and exercise habits.

The military has been instrumental in the past on issues of child nutrition and school lunch. During World War II, 40% of recruits were rejected for stunted growth and inadequate nutrition. In 1946, General Lewis Hershey, the military’s Selective Service Director, and other military leaders convinced Congress to establish the National School Lunch Act, so that children would grow up healthier.

Mission: Readiness will appear today on Capitol Hill with Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to present their report.

Replies

• ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    I think this is a great thing to do. Our school system last year firedthe food service that it had had for over 10 years and hired a group that uses all natural, local ingredients and makes all their own foods.
    However, 1 meal a day at school is not the reason for obesity....the other meals, the snacks and the lack of exercise (recess in schools) is the reason for obesity.
    One step at a time... I know.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to blame the school lunch when the same kids are going out for 'fast-food" for diner. I see a bigger problem w/ these overweight children just not getting any exercise. For a lot of these kids the school lunch is probably the healthiest meal they get all week. I hate to point fingers but mine go towards parents.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to open a can of worms with this one, but I think that parenting has a great deal to do with it. And yes I have kids. I now have the lowest bmi of all the adults in my immediate family, so obesity is a common theme. I'm not going to blame my parents for my problems with my weight. But I will take responsibility for teaching my children healthy habits, and also to teach them to make healthy choices.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    However, 1 meal a day at school is not the reason for obesity....the other meals, the snacks and the lack of exercise (recess in schools) is the reason for obesity.

My sentiments exactly.
    If they want to place the blame of obesity on school lunch, then I really think funding would be put to better use for better nutrition and fitness education in schools. Then students can make healthier decisions at lunch. And at breakfast. And dinner. And for snacks. And on the weekends.

I also found it funny that they said kids eat 30-50% of their calories at school. Because, the thing is that the school year is only 9 months long. So, even if lunch did count for 30% of someone's calories (I don't know about you guys, but mine certainly does NOT), it would be 30% x 75% of the year and that equals 22.5%. :indifferent:
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I guess you guys in America have the Jamie Oliver craze at the moment! I think he is wonderful. He has done a hell of a lot of good for the children of the UK in helping to revolutionise school lunch menus.

However, I dont think childhood obesity can be solely because of school dinners. When I was young we ate pizza and chips almost every day at school and the problem wasnt anywhere near as widespread then. Childhood obesity occurs, in my unqualified opinion, because of lazy parenting and a lack of education (a lot of parents are lazy because they do not understand the relevance or importance of healthy eating and exercise).

Of course, I think restaurants and fast food joints in America needs to reduce portion size too, because then that would reverberate into portions served at home eventually.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great thing to do. Our school system last year firedthe food service that it had had for over 10 years and hired a group that uses all natural, local ingredients and makes all their own foods.
    One step at a time... I know.

I agree, childhood obesity is not a result of just school lunches. It's what their parents allow them to eat at home as well, and the fact that schools are cutting out more and more recess time, parents are not making their kids walk to school (reasonable distances) and most kids sit around on facebook and playing video games rather than getting exercise.

When I was a kid it was unheard of to drink anything but milk at the dinner table, McDonalds was a RARE thing, like maybe a few times a year, we were not only expected to but wanted to play outside after school and since elementary school and junior high was well within walking distance, we only got driven when it was raining.

But yeah, offering more healthy options and taking out pop machines is not a bad thing at all. I just hope parents realize they need to kick their kids off the computer more often and get them outside to play.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I remember in Elementary school, all we wanted to do was run around during recess and lunch. But it wasn't "safe" and we were told to walk. In the second grade we were "too old" for the jungle gym. And in the third grade we were no longer allowed on the monkey bars.

Then all of a sudden we are given fit tests in the 6th grade that involved running and pullups ... all things that would have been a lot easier if we were just allowed to play!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    As for the school lunches (yes they need to be improved) but most schools are also now serving breakfast as well (and some do afternoon snacks)...that's three 'meals' a day at school. While the parents need to provide good nutritious foods at home (most likely this doesn't happen) the school is responsible for kids between the hours of usually 7:30-3:00 (that's a long time with no activity). Most schools have cut recess and some are doing away with gym class. In high school we were required to have PE/Health for 1 semester our Freshman year and that was it for gym for 4 years). My local elementry and middle schools have cut recess in half and PE is only done 3 days a week. It's up to us parents to make it known what we approve of in our schools. My daughter is in a private school because I approve of the lunches and the outdoor time. I wouldn't put her in public school ever...I'd homeschool if I didn't have any other options.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to blame the school lunch when the same kids are going out for 'fast-food" for diner. I see a bigger problem w/ these overweight children just not getting any exercise. For a lot of these kids the school lunch is probably the healthiest meal they get all week. I hate to point fingers but mine go towards parents.

I agree it is the parent not the school. I never ate lunch at a school cafeteria, my parents always packed my lunch and was pretty balanced. Much better than what the schools offered and I never had a weight problem.
  • AProkop
    AProkop Posts: 7
    Options
    I feel that school meals should be changed and revamped. It isn't just the food that needs to change though. It is the attitude of the kids. Over-eating is a learned behavior from the time the children start eating table food. It can take a child up to 12 times of having an item before they decide if they like it or not. From my experience a lot of parents try foods and says the child doesn't like a certain item and won't serve them it anymore. Parents teach children how to eat and what choices to make. It really can't be blamed on schools and what they have to offer, but if the schools had healthier items it at least offers the children to make healthier food choices.

I work in child nutrition for pre-school. I plan meals and activities around food for children 1-5 years old. There are requirements that we have to follow for the foods we serve. It has to be a balanced meal low in fat, salt and sugar. We as adults are there to model and to help the children learn how to make more nutritious choices. Unfortunately, at my program, we only have the kids for 3 hours each day, 4 days a week. There isn't much revolutionizing one can do in that time period.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

I agree it is the parent not the school. I never ate lunch at a school cafeteria, my parents always packed my lunch and was pretty balanced. Much better than what the schools offered and I never had a weight problem.

Through all of this school lunch talk and Jamie Oliver, I keep coming back to parents packing lunches. That would be the best bet.

I do agree with everyone that parents need to make changes, for nutrition and a whole lot else, for the well being of their children. However, the point of this whole thing is good. Making school lunches healthier may not be the total answer, but it helps. It can't hurt to offer children healthy lunches during the day. I know there are kids who get free lunches, who wouldn't otherwise get a lunch, that would totally benefit from this.
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm blaming all of this on the video games. When I was a kid I loved video games...for maybe an hour or two on the weekend, when it was raining and I couldn't play outside. Other than that...I was outside any chance I could get. I remember being called in for dinner, cleaning my plate in 3.2 seconds so that I could get outside as fast as possible before the sun went down and I had to come home. Kids aren't like that anymore. They cry when their parents tell them to go outside and play. Are you guys aware that schools are starting to have to include social behaviors in their curriculum for 9 year olds now, they literally need to teach 9 year old kids how to play with each other because they dont know. They are so glued to technology that they are unable to make social connections with real human beings. Something has to be done about the lack of exercise. I used to eat like a hog when I was a kid, but I was running around so much that it didn't matter. Now of course my eating habits and slowing metabolism have caught up to me, but back in the day...not a problem. KIDS NEED TO GET ACTIVE! PARENTS NEED TO TAKE ACTION TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    As I do agree that the parents have the final say when it comes to what the kids eat, not all kids have parents who can afford to send them to school with healthy lunches and feed them nutritious breakfasts. Most kids in the Las Vegas area (depending on zoning) are on free and reduced lunch. Often these kids only eat what is given to them at school. At the school where I work, kids are offered yogurt, cereal, cinnamon rolls, doughnuts and "breakfast cookies" for breakfast. There are rarely any kids who choose the yogurt or cereal. Lunch has changed a bit but I would still not call it nutritious. Kids still get chicken nuggets but they are baked, yet still processed. Kids still get french fries but now those are baked as well.

Most of these kids go home and eat high fat low cost meals. They have tough lives. I think if the schools took the time to give better, healthier choices to the kids and tried educating them that influence might follow them home.

I would also agree that parents are lazy. It is so much easier to plop kids in front of a video game or a TV rather than take them to the park or put them into sports and spend your Saturdays on fields watching them play. Many parents work more than 1 job and probably are exhausted and don't realize the impact they have on their kids when they use electronics as a babysitter.

Parents do need to get their kids more involved in extra curricular ACTIVE activities. Parents do need to be more involved in choosing what their kids eat at school and at home. Part of the problem is, most of these parents grew up eating just as poorly and it's their way of life. Luckily I wasn't allowed to eat the school lunches, I was not allowed to eat fast food, I was not allowed to drink soda or juice (unless dilluted) and I was not allowed to have dessert until I ate all of my veggies (I thought that was the silliest rule--LOL). At dinner all we could drink was water. The ONLY time we had fast food was after soccer games with the team (which is kind of strange if you think about it.... take a bunch of kids who worked their butts off and fill them up with garbage food) and on road trips. And even then my parents were particular. We were allowed pizza, chips/crackers and desserts, but for special occasions and cereal was not allowed to be sugary. We had to have whole grain cereal (which now as an adult, I have learned they aren't that much better for you).

Funny thing is, I think about all of that and My mom is about 100 lbs over weight and eats horrible (loves fast food) and sometimes questions where I got the drive to eat well. Uh.... Hmmmm..... "from you and dad!" They taught me the basics and as an adult I'm taking it a step further and eliminating the processed foods that they let us have at home.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that school lunches are not very nutritionally sound, I don't think they are the sole cause of childhood obesity. The problem is, in my opinion, very complex for adults and children. As a society we are entirely too sedentary, there is an over-abundance of readily available food (most of it nutritionally empty) and very few people really understand sound nutrition. I know scores of parents who don't have a clue how to cook. I've met kids who've never had a home cooked meal much less a whole vegetable. It's a shame when a "home cooked" meal is microwave lasagna and store bought garlic bread. There are families who've NEVER made a salad. Restaurants generally don't offer much in the way of veggies, because people don't eat them.

And, rather we want to admit it or not, we use the "I'm too busy" crutch entirely too much. Our society has developed an "instant gratification" culture, that includes fast food and miracle diet pills.

But, at least going after better school lunches is a positive step in the right direction.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm blaming all of this on the video games. When I was a kid I loved video games...for maybe an hour or two on the weekend, when it was raining and I couldn't play outside. Other than that...I was outside any chance I could get. I remember being called in for dinner, cleaning my plate in 3.2 seconds so that I could get outside as fast as possible before the sun went down and I had to come home. Kids aren't like that anymore. They cry when their parents tell them to go outside and play. Are you guys aware that schools are starting to have to include social behaviors in their curriculum for 9 year olds now, they literally need to teach 9 year old kids how to play with each other because they dont know. They are so glued to technology that they are unable to make social connections with real human beings. Something has to be done about the lack of exercise. I used to eat like a hog when I was a kid, but I was running around so much that it didn't matter. Now of course my eating habits and slowing metabolism have caught up to me, but back in the day...not a problem. KIDS NEED TO GET ACTIVE! PARENTS NEED TO TAKE ACTION TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Yep, the internet, TV and games have seriously contributed to the obesity epedimic.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I agree that much of the blame should go to the parents. However, I also agree that school lunches are majority of the problem in many cases.

Obesity rates tend to be higher in low income areas. These are the kids that are eating breakfast and lunch at school and snacks at latchkey or day care. I can actually count on both hands some children who rely on those foods for all of their nutrition because there is no money for dinner in many of these families. I have been there myself. Telling my daughter to fill up and don't pass on the free stuff at school cuz we won't have dinner tonight. You can go to a food bank and you get the same low quality foods, so these people are just out of luck for the most part. Especially if they are in the city with no car. This means they can find a fast food place by foot instead of an actual grocery store. (Detroit has no chain grocery stores at all, just the cheapy places where you get proccessed foods) Or they have to budget food stamps at the corner liquor store. Ever check out the food at your local liquor store?

That being said, this article was in direct reference to the fact that the military has to turn people away because they are obese. Who is the most likely to head to the recruiters office in their senior year? The kids in the low income areas who can't get into or afford college. Or they need a quick solution to provide for their family. I grew up in the burbs and hung out in the city. Of all the different people I have known, the ones who joined the military were more likely to come from the city. My suburban friends all went to college to avoid the military...... Or they got into acedemic trouble, legal trouble, drug problems, or baby mamma drama and off they went. In my class of 400, only 3 joined the military by choice. 1 joined to kick a drug addiction and make himself look better 7 years after he dropped out.

I'm not saying that this removes parent responsibility from the low income areas. (And I'm not saying that suburban kids don't join the military. Just that recruits are more likely to come from the lower-class) But you can't look at all classes, demographics, or situations the same way. Its a completely different way of life. When you have to work 2,3, or 4 jobs, you're happy that your kid has anything to eat at all. You can't be picky when you can't afford to support your own family. You don't have time to worry about going to the park or taking a walk. Especially when the local park has been overtaken by gangs, drug dealers and prostitutes. And your street is not even safe enough to sit on the porch and watch your kids play on the lawn. You have to be greatful that the fact that, after you don't have any money left after you pay the rent and utilities, that your kid has a place to be that is free and they feed him/her. As hard as it is for most people to hear, the things we find important just complicate things for others.

I'm currently trying to get a Blessings in a Backpack program here in my community. I'm in an area where people used to be considered middle to upper class. The free lunch program was non-existant around here. Today more than half of the district relys on free lunch. Many of those families don't have enough food to feed their families over the weekend. The kids get chicken nuggets, pizza, burgers, etc. They have a salad bar, but the kids take the pudding and jello before they will touch the real food. Most of the foods served are unrecognisable. And every meal comes with chocolate milk and a "treat". Breakfast is bagels, pop tarts, doughnuts, cereal, and cereal bars. Snacks are crackers, cookies, or leftover cereal.

I think we all tend to look at the world through our own eyes. Its easier to look at someone and pick out the faults that you think are the cause of their problem. You really don't know unless you have been there; that certain things we take for granted, no matter how neccessary to "our vision" of a decent quality of life, are too far advanced for another persons concern. You have to crawl to walk. If you have to choose between a thrid meal and a walk over a shut off notice and hiding inside from local violence, which one wins? You already had lunch and got to play at recess at school. Lets just turn on the TV and eat these chips so we can be safer.

I think fresh foods in schools coupled with proper education to parents is a great start. That is what the article said they were advocating for. Sorry to go on for so long. This happens to be a priority in my life right now. I'm in Michigan. There are people with college degrees working at McDonalds. Guess what you can afford to feed your family when you work in fast food? Yup, fast food and whatever you can buy with foodstamps. Guess how often you get to spend time with your kids? Not as often as someone with a regular schedule. Guess where your priorities go when you are struggling to keep your home from forclosure and keep the heat and lights on? Not to healthy food and exercise, thats for sure. What good is fresh food when you have no gas or electricity?

OK, I'm done.
  • lovely78
    lovely78 Posts: 8
    Options
    The big problem here is lack of exercise. My friends and I grew up on school lunch and junk food - but we were always physically active. We had gym once a week but lunch recess every day. We were always at the park after school. Also, we didnt' have endless video games and 200+ cable channels at our disposal either. Moreover, we had dinner at home at least 4 days of the week.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm blaming all of this on the video games.

Sorry to crash your theory here, but I've never enjoyed video games. I was an overweight child, an obese teenager, and grew into being a very obese adult, topping out at over 270 pounds. :noway:
    So, video games may compound the issue, but it's certainly not completely the fault of video games by any stretch.
    I for one simply didn't know how to know better. :ohwell:
    At least I've figured it out now.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, loves video games. So much so that he not only spends a lot of his free time playing them, but he also programs and sells them. He's about 15 pounds overweight and this is pretty much the biggest he's ever been.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Our school provides a salad bar with many healthy choices for the kids in addition to their main line lunch. The problem is that these kids won't eat from it. We have kids that parents will approve for them to get two main line lunches but these kids turn their noses up at the fresh fruit and veggies offered to them every day.
    I really don't think it's the school's fault that kids are obese. I think it's more the eating habits they develop because so many people eat on the run these days.
    I do think they should take out chocolate milk and the high sugared juices. If you just offer white milk or water, that will cut a lot of calories.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree that much of the blame should go to the parents. However, I also agree that school lunches are majority of the problem in many cases.

Obesity rates tend to be higher in low income areas. These are the kids that are eating breakfast and lunch at school and snacks at latchkey or day care. I can actually count on both hands some children who rely on those foods for all of their nutrition because there is no money for dinner in many of these families. I have been there myself. Telling my daughter to fill up and don't pass on the free stuff at school cuz we won't have dinner tonight. You can go to a food bank and you get the same low quality foods, so these people are just out of luck for the most part. Especially if they are in the city with no car. This means they can find a fast food place by foot instead of an actual grocery store. (Detroit has no chain grocery stores at all, just the cheapy places where you get proccessed foods) Or they have to budget food stamps at the corner liquor store. Ever check out the food at your local liquor store?

That being said, this article was in direct reference to the fact that the military has to turn people away because they are obese. Who is the most likely to head to the recruiters office in their senior year? The kids in the low income areas who can't get into or afford college. Or they need a quick solution to provide for their family. I grew up in the burbs and hung out in the city. Of all the different people I have known, the ones who joined the military were more likely to come from the city. My suburban friends all went to college to avoid the military...... Or they got into acedemic trouble, legal trouble, drug problems, or baby mamma drama and off they went. In my class of 400, only 3 joined the military by choice. 1 joined to kick a drug addiction and make himself look better 7 years after he dropped out.

I'm not saying that this removes parent responsibility from the low income areas. (And I'm not saying that suburban kids don't join the military. Just that recruits are more likely to come from the lower-class) But you can't look at all classes, demographics, or situations the same way. Its a completely different way of life. When you have to work 2,3, or 4 jobs, you're happy that your kid has anything to eat at all. You can't be picky when you can't afford to support your own family. You don't have time to worry about going to the park or taking a walk. Especially when the local park has been overtaken by gangs, drug dealers and prostitutes. And your street is not even safe enough to sit on the porch and watch your kids play on the lawn. You have to be greatful that the fact that, after you don't have any money left after you pay the rent and utilities, that your kid has a place to be that is free and they feed him/her. As hard as it is for most people to hear, the things we find important just complicate things for others.

I'm currently trying to get a Blessings in a Backpack program here in my community. I'm in an area where people used to be considered middle to upper class. The free lunch program was non-existant around here. Today more than half of the district relys on free lunch. Many of those families don't have enough food to feed their families over the weekend. The kids get chicken nuggets, pizza, burgers, etc. They have a salad bar, but the kids take the pudding and jello before they will touch the real food. Most of the foods served are unrecognisable. And every meal comes with chocolate milk and a "treat". Breakfast is bagels, pop tarts, doughnuts, cereal, and cereal bars. Snacks are crackers, cookies, or leftover cereal.

I think we all tend to look at the world through our own eyes. Its easier to look at someone and pick out the faults that you think are the cause of their problem. You really don't know unless you have been there; that certain things we take for granted, no matter how neccessary to "our vision" of a decent quality of life, are too far advanced for another persons concern. You have to crawl to walk. If you have to choose between a thrid meal and a walk over a shut off notice and hiding inside from local violence, which one wins? You already had lunch and got to play at recess at school. Lets just turn on the TV and eat these chips so we can be safer.

I think fresh foods in schools coupled with proper education to parents is a great start. That is what the article said they were advocating for. Sorry to go on for so long. This happens to be a priority in my life right now. I'm in Michigan. There are people with college degrees working at McDonalds. Guess what you can afford to feed your family when you work in fast food? Yup, fast food and whatever you can buy with foodstamps. Guess how often you get to spend time with your kids? Not as often as someone with a regular schedule. Guess where your priorities go when you are struggling to keep your home from forclosure and keep the heat and lights on? Not to healthy food and exercise, thats for sure. What good is fresh food when you have no gas or electricity?

OK, I'm done.

Very well said and all very true.