Clothing question for the plus size ladies

Options
Can any of you suggest a sports bra or brand for me? It seems I have tried so many and they are all either way too tight or small, or too big and don't add enough support. I typically wear a size 40C, 42C, or in some brands a 40D. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Quin_Kirk_K
    Quin_Kirk_K Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, i normally end up with my regular bra and then puttng two sports bras on over it but i've found that Champion works well, I still have to double up though. I'm a 36 DD I do a lot of dancing and my Zumba likes to add in a lot of jumping and i've never had an issue. But I had an old sports bra that was magical by Aspire, support but not suffocating, but i haven't been able to find any by them recently.
  • akafn
    akafn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant just started carrying some sports bras that have gotten good reviews from customers in your size range. Most fit up to a DD in most band sizes, and a few DDD in others. Unfortunately, I can't give my own review because I am G and H. But here is the link.

http://www.lanebryant.com/cacique-plus-size-sexy-bras-intimate-apparel/performance-wear/4043c17999/index.cat
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always recommend sports bras by Moving Comfort. I am a DD and find that they fit well and have great support.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42C, which is annoying itself since a lot of the bras at places like lane bryant are for much larger cup sizes. For sports bras, I need a quick fix, so I went around to local stores. I also wanted to stay fairly cheap. The local walmart would not let me try on or return bras if they were the wrong size. (Not sure if that was a local issue or store policy, but it's dumb.) Academy didn't carry plus sizes (I have a feeling they still feel fat people don't work out). Finally found some that worked at Target, but they only had two kind of bras, one of which was tshirt material and had spaghetti straps (I guess it would be ok if you didn't actually have boobs?).
  • HealthyLifestyleG525
    Options
    Champion (available at Target) works reasonably well for me too but I don't do a lot of running or jumping. I am a 40D or DD and bought the XXL. Maybe the XL would fit a little more snuggly and give more support? I don't have a problem with uni-boob with this sports bra and it is extremely comfortable.

I will have to try doubling up or wearing a regular bra underneath if I am going to be doing more vigorous activities.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    have shock absorber bras. I found by going down a cup size and a band size that it kept everything in place really well - just couldn't wear it for long periods of time lol
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree with the champion that is sold at Target. I get an XXL as I am a 38DDD, as measured by Lane Bryant. I bought the cami-style because it was cute and it holds pretty well. As long as you don't do any heavy jumping you should be fine. I do Zumba, so I'm going to have to double up for all of the shimmying and jumping we do. As far as a full support, you might want to find a sports bra that actually hooks in the back and has an under wire. I know that Walmart is now carrying a Danskin sports bra just like that.
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    I bought some a few years back at walmart there called best form and they are awesome I don't know if they still sell them or not :)
  • HealthyLifestyleG525
    Options
    ok I tried it out, the Champion over a regular bra is an awesome idea!! Thanks ladies! And two Champions over a regular bra...you don't move at all (but I found it too constricting).
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    check out www.biggerbras.com They have a clearance on, or they did recently, and they have some really good sports bras for around $32. They take returns if they don't fit.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My girls are not very large but they don't like being jostled around during exercise. I've had excellent luck with the sport bras at Lane Bryant.. They have LOTS of 40-42 C size there.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42C, which is annoying itself since a lot of the bras at places like lane bryant are for much larger cup sizes. For sports bras, I need a quick fix, so I went around to local stores. I also wanted to stay fairly cheap. The local walmart would not let me try on or return bras if they were the wrong size. (Not sure if that was a local issue or store policy, but it's dumb.) Academy didn't carry plus sizes (I have a feeling they still feel fat people don't work out). Finally found some that worked at Target, but they only had two kind of bras, one of which was tshirt material and had spaghetti straps (I guess it would be ok if you didn't actually have boobs?).

Really? Walmart wouldn't let you try on bras? My local store lets you...that's really weird.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I wear an Anita maximum control sports bra. It's expensive, but worth every penny. I can run in it, actually, even jumping jacks are fine. It claps in the back, so I don't have to fight to put it on. The straps are nice and padded, and the entire thing is breathable and moisture wicking. In fact, I just bought a new one today. It's pretty wonderful.

No matter what brand you choose, my recommendation would be to go in and get fitted for one, my size was totally different then I thought it was.

Edited to add that I'm a 38F, and the bra still holds them in place.
  • JonesM7801
    JonesM7801 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lulu lemon! I started out as a 44DDD and am now a 40D. I purchased a lulu lemon sports bra over a year ago and it has carried me through three 5k races, an 8k race, and countless zumba and personal workouts :) It is a bit pricey but i never feel like my breasts are in the way or are going to fall out.

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-sports-bras/Ta-Ta-Tamer-II-31110?cc=8532&skuId=3480598&catId=women-sports-bras
  • notarini
    Options
    I am a 40DD and I do grappling and Zumba so I like to keep them nice and tight. What works best for me is the TekGear sports bras at Kohls. I buy one L and one XL in the same color and wear them both at the same time(XL on first). I get great support that way.
  • kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a few of the Nike that I absolutely love. They are made of a compression sport like fabric and hold up well. I use them for CrossFit, which has be doing many different things including running, jump rope, olympic lifting, and tire flips (as a large range of different things) and they hold up well for all of those.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I am not plus size but I do have to wear plus size bras cause my cup size is too big (very annoying...)

Anyways went sports bra shopping yesterday actually (failed, but will try again next week). I tried on a Shock Absorber (the classic one I believe) and let me just say, well you know Madonna's cone shapped bra? LOL The girls didn't move much, but WOW did it look bad (and uncomfortable).

Next week they get in the Freya Active Sports bra which I am psyched about!! :D I'm hopeing to have more luck because I have heard really good things about the Freya line :) Maybe I'm optimistic but the 2 bra method is getting annoying! lol
  • JLBusby115
    Options
    Funny you should ask... Try the Wacoal Sports bra w/underwire. I have two and have used them when hiking in the mountains. They look weird because the underwire is on the OUTSIDE of the bra. They go up to 42G (maybe even larger...). It has wicking material on the back and instead of lingerie straps they have hooks to adjust the straps. This is not a "uni-boob" bra - it has two separate stretchy cups. They are $65.00 @ Dillard's. Be sure to get fit properly - Dillard's does it for free.
  • SannyBea
    SannyBea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Which sports bras prevent the dreaded uni-boob? Right now I wear a sports bra over a regular bra for just that reason. Are there any places that sell them for relatively cheap? I love the products at Lane Bryant, but not the prices...
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I agree with shock absorbers. Get at least a cup size smaller, get underbust smaller if you can without it being uncomfortable and on the tightest hook.
    The crappy ones from supermarkets usually do nothing or go out of shape after the first wash and are useless, i used to wear 2.
    This sounds stupid but ive also discovered that the ones that make your boobs pointy shaped seem to have the best support lol