What's up with protein shakes? (A no0b would like to know.)

Options
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is a basic/old topic, but I did a search of the boards and didn't quite get my answers.

I'm looking to lose about 15 pounds, since that's what I was when I was running regularly, and it's solidly in the middle of my my recommended, healthy BMI. range. I'm currently on the border of healthy and overweight right now. I started watching my calories (1410 a day before exercise) about a month ago and a plan for exercising six days a week a little over a week ago. So far, I've lost about a pound.

Anyways... I'm wondering why exactly people drink protein shakes, and if they would help someone like me. I do cardio every time I exercise and strength activities every other day, whether with machines at the gym or body weight exercises at home. It seems like people use this for muscle recovery mostly after strength training or to meet their daily protein goals. Are there other reasons?

Almost every day, I surpass my protein requirements, according to the MFP plan, whether I'm eating meat or having a vegetarian day (mainly because I often have 2 eggs for breakfast), so if they would help me, it would be for a reason other than needing more protein. (Unless people believe MFP underestimates the need.) Thanks for your help!

Replies

• randilious
    Options
    I drink a protein shake once a day to help avoid hunger! They are generally low calorie and high protein which curbs hunger for longer periods of time!!!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use protien shakes or bars to help keep me from getting hungry.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So maybe it's a good midday snack to prevent me from going nuts from hunger and buying Ben and Jerry's? :) Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So maybe it's a good midday snack to prevent me from going nuts from hunger and buying Ben and Jerry's? :) Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

If you find one you like it can be perfect for this.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Mine is breakfast.. otherwise i'd likely skip breakfast (often do if I don't make it)

Plus it helps me reach the amount of protein I should be eating.
    Mines a bit higher in calories.. around 350..
    also.. i'm generally not hungry for hours after eating this. .it is heavy on the dairy though..

1/2 c plain nonfat greek yogurt (I don't like full fat or flavored yogurt)
    1/4 c 1% milk (or full fat milk)
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    4 fresh frozen (by me) strawberries
    1 tbsp flax seed
    squeeze honey
    and if you want to you can crack an egg into it

blend until smooth.
    can sub the fruit for any you want.
    i use bananas sometimes or both.

My other breakfast smoothie is like 500 calories and has much more stuff in it. lol. including PB2. I rarely ever eat that one.. i don't like the PB2 much either..
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    Also the pre-set for MPF has notoriously low protein content. Try changing your macros. Click my home, click goals, click custom, and switch it to 40% Carb, 30% Fat, 30% Protein. Try it for a week. You'll feel great!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I use them as a supplement to insure get enough protein to meet my nutritional targets based on my exercise program. I shoot for 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. For me that is about 150 grams and I can't always get there without a protein shake.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I use them as a supplement to insure get enough protein to meet my nutritional targets based on my exercise program. I shoot for 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. For me that is about 150 grams and I can't always get there without a protein shake.
    ^ This (except it's almost 190 grams for me.)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Almost every day, I surpass my protein requirements, according to the MFP plan, whether I'm eating meat or having a vegetarian day (mainly because I often have 2 eggs for breakfast), so if they would help me, it would be for a reason other than needing more protein. (Unless people believe MFP underestimates the need.) Thanks for your help!

No, people living in developed countries generally get plenty of protein from their diet. If I was to drink protein shakes, it would be to keep me full for longer periods of time.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they can help if you are low in protein or trying to stave off hunger with something quick and easy and not totally carbs. On the other hand, it can be hidden calories (and even carbs for some!) and even sabotage weight-loss goals. Most protein shakes and bars were not designed to help lose weight, but to help in building muscle.

That said, if you read the labels carefully and make sure that it fits in your calorie and macros goal, there's nothing inherently wrong with protein shakes. IMO actual food is a better way to deal with the hungry-munchies, but some people do fine with shakes.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    to echo a bit of what others have said:
    - the macros on MFP have the protein requirement set pretty low, having "2 eggs most days" would get you nowhere close to your daily requirements.
    - protein is protein is protein, doesnt matter if it comes from lean meat, eggs, or in a shake. the only difference with some protein powders/bars is clever marketing - they add a heap of carbs and voila! Instant mass gainer! or add in some natural herbs and things, yay! protein perfect for women! you can just get plain old protein powder that is just protein and fairly low in fat & carbs so have a think about how it aligns with your goals.
    - shakes are "Supplements", if you cant get your protein from other dietary sources need to "supplement" your diet, great. if you can get enough protein from "real food" and dont need shakes, thats cool too.
    - protein is supposed to be good for helping dieters bc it is reported to keep you feeling fuller for longer.

having said all of that, protein shakes (protein powder mixed in with some iced coffee flavored milk) are a semi-regular breakfast for me bc it cuts down on time in the morning. i also usually have a shake at the gym for convenience, i can be there for 3-4 hours in the evening so this lets me eat (essentially what would be dinner) during my workout without feeling (or being!) sick.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I started so I could get enough protein in my day without too many calories, then I started liking it even more cuz it's a quick easy breakfast. Now it's both of those, plus I REALLY love the taste, it's like a chocolate treat for me.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ^ This (except it's almost 190 grams for me.)
    I try to mix mine into my oatmeal, or just have a shake with breakfast since I hardly get any protein then. I'm in the same boat as these guys, and getting 150g+ is kinda tough. I can only eat so many chicken breasts in a week! I use the protein to help with muscle recovery from heavy lifting
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    there are lots of uses. Whey protein is good for after a workout (especially after strength) because it is very fast absorbing and has all the amino acids, so it helps your muscles recover, it doesn't bulk you, it can help you build lean muscle. Depending on the type of protein you get (brand) it can be anywhere between like 10 grams of protein a scoop or like 30 (maybe more, idk exactly). So they are usually low cal, low fat, some have more added fat and carbs, for fat loss you want one that is at least 50% protein, so it doesn't have so much added fat and carbs.
    Now whey shakes can be used as meal replacements, but for meal replacement a soy or cassein based protein is better because it's slower absorbing.
    Protein is hard to get for some people in lean forms because sometimes lean meats can be more expensive, or people don't like the taste, so then you might use a protein shake. Also if you have a hard time meeting your protein macro and/or your calories, they're good. And for after workouts as recovery, and to help you build lean mass.
    They're fine if you are trying to lose weight, especially because you are doing strength training, just find one you like that has a lot of protein, not a lot of fat, and it should be fine.

I use EAS because it's cheap, target, costco, it's got 13 grams a scoop, i usually make a shake with 8oz water and 2 scoops, very low fat and sugar so it's just a lot of protein, i don't need the ones with like 60 grams because i get a lot of lean meats and nuts and stuff, but I want to build lean muscle and lose BF% and also I have issues meeting my calorie goals.
    Also when I'm at school and having morning class i use it as breakfast because i don't have time to get proper breakfast, and it has less calories and more protein than most protein bars and stuff and to me it tastes better.
  • Ginn123
    Ginn123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is great info. I might look into making protein shakes. Is Garden of Life Raw Meal similar to protein shakes b/c that's what I use as a meal replacement?
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    whey protein isolate is pretty much all protein. The one I use is 115 cals, 27g of protein, 1g carbs. It helps me balance my macros, because in nature, protein usually comes with fat.

I never really liked chocolate flavoured whey protein mixed with water, so drinking whey was always a chore, usually done post workout. I also found that I liked the flavours that were more like kool-aid if it had to be mixed with water. But now, I use a peanut butter chocolate flavoured powder and I mix it with unsweetened almond milk (either chocolate or vanilla) and a couple ice cubes- it's like a milkshake! I actually enjoy drinking it now, usually for dessert!
  • ShoshanahM
    Options
    I never really liked chocolate flavoured whey protein mixed with water, so drinking whey was always a chore, usually done post workout. I also found that I liked the flavours that were more like kool-aid if it had to be mixed with water. But now, I use a peanut butter chocolate flavoured powder and I mix it with unsweetened almond milk (either chocolate or vanilla) and a couple ice cubes- it's like a milkshake! I actually enjoy drinking it now, usually for dessert!

I asked all these questions because I saw so many people on the boards talking about protein shakes and I tried one today at a shake shop across from my gym. I had a mint mocha shake; it looked like it had a scoop of the powder, ice and almond milk--similar to what you said you have. It was very tasty, very much like a dessert or blended iced coffee drink. It was so sweet that I'm just wondering if it had real sugar/corn syrup solids, aspartame, or stevia. I'm trying to keep non-fruit sugar to a minimum. I'll have to ask them when I go back. I could definitely see myself using this as an alternative dessert.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Most of them will have a sweetener added, though you can get plain unflavoured WPI and add your own ingredients (fruit etc) if you prefer.

btw, I wanted to comment on your original post, it seems like you have taken a very sensible approach and have a good plan for your fat loss (resistance and cardio exercise with a reasonable caloric deficit). Nice.
  • ShoshanahM
    Options
    Also the pre-set for MPF has notoriously low protein content. Try changing your macros. Click my home, click goals, click custom, and switch it to 40% Carb, 30% Fat, 30% Protein. Try it for a week. You'll feel great!

I don't worry too much when I'm over on protein--I'm usually under on carbs, at target or a little over on fat. I have to eat gluten-free, but I feel that my morning g/f toast and the potatoes or brown rice that I usually have later in the day is plenty for carbs, but MFP keeps telling me to do more! :)

I'll look more about percentages for macos--thanks for the tip!
  • ShoshanahM
    Options
    Most of them will have a sweetener added, though you can get plain unflavoured WPI and add your own ingredients (fruit etc) if you prefer.

btw, I wanted to comment on your original post, it seems like you have taken a very sensible approach and have a good plan for your fat loss (resistance and cardio exercise with a reasonable caloric deficit). Nice.

I'd prefer stevia, but if it's just a bit of sugar, I could probably deal with it, especially on a day that I'm being a total beast in the gym.

Thanks for the encouragement--it's sometimes hard to be sensible as a young woman with all the images of super thin ladies out there (I'm sure there's similar pressure for men). As much as I'd love to look like Jillian Michaels or Lolo Jones, realistically, I can just be a fitter, more energetic version of who I am now, and I'm looking forward to that.