afraid of ' maintenance' fear of food ?

Options
I am 12 lbs away from my goal weight and starting to become fearful of how I will handle ' maintenance' . I was just reading what my TDEE is which is 1740 and just the thought of eating that much food made me break out in a sweat. I"ve been eating 1200 or less calories per day for close to a year with a cheat day thrown in here or there and I've lost 33 lbs . I'm afraid of eating ' too much'. Is this a normal feeling? Anyone have any thought, suggestions?

Replies

• Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a normal feeling. Or at least, I hope so, since I'm feeling the same way.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I just started mainenance last Sunday and it is taking a bit to wean myself from the dieting mindset. I have been logging my food and will continue at least for awhile, until I feel like I can get the hang of it without looking. I have been a daily weigher, but put the scale away last Sunday. I am a little nervous as I will weigh myself this Sunday and I am afraid that I have put on 5 pounds even though I have been slightly under my cals everyday.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, adjust up by 150 - 250 calories at a time. Give it 2 weeks, 1 week to spike 5 lbs (it will happen don't freak out). Then week 2 to settle down, you'll probably start loosing again. Then you adjust up again. I adjusted up from 1300 a day all the way up to 3250 to find my maintenance. It just takes time. You can do it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    OMG I am so scared of this. It's so completely irrational and I really dislike the feeling
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am a couple pounds away as well and feeling the ame way! I am also going to go up slowly with calories to find the right level, though I will log for quite awhile yet;)
  • corimat17
    corimat17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have about 12lbs to go also. I'm going to start slowly adding calories like other people have said. I've also stayed under 1200 calories since August and think that if I eat more I'm going to be overstuffed and feel sick. Hopefully, we will learn where we feel comfortable!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I have about 12lbs to go also. I'm going to start slowly adding calories like other people have said. I've also stayed under 1200 calories since August and think that if I eat more I'm going to be overstuffed and feel sick. Hopefully, we will learn where we feel comfortable!

If you've been on 1200 then you've probably gotten used to avoiding foods that are calories dense. There are plenty of foods that are healthy that you can add in to boost your calories that won't make you feel stuffed. Avocado, peanut butter, nuts, dark chocolate
  • Marie12059
    Options
    i can say that i have thought ahead to the spot you are in. i asked my doc and his nutritionist about it, and they said that as long as the total lifestyle changes are still working good for me, there is no NEW adjustments to do at that time. maybe because i am older its different? not sure. but i am happy with the adding of being GF and sugar free as a permanent change.