Weight lifting, where do I start?

Options
2»

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A good basic program is Stronglifts 5x5 at stronglifts.com. It incorporates the main compound lifts of squat, bench press, overhead press, barbell row, and deadlift. You do need access to an olympic weight set and a power cage (or spotters).
    Someone else said "Starting Strength" which is a similar program but I think it incorporates power cleans which you would eventually need access to bumper plates and a platform for since you are dropping weights.
    You work out 3 days per week, squatting every time, and rotating the other exercises. You do each exercise 5 sets of 5 reps with the exception of deadlifts which is 1 set of 5 reps.
    This program was appealing to me because it focuses on strength, not bodybuilding. So no isolation split routines for 3 hours a day 6 days a week. This leaves plenty of off days for running or whatever other stuff you like to do.
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a trx class and i love it! The moves can all be modified to be easier or harder. I have a long way to go still, but after a month i am already a lot stronger.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding dot com has a bunch of free exercise plans, weight training how-to videos and forum support
  • roopesh12
    roopesh12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have gone through thousands of websites with each one claming to the the holy grail :-(

Accidently I found this book "Strength Training" by Lee E. Brown. This is an awesome book becuase the excercise and the theory proposed in this book is actually backed by science and data. I dont think there is any other subustitute for hard data :-)
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I don't really feel comfortable doing weights at the gym, but know that I need to start in order to be healthy.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 & maybe that's why I don't care what anyone thinks at the gym? I did start working out with a Trainer 3 mos. ago as I had absolutely no weight training experience & no idea how to start. I love it & wish I could afford more sessions. I have learned a lot and have been able to do things I never thought I'd be able to do. Form is so important at any age to avoid injury & get the most benefit. Don't be intimidated at the gym,or, maybe change to a different gym? Myabe it's just that we feel awkward when we're new? I've found that everyone has been happy to help when I have any questions. Best wishes.
  • hhindsle
    hhindsle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Book: Gold's Gym guide to getting started in body building
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of awesome responses, thanks everyone.

I am not necessarily "scared" of the gym. I used to go to alot of spin classes, cardio kick-mix etc. Its just the weight area. All those dudes in a concentrated small space lol.

I should have titled this strength training, because I haven't made up my mind what exactly I want to do yet. But this gives me a good start for research.
  • candacekohler
    candacekohler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started out by taking a Weight Lifting class at the gym. It's called "Pump". It is a guided class with all weights. I've gained so much muscle from it and have learned so many things to do outside class, it was a good place for me to start. AND I love it. :)
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hop on any machine you are comfortable with and casually observe those who are lifting. It gives you ideas, and then come home and do some research. When you are feeling brave, wander over and pretend you know what you are doing. Eventually you will know what you are doing! It stops being scary I promise ;)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will have some sort of orientation program. Check that out. At least you'll know how to work the equipment that way.