machine calories vs MFP calcualations on calories burned

Options
I noticed that the elliptical machine I used at at LaFittness today displayed or calculated that for the 45 minutes on level 9 it showed I burned

304 calories.. that seems kinda of low.. MFP says 862..

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP, and I am loosing very near what they tell my I will... I trust MFP.
  • lorindaleigh
    lorindaleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I follow the machines because it actually calculates my heart rate.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have an heart moniter and have used a bike and stair stepper and both counts on the machine have been off. The longer I am on them the more they are off.
  • ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    I just got a fitness watch: basicly it monitors my steps, distance, time & I can check my heart rate. I have only used it a few days but I find that I do a lot more walking in a day than I had been entering. I have the same problem - worrying that the watch is accurate. But it seems to no be overly sensitive, so I am guessing that it is pretty good however. If your machine lets you adjust for your body, then I would think it would be pretty accurate, but if not it may be off. Good luck.
  • kevinlovesfishing
    Options
    I follow the machines because it actually calculates my heart rate.

that may be where the difference is the heart rate, level, and time all have to be calculated..

I wonder if MFP is looking at my age and time on the machine.. etc but it does not calculate the speed.. etc.. because on an elliptical the steps are counted which total up the distance.. maybe that's where I should get my calculation.. distance vs time..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the elliptical machine I used at at LaFittness today displayed or calculated that for the 45 minutes on level 9 it showed I burned

304 calories.. that seems kinda of low.. MFP says 862..

Any thoughts?

Kevin

You are not comparing apples to apples. When it comes to ellipticals MFP uses very broad categories to categorize intensity. The machine is measuring the actual workload. So if the two matched, it would be more random coincidence.

That being said, elliptical calorie counts are often overstated. That is because the equations used to translate the workload into a calorie estimate are not very accurate.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If a machine gives numbers I use those. I mainly use a stationary bike and it gives higher numbers than MFP, and I tend to lose weight a bit faster on average than MFP predicts (over the past year). I'm not sure the level setting on the machine means much by itself; it's the combination of the setting and how fast you can make it go that determines how many calories you burn in a given time. You might burn more on a lower setting but moving faster - there's usually a "sweet spot" and I find myself bumping levels up and down looking for it.
  • kevinlovesfishing
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and opinion, this morning I woke up and thought to myself not to worry about any of the numbers, including my weight numbers on the scale.

Just put my energy into the workout, do the time, and enjoy the fact I am living a better healthier life.

Thank you all!