FITBIT help

Options
I just gor my fitbit and LOVE it. It takes some getting used to. The question I have is do you still have to post your exercise on MFP? I know it is connected because my calorie intake goes up. I dusted off my treadmill and started doing 45 minutes of a fast paced walk to push over 10,000 steps of course. So now I am debating on wether to eat more calories or remain where you are? It sure has got me motivated and challanged me to make mini goals on how many steps I take in a day. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Replies

• SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you have MFP and FitBit linked and you're doing something like the treadmill, do not add it to MFP as exercise or it will double count it. If you're doing strength training or weight lifting, you need to go in and adjust your exercise because FitBit doesn't log those things. Hope that helps!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If its walking or whatever it easily calculates I leave it be. If its something more complex I hit the stopwatch and log it on MFP.
  • ajpeardon
    ajpeardon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think yes, you still have to post your exercise on MFP, but now it asks you for your start time and I think the fitbit automatically adjusts the extra calories from looking at your steps during that time period. I just got mine too and really like it so far-it is very motivating! Got my 10,000 in today-woot woot!!!!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You continue to track your food and exercise on MFP. If you've linked up your FitBit to MFP then it will prompt you for the time you started the activity, so it doesn't double count. I've had my fitbit for a week now and it seems to pull the calorie count as displayed on FitBit from the settings in MFP. Thus, the better you track the more accurate it is.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you're asking do I eat my FitBit calories back: YES MA'AM I do!!

Damn skippy! :)
  • geminijai
    Options
    The FitBit and MFP apps actually work together and it's awesome!

For example, I ran 3 miles last Saturday at a 6mph/pace and logged my run (activity + duration + time started) and MFP reflected a 430 calorie burn based on my age/weight... However, my FitBit knew that I'd actually burned more calories than MFP tracked during that same timeframe-- so it added an additional 46 calories to my burn - for a total of 476.

It really helps to keep an accurate count of your calories and activity - which is why I always log my workouts, regardless of the FitBit calorie adjustment feature.
  • ashalfy
    ashalfy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! It works so well for me becausee of my job, I am moving and walking so much it is nice to know that myp and the fitbit sync and I will earn those calories back! After a morning shift, I will be starving and the fitbit helps me understand why. I love the feeling at the end of the day when fitbit syncs and gives you extra calories from your daily activites! I still track exercise through a HRM, but like already stated it asks for times started so it doesn't double count.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The fitbit calculates walking and running fairly accurate. For anything else, it is not every accurate with counting calories. I still use an HRM for other workouts. I sync it up to an app like endomondo which also syncs up to MFP and fitbit. This way I get regular activities, workouts, sleep, etc...everything.

And be careful about eating all your calories back the fitbit tells you about. It is not merely counting exercise calories, or "extra" calories. If you wear it all day, it will calculate TDEE. You don't want to eat back that much...like today, I've already burned 1900 calories. But, that is NOT exercise calories. That's just all day calories including sleep since midnight.

It does take some getting used to, but I love mine.