Fitness Magazines

Options
OKay, I am thinking about ordering some kind of fitness magazine. I know there is Shape, Fitness, Women's something or other and a slew of healthy cooking/living kinds of magazines. I'm interested in one with a focus on exercise I think. I keep looking at them at the store and can't decide which is the better one to order. I'd like it to be somewhat accurate and trustworthy.

I'm thinking that monthly reminder in the mail would be nice and I enjoy reading magazines when I travel...What are your thoughts?

Replies

• tapdance66
    Options
    I like Fitness best. I also do like Shape, though. I have subscribed to both for years.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's hardly any good advice in fitness magazines. Their primary goal is to cater to their advertisers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a big fan...there is some useful information in them, but there's also a lot of crap and "bro-science" in there to filter through too. Whatever you do, make sure you do some research too...don't just believe it because it was in a health or fitness magazine.
  • Bambers14
    Bambers14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    FitnessRx is my favourite followed closely by Muscle and Fitness Hers and finally Oxygen. They are more sided towards weight training and circuit training but they also have a lot of good HIIT Circuits in them for the cardio machines.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    "Prevention" is not bad, I've only read in the check out line though heh
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    There's hardly any good advice in fitness magazines. Their primary goal is to cater to their advertisers.

THIS!! and they all teach us to set unrealistic goals and expectations... 5 min abs? seriously.
  • orangelobster
    Options

Print media has changed massively in the past few years and especially since the recession. Newspapers (dailies) but magazines too. One can blame the internet for that as well.

It is all advertising driven now - that where the revenue is. This is why there are freebies around these days. Therefore, unless it is a respected writer, if the article mentions a product (in a review or something) then I am suspicious.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you can take what you read with a grain of salt...I would suggest Fitness. They have some pretty good workouts in them sometimes and some interesting reads.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

^Exactly this! There is better information to be found by subscribing to newsletters online from respected trainers and strength coaches.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I like mens health because its more than just fitness related. Not sure what I can recommend for you. What kind of activity do you enjoy? Theres runners world or something for runners if you enjoy running
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have tried to read Shape and Fitness, but they are mostly fluff and tend to repeat themselves, same article recycled every few months, and feel like remodeled fashion magazines to me.

My favorite magazine related to fitness, health, and weight loss is Health magazine. I find a lot of information in it and have even saved articles from it, which I rarely do with other magazines.
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you do not subscribe, but instead treat yourself to a different magazine each month. If you like the bookstore, turn going there once a month into a reward. Grab a coffee and browse through all the issues before you decide what to buy. Then, if by the end of the year you realize you like one magazine more than the others and it fits with your lifestyle, subscribe to that one.
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options

this.

Anything in those magazines you can find on google... and probably more accurate/diverse information on the internet as well. I wouldn't waste my money on magazines telling me my workout gear isn't cute enough and having only 2-3 pages of actual useful information
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like mens health because its more than just fitness related. Not sure what I can recommend for you. What kind of activity do you enjoy? Theres runners world or something for runners if you enjoy running

I actually like Mens' Health as well and I'm a lady. Most of the fitness advice in there can be applied to women and it isn't 80% clothes & makeup like Women's Health is (seriously, Women's Health, wtf)
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    FitnessRx is my favourite followed closely by Muscle and Fitness Hers and finally Oxygen. They are more sided towards weight training and circuit training but they also have a lot of good HIIT Circuits in them for the cardio machines.

This!! Muscle & Fitness Hers and Oxygen are definitely a lot better than fluff stuff like Fitness and Shape which tend to be a bit more fad focused. I know a lot of women look at the cover and freak out thinking that they are going to turn into uber-buff bodybuilder chicks, but that is hardly the case. They always have great workouts and meal plans that focus on eating clean and not so much of the fad diets that the other ones tend to follow.
  • roadtripper23
    Options
    Personally I get all the moves I need off of Pinterest. Doesn't cost anything and you can get everything you need.
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    You could also check them out from your local library and see what you enjoy.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The only fitness magazine I would spend my money on is Oxygen...I have had a subscription for 3 years now...love it! I've tried all the others and they can't compare at all...they are just fluff and ads.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I actually like Mens' Health as well and I'm a lady. Most of the fitness advice in there can be applied to women and it isn't 80% clothes & makeup like Women's Health is (seriously, Women's Health, wtf)

I totally agree. And men's health always has a pull out part for a fitness routine that are generally pretty good.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not generally a fan, but if I feel like something to read at the airport (and I've finished Vogue) I'll go for a men's health or men's fitness. The women's versions are rediculous, I hate how they have fitness models demoonstrating workouts with tiny pink dumbells and a fit ball. It's so misleading, not one of those girls got their body with that kind of workout...