Worried about the summer when I won't be able to use MPF...

Options
2»

Replies

• keelz2010
    keelz2010 Posts: 182
    Options
    Print your MFP diary :)

Try and find out what sort of food you will be eating there and log suggested daily menus/ food items in your MFP diary, print of some examples of past 'good' days, also do a screen copy of a diary day just filled with all your regular food so you have a sheet of all the nutrients/ calories they have. Then print them off along with a few copys of an empty diary page that you can fill in with a pen. You could also take some copies of your past reports so you don't forget how far you have come and lose your way.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You still have a while before summer arrives. This is a great chance to use the site to learn the calorie content of foods. You can put what you know into practice while you are there. I think most of us want to be at that point someday where we can eat well without logging!

With camps, I think it's very important to have snacks. It's tough eating well when you are served three big meals a day. I'd get famished in between and then eat too much at the meal. But having some trail mix or granola bars could help with that. However, if the camp food is as crappy as it's been in my past experiences, you'll have no trouble keeping the weight off ;)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Get a pocket notebook for the summer, then you can do it manually. You already know how it works, so just get a work out log and apply what you learned there.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Can you buy snacks or small meals to bring to the camp? Also buying a calorie counter book and writing down your meals can help!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    By summer time hopefully you'll learned enough to eat correctly by Camp.

That's what I was thinking. You should have a better idea of proper portion sizes and which foods are healthier choices by then. It's not ideal when you can't log - I've been on maintenance for years now, and I still log to make sure, but at least you'll have learned better habits by the time you get to camp. :flowerforyou:
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    If it's buffet what is served you should try and eat the same for breakfast and dinner maybe and vary on lunch, so you can mostly tell how much your intake was.
    maybe you have a HRM so you can check the calories burned while the activities?

If you don't take this option it would be good to prepare yourself and make a list with basic calories for veggies/meats/dairy/bread and also for different kind of exercises, so you could check it manually!

And you could make a food and exercise diary on paper and put it in MFP later, just to see if you managed it in a good way or not! Make it an exercise for later, you won't use MFP for your whole life, so this could be a chance to see how much you learned this far on your journey!

Good luck and have loads of fun ;)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The iPad app works without a connection, so does the android mobile app. Just use your phone to log you meals. You may consider getting a fitbit to track your calories burned or one of the other similar products on the market.

Camp sounds like a lot of fun!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Can you buy snacks or small meals to bring to the camp? Also buying a calorie counter book and writing down your meals can help!

Like I said, the meals are made for us.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The iPad app works without a connection, so does the android mobile app. Just use your phone to log you meals. You may consider getting a fitbit to track your calories burned or one of the other similar products on the market.

Camp sounds like a lot of fun!

Like I already said, I won't have my phone because I will be with the kids. No phone policy.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    You're pre-worrying about something 5-6 months away? You have 5-6 months to learn portion sizes, better choices, calories burned from various activities, etc. That's 150-180 days of eating with the mfp app to help with the math. By the time you get to camp, you really should have learned that fruit is a better choice than donuts for breakfast. If you are really concerned about micromanaging your food, get a little notebook and write it down. Otherwise, use the knowledge you will gain in the next 150-180 days to make the best possible choices and wing it. Provided you make better choices more often than not, maintain a reasonable activity level (shouldn't be too difficult at a kid's camp), you'll be fine. You might gain a few lbs, you might lose a few, you might stay the same. I think you'll surprise yourself.