Excess skin on stomach.. help!

Options
I haven't reached my weight loss goal yet.. actually I still have a bit to go. But I've noticed already that I seem to have a lot of hanging skin where I have lost fat on my stomach. Is there anything I can do to prevent having a flap of skin once I am done losing my weight? I know that it would be very discouraging not to be proud of my body after all of my hard work. My SW was 194 and I think I need to get down to around 145 for my body type.

EDIT: I also had a baby 7 months ago, so I am sure that is attributing to it. I was overweight before getting pregnant though too.

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your exercise program is but as you continue to focus on your nutrition, make sure you are adding in strength training--overall strength not just core
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Eat good, nutritious food.... Exercise including strength training.....and wait and see what your body will do.
    It is amazing how it can transform and change for the better!
    Most likely you will be very pleased with the results.
  • bethanyn311
    bethanyn311 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this topic! I was thinking after losing all the weight I wanted to then I could concentrate on toning up everywhere too ya know.
  • JodiLea123
    JodiLea123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this trouble too, just from being pregnant, not quite sure how to lose it, although i have done nothing about my nutrtition or weight since having my little one 2 and half years ago, so hopefully as its onyl been 7 months for you, you should lose it quick :)
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately reality is that some things might not 'snap back' to where you want them, or at least not as fast as you want them to, a lot of it depends on what genetics gave you as far as skin elasticity etc. But don't let that discourage you - those are "skinny girl problems" and they are a lot better to have then "fat girl problems". :)
  • Momto4under7
    Momto4under7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately reality is that some things might not 'snap back' to where you want them, or at least not as fast as you want them to, a lot of it depends on what genetics gave you as far as skin elasticity etc. But don't let that discourage you - those are "skinny girl problems" and they are a lot better to have then "fat girl problems". :)

I guess that is true. I'm fairly young, and I read somewhere that skin has more elasticity when you're young... So I'm hoping it will tighten up at least a little bit.
  • Momto4under7
    Options
    Eat good, nutritious food.... Exercise including strength training.....and wait and see what your body will do.
    It is amazing how it can transform and change for the better!
    Most likely you will be very pleased with the results.

Thank you for the encouragement. Hopefully I will be pleased.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the good old baby belly flab...I had it too...it does take a while to firm up but will for the most part, weight training helps a TON and avoid traditional crunches and opt for planks and a good diet instead.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this alot myself the last few days, I have lost over 100 pounds already, working on that last 20 or so... What bothers me, is my self esteem is actually LOWER than it ever was before, since losing this weight. I had two kids close together (13 months apart) and my highest weight was over 250. I am now at 144, have gotten down to 130, and STILL have this skin. A tummy tuck is not an option, and although it gets smaller I always have this horrible stomach that makes me so disgusted, it pretty much RUINED my relationship with my childrens father because he hated that I was never comfortable around him. Also, I think I have that seperated muscle (mine has a distinct seperation in the middle) and I can not even do 1 situp, despite trying to do other exercises to work my abs such as planks, and lots and lots of strength training. Again, I have lost over 100 pounds and yo-yoed quite a bit due to disordered eating, but I am really hoping someone can tell me that it is not too late for my body to "snap back" at least a little bit. I am 25 years old, I lost the weight over a 1.5 year period and have been at 145 for about 6 months (well, 6 months ago I had dental surgery and got down to 130 but put it right back on) I didnt wanna start a new topic, but I hope someone has some words on encouragement for me....
  • Momto4under7
    Options
    Ah yes, the good old baby belly flab...I had it too...it does take a while to firm up but will for the most part, weight training helps a TON and avoid traditional crunches and opt for planks and a good diet instead.

Why planks over crunches?
  • Momto4under7
    Options
    I was thinking about this alot myself the last few days, I have lost over 100 pounds already, working on that last 20 or so... What bothers me, is my self esteem is actually LOWER than it ever was before, since losing this weight. I had two kids close together (13 months apart) and my highest weight was over 250. I am now at 144, have gotten down to 130, and STILL have this skin. A tummy tuck is not an option, and although it gets smaller I always have this horrible stomach that makes me so disgusted, it pretty much RUINED my relationship with my childrens father because he hated that I was never comfortable around him. Also, I think I have that seperated muscle (mine has a distinct seperation in the middle) and I can not even do 1 situp, despite trying to do other exercises to work my abs such as planks, and lots and lots of strength training. Again, I have lost over 100 pounds and yo-yoed quite a bit due to disordered eating, but I am really hoping someone can tell me that it is not too late for my body to "snap back" at least a little bit. I am 25 years old, I lost the weight over a 1.5 year period and have been at 145 for about 6 months (well, 6 months ago I had dental surgery and got down to 130 but put it right back on) I didnt wanna start a new topic, but I hope someone has some words on encouragement for me....

I don't know if this will help, because I'm sort of in the same boat, but I think you are really pretty! I hope that something starts working for the skin.
  • stevenbickers76
    Options
    I've heard that you should wait up to two years after you hit your goal weight before you look to address skin issues. Just my two cents. Good Luck to all out there.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    I've heard that you should wait up to two years after you hit your goal weight before you look to address skin issues. Just my two cents. Good Luck to all out there.

Hopefully this is true, I know many people have told me I need to give it time, and in the meantime I have been using St.Ives Collagen lotion, which has helped with compared to other lotions has really helped with the stretch marks and rippled-look of my belly. Its just hard to look at every day! :)

Good luck to everyone, and I do try to remind myself the health benefits of losing all that weight will be worth whatever cosmetic issues I have to deal with
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

I don't know if this will help, because I'm sort of in the same boat, but I think you are really pretty! I hope that something starts working for the skin.

Thank you very very much!! :smile: I am going to add you as a friend on here, and good luck to you as well!!!